Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Please look at this penny

Question
strange penny
strange penny  

strange penny
strange penny  
It's almost twice the thickness but the same diameter as a normal penny but .3 grams heavier aswell.

Looks like the die went kaplooet or something else...

HOW CAN A PENNY LIKE THIS COME ABOUT.....If you look above united states the original penny rim is visible aswell as the thinner damaged add on rimedge...

How do I go about getting this thing looked over for authenticity...?

Answer
Based on pics, it appears to be post-mint damage, done after the coin was struck. Appears bent and damaged. Take to any major coin shop, they should be able to verify. There are 3 dies that work properly to strike a coin. The reverse die is usually stationary, the obverse die is the striking or movable die and the retaining collar keeps the blank in place as it is struck.The variance in weight is not significant.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern