Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1939 Canadian dollar coin

1939 Canadian Dollar
1939 Canadian Dollar  

Obverse of 1939 Canadian dollar coin
Obverse of 1939 Canadi  
I have two very fine 1939 dollar coins. One has three dots after the word dollar. Magnified shows they are not scratches. Both may be double hp but I am not sure because I haven't had them graded. I can't find any information about the three dots. Pictures attached

Hi Kris,

Thanks for your question.

There is no mention of this type of error in any of the price guides or auction listings. From the photo the marks look like they were made by a sharp item that pushed up material as it pierced the surface. You might want to get a high power loupe, at least 20x and see if you can see a tiny hole near the dot.

If you can not see the hole and you are convinced that the dots are extra metal I would suggest sending this coin to NGC for authentication and grading. They will note the variety and you will have a valuable coin. Its hard to say what the value would be but we can assume if it is a one of a kind the value would easily be $1000 or more.

David McConaghy
New England Coin Exchange

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics