Coin and Paper Money Collecting/??Dime struck on copper planchette??

Question
Front
Front  

Back
Back  
Had this coin for about 25 years. Dime sized on a copper planchette?
Can you identify something like this? Pictures attached
I can also send you a side picture if it helps

Thank you very much

Answer
Hello Ira,

This is a very intriguing coin. If the weight is close to 3 grams it is good evidence that it could be struck on a cent planchet. The strike is very week on both sides so it is difficult to see if this was something made at the mint.

It would be interesting to see if this weighs over 5 grams which could indicate that a dime planchet was in the press along with a cent planchet and the two were laminated together - I would need to see the edge to make that determination.

I would suggest that you take this to a compete credentialed numismatist for further identification or send it to PCGS for authentication.

David McConaghy  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy