Coin and Paper Money Collecting/1861 1/2 penny

Question
1
1  

2
2  
Hello Dmitry,
 Some time back I received this coin, amongst others, in an auction lot which I merely glanced at and placed aside given its condition.  The other day I found it and looking it over I noticed the date was 1861, yet in-between the 6 and 1 there appears to be an 8, and after the 1 there is an 8 as well, which is a little smaller and harder to see.  I am pretty positive it is an 1861 Great Britain 1/2 penny, I have used different camera filters with an ultraviolet light to discern the majority of the features. Is this considered the 1861/81 1/2 penny?  Thank you.
         Wm

Answer
The overdate on both the 1/2 penny and penny coins of this year is rather subtle, with traces of an 8 beneath the 6. What you describe on this coin doesn't sound like that. Also, due to the condition I'm afraid it would not be possible to see the overdate if it was one. I believe the extra numerals that you describe are likely a visual artifact of the heavily pock-marked surface.

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Dmitry Livshits