Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1995 Silver Proof Set Error

Hello. I am a very small time collector and my entire collection probably values under $1000. I was born in 1995 and today I saw a 1995 silver proof set at a pawn shop. I got it for $25 and that's cool regardless of how much I should have paid. Well, when I got it home I deeply examined it and realized that the quarter inside is a 1996. All of the other pieces are 1995. It is clearly sealed and hasn't been tampered with. Am I striking gold or striking out? Thanks -Will

Hi Will,

Since the 1995 proof sets were made well before they started minting the 1996 coins, I find this pretty impossible to happen without some kind of tampering.  If it were a 1996 set with a 1995 quarter in it, that would at least be theoretically possible.

I believe those sets were just sonically sealed, so it is possible to unseal and reseal them, but you'd have to have the proper equipment to do that.

You may try contacting these error dealers to see if they have any other insights :
Fred at
Mike at

Good luck!

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dan Moore

My strong familiarity with all U.S. Mint coins, extensive reference library, and close relationships with many other dealers allows me to identify just about any coin made in the USA. I receive regular updates to all the current price guides -- both wholesale & retail -- to provide accurate values. So, with a good description or pictures, I should be able to identify and value any U.S. coin you have.

I've been a coin dealer since the 1980's and a coin collector since the 1960's. I specialize in U.S. Silver Coins and have an active online website -- The Working Man's Rare Coins -- -- offering information and inventory in U.S. coins.

Organizations I belong to :
American Numismatic Association Member #187770
Michigan State Numismatic Society Member #8255
Florida United Numismatics Member #19710
Monroe Coin Club Treasurer
Lincoln Coin Club Board Member
WINS Member #14
CoinMasters Member #1814

Frequently Asked Questions :
I have created a Frequently Asked Questions page on my website, where you may be able to get an immediate answer to your question. You can find the page here :

BBA from Adrian College