Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Washington Quarter Double die 2003

Question
Hi. I recently found a 2003 Washington Quarter Maine Proof in my change, and it is a Cameo and it has strong doubling with extra letters on the date, the state E Pluribus Unum. Have you ever heard anything of this date. It is really incredible to see all the 2's 0's, and 3's. thanks.

Answer
Hi John,

There is no known doubled die for the Maine quarter, so I have to assume it's some kind of strike doubling -- large, well-focused pictures would confirm that.

Assuming it's a strike double, it's value will be $5 to $10 for the novelty value.  However, if it's a coin that failed to get ejected from the press, and got struck again, it could be worth a lot more.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore