Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1969 d Jefferson nickel

Question
Obverse 1969 d Jefferson
Obverse 1969 d Jeffers  

Reverse of 1969 d Jefferson
Reverse of 1969 d Jeff  
What grade and value would you estimate my nickel? I know it's rare to find them with steps even if not all of them are visible but the coin is beautiful for finding it in circulation. Is it worth sending in for grading? Thanks for your time and information.

Answer
Hi Bob,

In order for them to get the sought-after designation of full steps -- and thus the big value -- they have to have 5 or more steps fully visible.  Anything less than that is not going to command that big premium.  I can't see really clear from your picture, but it doesn't look like yours is going to have 5 fully defined steps.

The only other one I see that actually sold online is uncirculated, but not certified, and is ALMOST full steps -- there were weak areas within some of the steps, so those steps could not be called full.  It however only went for $10 :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381448525125

The only other one I saw online was listed for thousands of dollars, but I think that seller was dreaming.  It had some MAC sticker on it (which means virtually nothing), but NGC would not give it a full steps designation.  So I think that seller was looking for a sucker for that coin that he paid $20 for -- just my opinion though.  And it did not sell.

Anyhow, from what I can see, there is evidence of circulation on your coin, so the highest grade it could achieve would be AU.  And if you can't see 5 full steps clearly defined, it's not going to be worth paying the money to get it certified.

I hope this helps,

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore