Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Lincoln memorial penny casing

coin case
coin case  
QUESTION: Years ago I came across half of a penny casing given to me as change.  The main side is open wth no strike marks as if it came apart.  Have you seen one before and any ideas if it's worth anything.  Thanks

Lincoln Cent coin blank
Lincoln Cent coin blan  
ANSWER: Hello Bill,

You either have a one cent blank or possibly a slug.

Measure it to see if it is the same size as a US Cent.
It needs to weigh 3.1 grams or 2.5 grams with a Diameter of 19.05 mm (0.750 in) and a thickness of 1.52 mm (0.0598 in).

You can check it against a normal One Cent coin from your pocket.

Check to see if the edge is smooth and it has a raised rim like a normal cent.

These One Cent blanks getting out of the mint is not unheard of.
It fits through all the tests equipment and into the bags for delivery.

I see them at coin shows selling from 1 to 4 dollars. There are plenty of copper and copper colored slugs around as well so check the specifications carefully.

Also all cents made since 1982 are made of Zinc with only copper plating, these weigh 2.50 grams.

Please remember to rate this answer at the bottom of this page. And check the nomination box on the rating page below any comments you may have.

Thank You and Good Luck

QUESTION: Yes it is a casing as the side that I didn't take a photo of is printed of the Lincoln memorial and not just blank.  Thanks

Hello again Bill,

In that case the coin has been altered, not rare and it is not an error coin.

I guess you did not have time to weigh your coin, read below and if you still have a question let me know the largest city and some zip codes for your location I will look up a collector in the area for you.

I have experience with these coins and have seen them mostly in quarters, half dollars and nickels but have heard of the cents as well.

It was machined to be a trick coin. Possibly a two headed, two tailed coin or part of a dime was press fit into the empty side, also called magicians coins.

All the ones I have come across are machined out on one side, while an identical coin is thinned and slightly reduced in diameter. the smaller and thinner half is then placed in the hollowed out half coin.
Made sometimes as a novelty to sell, to fool people on a coin toss, or a machinist apprentice practicing his trade.
I have also heard of them being sawed in halves and glued together.

As a trick coin they may sell for .50 cents and up to $2 dollars in a shop. Again they are not rare, and are not in demand by coin collectors.

NOTE: The modern process the US Mint uses to produce coins makes it virtually impossible for one side to be struck and mismatched anything but the opposite side design in the presses used to stamp out coins.
If this piece was truly a mis-strike the raised edge would be deformed as well.

Thank You and Good Luck

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Knowledge of United States Coins from 1793 to date. Able to answer most common numismatic questions. Collected U.S. Coins from half cent to 50 dollar gold coins.

United States Coin COLLECTOR/DEALER OVER 20 YEARS, U.S. COINS Worked trade shows,
EXPERT Consulting since 1990, Knowledge of all methods of fabrication used in the industry.
Hobbies:US notes, clocks, cars, computers, coins, leisure activity and crafts to name a few.