Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Coins

Quarter 1999
Quarter 1999  

Quarter 1999
Quarter 1999  

I have two coins that I would like more information on, please.

The first is the 1999 Pennsylvania quarter. When I look at the front of the coin, I see George Washington and then when I turn the coin like turning a page the image on the other side is upside down. Besides that is my coin any type of error coin?

The other is the nickel again when I turn it like a book left to right. The image is upside down.

Can you give me an idea of what the coins might be worth?

Hi Michelle,

It sounds like you have coins there worth 30 cents. Coins can be aligned in two ways. The two ways are "coin alignment" and "medal alignment".

US coins use the coin alignment. This means that you have to flip them bottom to top to see both sides as designed. For medal aligned coins you can flip them like turning a page and both sides will be correctly oriented.

All US coins will have the reverse upside down in you start with the front/obverse oriented correctly and then turn them like a page.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

I can answer most questions about coin identification, grading and counterfeit detection. I can answer questions about US and Foreign coins & currency, ancient coins too.

30 years experience as a collector and dealer in rare coins ANA Numismatic Scholar Owner of New England Coin Exchange I have been buying and selling coins in RI for over 30 years

Professional Coin Grading Service - PCGS National Guaranty Corporation - NGC American Numismatic Association - ANA

Cityscape Merchant Circle Numismatic News eBay Providence Journal Bulletin All Experts

Numismatic Scholar Certificate - American Numismatic Association BSEE - New England Institute of Electronics