Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1995 Silver Proof Set Error

Question
Hello. I am a very small time collector and my entire collection probably values under $1000. I was born in 1995 and today I saw a 1995 silver proof set at a pawn shop. I got it for $25 and that's cool regardless of how much I should have paid. Well, when I got it home I deeply examined it and realized that the quarter inside is a 1996. All of the other pieces are 1995. It is clearly sealed and hasn't been tampered with. Am I striking gold or striking out? Thanks -Will

Answer
Hi Will,

Since the 1995 proof sets were made well before they started minting the 1996 coins, I find this pretty impossible to happen without some kind of tampering.  If it were a 1996 set with a 1995 quarter in it, that would at least be theoretically possible.

I believe those sets were just sonically sealed, so it is possible to unseal and reseal them, but you'd have to have the proper equipment to do that.

You may try contacting these error dealers to see if they have any other insights :
Fred at Fred@fredweinberg.com
Mike at Mike@MikeByers.com

Good luck!

Dan

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore