Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Kennedy Half Dollars

Question
I am starting to collect these half dollars.  Can you tell me what 1979-S Pr. Var1 means, S Proof and Proof and  S Sil. Pr.?  Thank you very much!

Answer
Hi Janet
Traditionally, for this particular coin, proof coins are minted at the San Francisco mint. Hence the S mint mark

You will not find these in change, instead they are produced in what is called a proof set.  Limited production just for collectors.

As for the type one and two varieties, it's easier for you to google that.  You will be able to see pictures of the 2 varieties, it has to do with a variation of the mint mark.
Some of the proof halves were minted in normal nickel copper clad other, more valuable, in silver

I suggest you get a copy of The Guidebook To US Coins by Yeoman

It is a great reference and the 2016 edition is now available.
Have fun, it's a hobby!

Joe

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas