Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1991 dime missing "us" in pluribus

I have a 1991 dime missing the "us" in pluribus. The first U in unum is barely noticeable. It looks like it was a weak stamping. Just wanted to know if there are many like this and what your professional opinion is.
   Thank You

Hello Emily,

Its difficult to give you a specific answer without seeing this coin. It sounds like you have a "struck through grease" error. This occurs when some foreign material, lubricating grease typically gets onto the planchet or on the die. This grease prevents the die from making a complete impressions on the planchet resulting in missing features like you observed.

If you send a clear photo I can confirm this.

David McConaghy
New England Coin Exchange

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics