Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Forgeries in Galle

"1 stuiver" Galle Fort
"1 stuiver" Galle Fort  
Good day Dr Ratnatunga

It seems like I was duped by the same people as in your page (which I found after it was too late).
Only now can I see other letters upside down on the back. Since there's such an old history here one thinks that they might have struck emergency coins in the fort at some point. They're good salesmen, I hope my Rs2000 will put food in a hungry person's stomach..

Maybe the attached photo could help serve as a warning to others.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Kind regards
De Waal Immelman
South Africa

As they say always read about the coins before you buy.

You see these scammers even in this Youtube Video

I met this guy many years after I posted that page with his picture selling Galle Fakes.
He pleaded with me to say he no longer sells fakes :-)
Two weeks later I met a collector from Netherlands who had been taken in by him.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dr Kavan Ratnatunga

I can only answer any question regarding Paper Money, coins and Tokens that circulated in Ceylon/Sri Lanka of any era which extends back to 300 BCE. I maintain website which may help you identify your coin. If Country is any other or unknown, coin should have been found in Sri Lanka. Please Do not ask questions about any coins or currency of other countries including USA. Thank You.

I maintain since 1998 the largest website on Ceylon/Sri Lankan coins and Tokens with over 600 pages.

President Sri Lanka Numismatic Society founded in 1976

Sunday Times NewsPaper of Sri Lanka. See

BSc MS PhD in Physics/Astronomy Diploma in Museology

Contributor on Ceylon/Sri Lanka for Krause Standard Catalogs of World Coins and Paper Money.