Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Series 1957B Silver certificate

Hello, I have a one dollar silver certificate series 1957B in my collection.  The signature of the Secretary of the Treasury on the bill is C. Douglas Dillon.  I looked him up and it said that he became Secretary of the Treasury January 21, 1961.  How is it that his name appears on my silver certificate dated series 1957B? I would deeply appreciate any information that you can give me about it. Thank you.

Good question!
This is one I never came across, and honestly had to research it.
What I found was that the date was actually indicative of a design change, not necessarily when the note was printed.  Sounds crazy but that is what I read.

Needless to say, all 1957 silver cents have the signature.

Thanks, I learned something today as well.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow