Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Odd 1991 d

Question
1991 d penny
1991 d penny  

Doubled rim and possible die crack over the first t in trust.
Doubled rim and possib  
I was wondering if you have any information about a 1991 penny from the Denver mint? It appears to be on a steel plachet. It weighs .24 grams and is very dark in color.

Answer
Cents struck from 1983 on were made on copper plated zinc planchets. The copper plating could have been missed, but the error can also be made after the coin was struck. Planchets for these coins are made by outside sources, and inspected twice. Once by manufacturer and one by mint prior to striking. Where your coin is circulated, it is quite hard to determine if it happened before the coin was struck. It may have been buried. Circulated examples like yours may bring from $5 to $15 to interested collectors.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern