Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Coins

Question
Quarter 1999
Quarter 1999  

Quarter 1999
Quarter 1999  
Hello,

I have two coins that I would like more information on, please.

The first is the 1999 Pennsylvania quarter. When I look at the front of the coin, I see George Washington and then when I turn the coin like turning a page the image on the other side is upside down. Besides that is my coin any type of error coin?

The other is the nickel again when I turn it like a book left to right. The image is upside down.

Can you give me an idea of what the coins might be worth?

Answer
Hi Michelle,

It sounds like you have coins there worth 30 cents. Coins can be aligned in two ways. The two ways are "coin alignment" and "medal alignment".

US coins use the coin alignment. This means that you have to flip them bottom to top to see both sides as designed. For medal aligned coins you can flip them like turning a page and both sides will be correctly oriented.

All US coins will have the reverse upside down in you start with the front/obverse oriented correctly and then turn them like a page.  

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy