Coin and Paper Money Collecting/"Lakshmi" plaque

Positive/Negative type
Positive/Negative type  

Positive Negative type
Positive Negative type  
Your page about these is most informative. I have one that is 27x12, about 0.8 g, cast or struck I'm unable to judge. The "obverse" has the "goddess" and elephants in good relief, and the reverse is a negative of the obverse, though most of the motif is also in relief. I suspect a modern fantasy, though it came to me about two decades ago from a dealer who attributed as ancient.

I too suspect it is a modern fantasy
The style with parted legs is also wrong
Where did you get it ?

Uniface "Plaques" with mirror reverse and made for votive offering in fulfilment of vow
or to request divine help and found at some Hindoo temples or even
catholic churches in South India and Sri Lanka.  I can remember buying one with a standing lady for InRs 10/- at Velankanni in Tamil Nadu although it did not have the bathing elephants.

It is recorded that Fantasy coins for collectors were made even a century ago in Sri Lanka
I have met some who did so in modern Era.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dr Kavan Ratnatunga

I can only answer any question regarding Paper Money, coins and Tokens that circulated in Ceylon/Sri Lanka of any era which extends back to 300 BCE. I maintain website which may help you identify your coin. If Country is any other or unknown, coin should have been found in Sri Lanka. Please Do not ask questions about any coins or currency of other countries including USA. Thank You.

I maintain since 1998 the largest website on Ceylon/Sri Lankan coins and Tokens with over 600 pages.

President Sri Lanka Numismatic Society founded in 1976

Sunday Times NewsPaper of Sri Lanka. See

BSc MS PhD in Physics/Astronomy Diploma in Museology

Contributor on Ceylon/Sri Lanka for Krause Standard Catalogs of World Coins and Paper Money.