Coin and Paper Money Collecting/What's up with this quarter

Question
Weird Quarter
Weird Quarter  
I wanted to know if you could tell me about this quarter?  I have no idea what happened to it or if it was done after it was minted.  Can you help?  I just started getting into coin collecting and I've never seen anything like this, it is really smooth to the touch.  

Thanks So Much
Cathy

Answer
Cathy:
PMD or Post-Mint Damage. Coin altered after striking and leaving mint. The retaining collar is the 3rd die on reeded coins, putting the edge reeds on the blank as it is squeezed by the obverse and reverse dies. Your piece is likely a bit smaller in diameter than a normal quarter. The unusual obverse markings were created by an individual outside the mint, and as such has no added collector value.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Ronald Fern