Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1995 Proof Set Error

Hello. I am a very small time collector and my entire collection probably values under $1000. I was born in 1995 and today I saw a 1995 silver proof set at a pawn shop. I got it for $25 and that's cool regardless of how much I should have paid. Well, when I got it home I deeply examined it and realized that the quarter inside is a 1996. All of the other pieces are 1995. It is clearly sealed and hasn't been tampered with. Am I striking gold or striking out? Thanks -Will

Be sure, Will, not to break the packaging.  I would believe your set, if legitimate, would sell for a premium.  I couldn't find any examples of such an error or sales, but someone compiled a list of printing and packaging proof set errors, you should check it out, and watch ebay.  Just remember though that just because someone is asking a certain price doesn't mean that's the value.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Jim Lawniczak

I will answer your questions about encased coins (lucky pennies), which are advertising and event tokens with coins, unually cents, struck with the token.

Long time collector of encased coins and author of several articles on encased coins.

TAMS, ECI (Encased Collectors International)

TAMS -- several articles on encased coins, in particular the encased coins of the 1901 Buffalo Pan American Exposition
Casement -- many articles on encased coins