Coin and Paper Money Collecting/foreign currency

foreign currency
foreign currency  
Like many other guys who served in WWII my dad collected currency as souvenirs. He was stationed in India, but he passed on to me about 50 pieces of paper money from around the world, North and South American, Africa, Europe, Asia. Some are very worn, but some are in good condition. I'm guessing most are worth very little based on the limited looking around I've done, but I do wonder about the value of a few of them, in particular, especially the ones from Persia. I'm including a photo of a sampling. Thanks.

Hello Terry,

Thanks for your question.

We get a lot like this just about everyday. It was common to collect notes from all the countries visited or stationed in during their time in the service.  Some soldiers taped the notes together and had them signed by friends at each stop. This type of a collection is known as a short snorter and they have some value.

A collection of loose notes like these doesn't have much value - if you listed them on eBay they would go for 25 to 50 cents per note.

In order for the notes to be worth more they would need to be in perfect or at least near perfect condition or have an unusual serial number.

David McConaghy

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics