Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Kennedy Half Dollars

I am starting to collect these half dollars.  Can you tell me what 1979-S Pr. Var1 means, S Proof and Proof and  S Sil. Pr.?  Thank you very much!

Hi Janet
Traditionally, for this particular coin, proof coins are minted at the San Francisco mint. Hence the S mint mark

You will not find these in change, instead they are produced in what is called a proof set.  Limited production just for collectors.

As for the type one and two varieties, it's easier for you to google that.  You will be able to see pictures of the 2 varieties, it has to do with a variation of the mint mark.
Some of the proof halves were minted in normal nickel copper clad other, more valuable, in silver

I suggest you get a copy of The Guidebook To US Coins by Yeoman

It is a great reference and the 2016 edition is now available.
Have fun, it's a hobby!

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow