Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1918/1919 Penny

I have just found a 1918 P penny that has been struck a second time with the year 1919. The second date is at a 45 degree angle to the original date. This is also true of the word liberty as well as the In God We Trust. This is also true for all detail on the back as well. It must have been the start of the 1919 minting year and last years coin was inserted to re-mint or still in the machine. What is it's value as an error coin? You asked for better pictures so here you are.

Thanks for the pics and the follow-up to your original question. The photos are much better. This coin needs to be looked at by an expert, but there are several things you can do to help pinpoint the legitimacy of the piece. Compare the weight, thickness and diameter to a normal circulated cent from the same time period.

There are two things that stand out for me. (1) The "error" appears to be out-of-round. It likely was struck out of the retaining collar for one of the strikes. (2) The stronger of the two dates is the 1918. In normal double strikes, the last strike is the stronger, with the understrike being weaker and in some areas missing in the end strike product. This is the reverse of what I'd normally expect for your coin. The 1918 date should be the under (weaker) strike, and the 1919 date the final strike and the stronger of the two. Your "error" has the reverse. This means a coin with a 1919 date had to be struck first, and then an obverse die (left over from 1918) had to be used to strike your coin.

In my mind, this is close to impossible. I'd lean towards this coin being made outside of the mint for the above reasons. If you live close to a local, major coin show, a NGC ANA or PCGS expert should look at your coin. If the coin is not mint-made, it has no real collector value, in my opinion.

You may want to ask the same question to the Yahoo coin group specializing in errors.

Hope this helps.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern

I can answer most all questions relating to US coins, tokens, and currency. I'm not strong on world coins or ancients. Primary field of expertise is errors and varieties. Over 55 years experience in coin collecting. Part time dealer since 1976. Employed by McDonnell Douglas/Boeing for over 34 years as an Industrial Engineer/Technical Specialist before retiring in 2002.

Worked weekends for "Lonesome" John in the late 1960's to mid 1970's processing error coins, packaging, and preparing orders. Worked with John Devine and Fred Weinberg on several California Error A Rama's in the early 1970's. Served as display judge at annual Error-A-Rama coin shows. Opened and operated mail order coin business DBA "CAL ERRORS" in 1976. Contributor to Alan Herbert's "Official Price Guide To Mint Errors" and Fivaz/Stanton "Cherrypickers' Guide". Worked Saturdays at Huntington Beach Coin Exchange 1980-1999. Had table and sold coins at a number of coin and gun shows in So CA, AZ and NV. Sell coins, tokens and currency on Facebook. Past "Errorscope" Editor. Presently CONECA Examiner.

Errorscope, Numismatic News, Civil War Token Journal, Error and Variety News

AA Degree LBCC pre Engineering, 1964 BS Degree CSULB Ind Technology, 1968

1st Place EAR Trophy for Civil War Token Errors, NLG Author of Year Award for best monthly coin column "Error News and Views" in small Numismatic paper, owned and published by Ray Anthony.