Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1938 gold coin

1938 gold coin
1938 gold coin  
QUESTION: i have a 1938 gold coin expropiacion petrolera  coin how much is it worth?

ANSWER: Hello Becky,

Can you send a photo of the reverse?

David Mc

QUESTION: sorry i shouldve sent it at first

Hi Becky,

This is a token or a medallion. There is no monetary value or country of origin on it so we can rule out any coin. This looks like a trade medallion or token. It looks like it may have been used by oil exploration companies doing business in or near Mexico. The reverse looks like it has a gold purity mark but the picture was too blurry for me to make out that symbol.

It is most likely that the gold value would determine the value of this token as it was not nationally minted.

David Mc

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics