Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1995 quarter

I have this quarter (dated year 1995) it looks like it had shifted in the machine to the right hand side some how. You can see where the force of the machine had started down on the coin but then some-way shifted, the letters in the word Liberty (RTY) hit the rim of the coin.
The coins edge is smooth as well, with no ridges.

Hi Linda,
Without a picture, I can only guess as to what the problem was.  When a coin blank (planchet) is in the minting machine, a collar is around the coin which prevents to coin for shifting.  Lack of that collar may be why the letters are shifted.  However, the smooth edge tells me that the reeding process was not completed.  I believe that is the final process after the coin is minted.

Errors such as these occur, and are not extremely rare. I have seen them trade for anywhere from $10 to $25.
If you search eBay for a similar item, you may be able to see what the current pricing is on that coin.  Look for 1995 quarter, plain edge, shift  and you may find something.

Good luck!

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Joe Hylas

Numismatic professional with over 30 years experience can answer your questions about US coins, their values, how best to sell them and where to buy them. Interested in starting a collection? Find out which areas are undervalued and how to acquire those coins at the best price.

Ex-Head Precious Metals trader for Deak-Perera International with 42 offices worldwide. Industry experience since 1978. Has worked co-operatively with US Mint, Royal Canadian Mint, Austrian Mint, Chamber of Mines of South Africa, World Gold Council and Platinum Guild International. Professioanl numismatist specializing in US Coins. Always buying collections, will travel if size of collection warrants. Website: www.AllCoins.US

PCGS, NGC, Rotary

Physician's Money Digest

Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration

Paul Harris Fellow