Coin and Paper Money Collecting/$50 bill offset

Question
back of $50 bill
back of $50 bill  
I have a 1996 $$50 bill where the back is off set. The bill has been folded at least 4 times and one corner has been crimped.  Is there any value in keeping this or should I just spend it?

Answer
I personally like to hold onto any notes with errors on them, when finances allow.  That said, yours isn't a major error that's going to be worth hundreds or thousands.  I would say to spend it if you need to.  I would also strongly suggest measuring the bill, either with a ruler, or against other bills.  There are many unscrupulous people who intentionally alter bills to create the illusion of an offset error.  If you had a bleed-through or misaligned serial numbers, that would be worth something.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for using allexperts, and please take a moment to rate this response.

Thanks again,

Marc Eichler

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Marc Eichler