Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Coin? Token?

Question
Front
Front  

Back
Back  
Can you identify this? Thanks, Keith Droste

Answer
Hello Keith,

This is one of my favorite coins!

What you have there is a prototype coin. "They were a suggested design by Joseph Moore and made in either 1844 or 1848 to replace the heavy coinage then in circulation. According to Peck, the inner part was supposed to be in silver to compensate for the small intrinsic copper value but those produced in the greatest numbers had a copper outer ring and an inner part made of approximately 60% zinc / 40% nickel according to Freeman who analysed the metal composition of many coins. They were never adopted and are quite common." British Coin Forum

There is lots of info on this link - http://wbcc-online.com/new-releases/gbmodels.html
Yours looks like the 3rd one down.

In the condition that your coin is in you could expect to get $10.00.

David McConaghy
Numismatist
New England Coin Exchange

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy