Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1944 S walking liberty

1944 S walking liberty?
1944 S walking liberty  

1944 S half dollar
1944 S half dollar  
Hi Dan,
My very good friend was cleaning up what her mother had left her (God rest her soul) and she found this 1944 S Walking liberty half dollar. She was wondering how much it might be worth in value... She is trying to pay for the funeral arrangements and was hoping this might help. Can you help us please? Is there anything special about this coin that you can see?

Hi Tiffany,

Thank you for the pictures.

During World War 2, the U.S. Mint produced a LOT of coins -- more than any period in time before that.  So most WWII era coins are considered common,

Yours is no exception.  While it is made of silver, it is well worn and a very common date.  So it's value will be based only on the approximately 1/3 ounce of silver it contains -- currently about $6.00

I know this is not going to help much with the bills, but it is what it is.

Wish I had better news for you,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College