Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Ike Dollars - Poor Quality?

Question
Hello Mr. Fern. Thank you for taking my question. When I first returned to coin collecting, about 4 years ago, I purchased a complete Ike Dollar collection. I was new, uneducated, and paid twice what I should have. I noticed that although the coins were advertised as BU (also proofs), several of them looked milky, almost as if they had a film on them. They seemed to have little luster. I figured it was my fault for buying on impulse. Recently, I purchased 10 Ike dollars from a very reputable dealer through the mail. My thought was to replace the worst of the previous coins I bought. These 10 coins were listed as "Choice, BU." I thought, "How can I go wrong?" Well the new coins arrived and are very similar to the first ones I purchased. Is there a problem with this series? Thanks for your help. Jack

Answer
Jack:
I'm not an expert on this series. I'd think you should be able to find some nice examples with some searching. The coins were not well received and never circulated adequately. In my opinion, too heavy, especially where they were clad and didn't have any real value metalwise. I've provided you a couple of links where perhaps you can get a good answer to the quality of the strikes on this series. Good Luck, and hope this helps.

http://coins.about.com/od/Eisenhower-Ike-Dollar-Coins/a/How-To-Collect-Eisenhowe and http://www.pcgs.com/News/Eisenhower-Dollars-1971-1978

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern