Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Jefferson nickel error

Hi - When I flip this 2001 P Jefferson nickel, head over heal, the image on the back is sideways.  Is this a common, known error for this coin?  Please advise.  Thank you.

There's really no such thing as a common error, but your case really stumps me.  I don't recall ever seeing anything like it, and can't even find anything with it.

That said, I'm not in a position to confirm that it is rare, or to put any kind of valuation on it.  I would definitely suggest taking it to a coin shop, or if you're on Facebook, there's a group I'm a member of called Coins, Currency, Stamps & Collectables.  I'm a member of this group, and this is where I learn a lot and where I go when I have questions.

I hope you find this information to be of some use.

Thanks for using Allexperts,

Marc Eichler

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Marc Eichler

I can answer anything relating to modern US coins and paper currency and collecting it. I can also answer some questions about Israeli currency. Please do not ask me about ancient currencies, as this is outside my area of expertise.

I have been an avid collector for many years, and while I specialize in US coinage, right now I am also focusing on silver bouillon. Silver is actually a better investment than gold, which is something a lot of people do not know!

Civil Air Patrol

Bachelor of Arts from Fairleigh Dickinson University, 2009.

General BIlly Mitchell Award - #48332