Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Washington Quarter Double die 2003

Hi. I recently found a 2003 Washington Quarter Maine Proof in my change, and it is a Cameo and it has strong doubling with extra letters on the date, the state E Pluribus Unum. Have you ever heard anything of this date. It is really incredible to see all the 2's 0's, and 3's. thanks.

Hi John,

There is no known doubled die for the Maine quarter, so I have to assume it's some kind of strike doubling -- large, well-focused pictures would confirm that.

Assuming it's a strike double, it's value will be $5 to $10 for the novelty value.  However, if it's a coin that failed to get ejected from the press, and got struck again, it could be worth a lot more.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College