Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Best NYC Coin Dealer Recommendation

Question
I have been tasked with appraising (and maybe selling) a coin collection.  I live in White Plains, NY and need someone trustworthy to take the collection to.  It is literally thousands of coins.  My dad assembled it.  Original prices paid range from 25 cents to several hundred dollars per coin.  Do you have any specific or general advice?

Answer
Before you do anything you need to sit down and catalog the collection.  I don't know when your dad was paying several hundred dollars for coins, but if it was in the 1970s or earlier, then the coins could be worth significantly more now.  And realistically you can't just walk into a coin shop with 1000s of coins and expect to get a no strings attached offer.  A coin dealer is going to have several if not dozens of hours into pricing a collection of that size.  And a lot of dealers aren't going to do that work for free either.  Expect to pay for an appraisal or enter into some kind of agreement where the shop is compensated for their time.

To directly answer your question though, generally speaking Stacks Bowers is considered to the best coin dealer in New York City.  Stacks has been around since 1933.  If you just wanted to sell an ounce of gold or something then there are probably a lot of decent options in White Plains.  However, when you get into true collector coins you want to make sure you are working with an expert.  

Here is our quick tip list for finding and good coin shop:

1)  Find A Shop That Isn't Pushy.  Whether you buy or sell that day, you should still be treated with respect.

2)  Find A Shop That Is Knowledgeable.  Make sure the dealer you are working with at the shop knows his stuff.  The worst thing you can do is sell a rare coin too cheap because the person on the other end didn't know what they were talking about.

3)  Check reviews and the shop's reputation.  A little bit of homework goes along way.

I would be happy to take a look at any particular coins a few at a time.  But for a large collection like you have you need to work with someone who can physically view the collection.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Manning Garrett