Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1926 coin

I have come across and coin that is wheat penny on the back and a 1926 liberty dime on the front?
Not sure if it is real or fake?

Hi Pam,

It's impossible for a coin that is made of 2 different types of metal (front & back) to have come from the mint like that -- there were never any coin blanks made like that.

So it has to be something that was made after it left the mint.  What you have is known as a magician's coin.  These novelty items were made to fool audiences, and are available in most majic or novelty shops for a couple dollars.

I hope this helps,

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College