Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Questions Answered by Expert Charles D Daughtrey

SubjectDate Asked
mercury dimes6/29/2009
  Q: I have a bunch of mercury dimes what is the value of these
  A: Well, of course with any collectible it matters when yours were made and what condition they are in. ...
Unfinished dime6/23/2009
  Q: I stumbled onto the site where you were answering questions about coins. One of the questions was ...
  A: Your coin was actually turned on a lathe in a machine shop and ground down to look like it does. ...
double printed quarter6/22/2009
  Q: I have a Quarter that is printed heads on both sides. The year on one side is 1967 and on the other ...
  A: Two-headed or two-tailed coins from the United States are not possible because the obverse (front) ...
1973-1979 US Quarter6/22/2009
  Q: I have a quarter with a 1973 face stamped on one side and a 1979 face stamped on the other side. Is ...
1963 d franklin half6/21/2009
  Q: I have a 1963 d franklin half dollar that has a double d mintmark. It is a large d with a small d ...
  A: Almost all cases of doubled mintmarks on Franklin half dollars comes from the coin getting stuck in ...
Lincoln cents - S mint6/20/2009
  Q: Did San Francisco mint produce Lincoln proof cents for: 1959 thru 1964 with "S" mint strikes, single ...
  A: No. San Francisco stopped producing Lincoln cents for circulation in 1955. Everyone thought this ...
how much is it worth6/19/2009
  Q: how much is a 1940 Quarter worth my dad said 1968 and back in time has sliver in it so how much ...
  A: Your dad was close...the date is 1964. All quarters, dimes, half dollars, and dollar coins minted ...
how much is a 1960 1961 and 1962 nickel with a mint marking D worth6/19/2009
  Q: how much is a 1960 1961 and 1962 nickel with a mint marking D worth PS they were dirty but i used ...
  A: A couple of things... First, any Jefferson Nickel minted after World War II (1946 to now) is worth ...
1962 Lincoln penny6/18/2009
  Q: I have a 1962 Lincoln penny the size of a nickel, it was given to me as change from a purchase. I ...
  A: In that case I would have no idea without personally examining the coin. It's naturally impossible ...
copper nickel6/18/2009
  Q: I was rolling coins today and came across a nickle that is copper on over 3/4 of it....there is just ...
  A: First thing, nickels don't have "filler" inside. They are an alloy, which means the different ...
Rare quarter6/18/2009
  Q: My husband found a 1996 quarter with two heads on it. One older style and the other side has the ...
double headed nickel6/18/2009
  Q: Is it possible to have a authentic from the mint double headed 1961 nickel? Or is it a fake? It is ...
  A: Two-headed or two-taied coins from the United States are not possible because the obverse (front) ...
2004 WISCONSIN QUARTER (P)6/17/2009
  Q: enclosed are images of the quarter that is inset on the front and back of the quarter, the images ...
  A: Believe it or not this is the effect of a coin that got stuck in a commercial clothes dryer. Coins ...
doubled dies vs strike doubling6/17/2009
  Q: I have a 1858 flying eagle cent shoing a doubling of all numbers in the date. It does not appear to ...
  A: Lincoln cents are my specialty. I am considered one of the leaders in research in the field of ...
2009 P Penny Face Error - Scrape???6/17/2009
  Q: Not sure what this is. I have scrapes on the bust and hair area of Abe. The most significant ...
  A: Your coin is the unfortunate victim of being on the end of a roll in a roll-crimping machine. The ...
double stamped penny6/16/2009
  Q: I have a penny dated 1997 that is double stamped on the back (one stamp vertical/one stamp ...
  A: Is there any way you can provide an image of the coin in question? It could be one of two things, ...
is this quarter double stamped on reverse?6/16/2009
  Q: i have a 1994-p quarter that i got back in change. it looks like the reverse is double stamped on ...
  A: I see some weakness in the outer lettering which is the result of grease packed into the cavities of ...
2004 WISCONSIN QUARTER (P)6/16/2009
  Q: I have a 2004 Wisconsin state quarter and the face of it is inset and the back of it is inset and ...
  A: I have read your question a number of times and am frankly stumped as to what you have without an ...
1940's penney with mint error?6/16/2009
  Q: I have a wheat penny which shows the first three digits for the year: 194 but it is missing the ...
  A: A lot of things can cause what you describe. The most common would be wear on the die that minted ...
Value of older quarter6/15/2009
  Q: I came across a 1945 Washington Quarter. It's in reasonably good condition considering it's age. ...
  A: While your coin is in reasonably good shape, it is not in good enough shape to warrant a premium ...
1959 Penny with ridges6/15/2009
  Q: I have a 1959 penny that has ridges around it like a dime. I have taken it to several coin ...
  A: The ridges you refer to are called 'reeds' - they were minted into dimes, quarters, half dollars, ...
bicentennial quarter6/14/2009
  Q: Charles, I have bicentennial quarter that has a copper mark on the drummer boy side of the coin. Is ...
  A: It's too hard to tell without seeing the coin a little closer. It could be paint, stained, or it ...
1956 d6/13/2009
  Q: i have a 1956 whereas the d touches the 5 and one that doesn't any value
  A: The exact position of mintmarks from any one die to the next can vary, as you have observed. The ...
2000-D New Hampshire Quarter6/12/2009
  Q: I have come across a 2000-D New Hampshire state quarter that has been mis-struck. The strike is very ...
  A: It sounds from your description that you have a broadstruck coin. This is a coin that was struck ...
unclad penny6/12/2009
  Q: I have a 2001 D Lincoln penny that I think is an unclad penny. It is totally silver in color and I ...
  A: If you are certain it is unplated then its value would be $20-$30. BUT... If it's shiny silver, ...
copper nickels6/11/2009
  Q: i was wondering what the value would be for two nickels that i have that both seem to be copper but ...
  A: I don't mean to sound gruff here, but I will need far more information before I can be of any help. ...
Double Date Penny6/11/2009
  Q: I received a box of coins from my grand mother and found a unique penny in it. The color looks ...
  A: I suspect the coin you received was counterstamped with the 1974 date. Suffice to say that the mint ...
nickel6/10/2009
  Q: Could you please tell me where the FS mint mark is to be located on the 1990 nickel?
  A: FS on a nickel is the designer's initials, not a mintmark, and is located near the rim on the bottom ...
1991p off-center dime6/9/2009
  Q: I have a 1991P dime that is minted off-center. The circular border rim is thick on the left and ...
  A: What you most likely have is a coin with the obverse (front) die adjusted in the minting press ...
double strike penny6/9/2009
  Q: I was wondering if you could tell me the value the a double struck penny. I have attached a photo of ...
  A: I cannot tell anything from your image, it is too blurry to use in identifying your coin as anything ...
Coin Question6/8/2009
  Q: I am sorry to ask you these questions because I know that they don't fall in your area of expertise. ...
  A: I'm sorry, I know nothing at all about world coins. I don't have books for them, I don't collect ...
coin question6/8/2009
  Q: I'm sorry to ask you this question but apparently Brad Swain was unavailable... My question is about ...
  A: This is from Switzerland...and again, I can only answer this because I've been there. I don't ...
Oddball Error Penny.6/7/2009
  Q: I picked up a lot of coins from a dealer and he likes to throw in odd things that he doesn't know ...
  A: Okay...often a photo is worth a thousand words, especially in numismatics. What you have is a coin ...
1981penny blanks6/5/2009
  Q: i have acquired a ball mason jar with the first copper plated zinc penny blanks,the jar even has ...
  A: I have no idea what you heard about a relationship between Ball and the U.S. Mint, but I cannot find ...
wild rabbit babbys6/4/2009
  Q: if you touch wild babby rabbits will their mom still come back to take care of them?if you handel ...
  A: You have asked your question in the coin collecting section, which is probably why it has gone ...
1944 penny6/3/2009
  Q: i wanted to know how much is an estimate of the price of a ONE CENT original penny from the year ...
  A: Unless there is something unusually strange about the coin, if it is brown in color and does not ...
Rare Penny6/2/2009
  Q: I have a penny that feels very light in weight. It has the head of Lincoln on one side and above the ...
  A: I doubt it, but I would have to see an image of the coin to tell you for sure what you do have. If ...
double headed nickle5/11/2009
  Q: I have a double headed nickle, one side is 1994 and other side 1996. How much is this worth? Thank ...
2009 Lincoln Cent Error5/9/2009
  Q: I just purchased a 2009 P Lincoln penny bank roll (N.F. String & Son) and found a few with the VDB ...
  A: Missing initials or partially missing initials on the bust of Lincoln on a cent means one of two ...
value of .50$ Half dollar5/8/2009
  Q: What is the value of the 1814 silver half dollar?
  A: If you are referring to a U.S. coin, the 1814 half dollar comes in many different varieties ranging ...
spotting on proof set coins5/7/2009
  Q: I have some mint proof sets that are beginning to get spots on the coins especially the pennies.It ...
  A: First thing, because there are scratches on the inside of the cases doesn't mean they have been ...
1928 s lincoln5/6/2009
  Q: can you describe the differences between the large and small mintmarks, including price for fine ...
  A: Please send an email directly to me for images - I cannot attach images in this format, and that ...
1958-d mirror?5/6/2009
  Q: I just opened a roll of uncirculated 1958-D wheats and noticed that almost all of them have a ...
  A: I am familiar with what you describe. It is caused by wear on the dies caused by constant use. I ...
nickel5/5/2009
  Q: My mother is a big coin collector and recently ran across a double headed nickel. The unique thing ...
hollow nickel5/5/2009
  Q: My name is Marietta. I work as a cashier one day a week. I always look thru the money for anything ...
  A: Your nickel is a part of a magic trick. Usually one coin is hollowed so a smaller denomination (in ...
Mis metal coin5/4/2009
  Q: I have come across a nickel is stamped out of copper. Is there any value to this and if so, what ...
  A: Taking a number of zeros off your figure, these sometimes do fetch as much as $25-$30, but that ...
a dimes worth5/4/2009
  Q: i have a regular 1993-p dime. whats different is that its pressed a little harder then a normal ...
  A: This is a question that would be best answered with an image of the coin in question. There are so ...
2000 cent without copper clad5/4/2009
  Q: I have a very fine condition 2000 cent that apparently has no copper. It does not appear that it ...
  A: A few things... 1. Cents are not 'clad' - they are plated. Clad is the process of bonding ...
1961 copper nickle with error5/4/2009
  Q: I have a 1961 copper nickle. No not just "copper" by name because of the mix of materials. The coin ...
  A: Occasionally a truly 'copper' nickel does show up, usually worth $15-$25. Mot of the time, however, ...
Washington quarter misprint5/3/2009
  Q: I have a Washington quarter, don't have itwith me right now so I'm going to try to remember the ...
  A: When coins are in fires the tiny chambers of gas that are trapped into the coin during minting tend ...
state quarter with error4/30/2009
  Q: I recently found a Virginia State quarter that clearly reads '000' as the year. If you hold the coin ...
  A: From your description it soulds like you have a case of what is known as a 'grease filled die'. The ...
1990 double printed dime4/29/2009
  Q: I sent this question a week ago and did not receive any answer. I have a 1990 dime with lincoln's ...
  A: It was possibly because a photograph of the coin would be necessary to assess what you have and tell ...
miss struck coins4/28/2009
  Q: I have two miss struck coins. First I have a 1967 penny struck in the size of a dime and is also ...
  A: Your first coin may be of interest as a possible valuable error coin, but I would have to see good ...
1968 Roosevelt Dime Markings4/28/2009
  Q: This dime was in our "piggy bank" waiting to be cashed in with all our other loose change. It looks ...
  A: Sad to say that your dime suffers from damage caused by the machines that roll coins into what we ...
A US Lincoln Penny4/25/2009
  Q: I just received a 1984 Lincoln penny in some change from a drive though. All but one were the same. ...
  A: What you have is called a 'counterstamp'. The particular counterstamp you have is a running set of ...
coins4/23/2009
  Q: i have an assortment of coins that are (repvbliqve francaise) in denomanations of 5, 10 20 50 and ...
  A: These are 'Republique Francaise', or the Republic of France - the v's are 'artistic license', ...
Unusual Quarter4/22/2009
  Q: I have come across a "two head" quarter dated 1965 on one side and 1991 on the other. It appears to ...
Dime error Blank side4/22/2009
  Q: I recently came across a dime with a blank side. The other side that is printed features the torch, ...
  A: Marie, Even with the best text description it is often impossible to really tell what you have ...
1925 silver peace dollar4/21/2009
  Q: I have a 1925 silver dollar and can not find a value for it anywhere on the computer. Was wondering ...
  A: Value of coins depends solely on their condition, where they were made, and when they were made. I ...
1975 Quarter4/21/2009
  Q: I have a 1975 quarter my cousin told me it was worth about $10,000 is that true
  A: In a word, no. If you have a 1975 quarter, it's fake. There are no 1975 dated quarters. In 1975, ...
1995 Lincoln Cent4/20/2009
  Q: I'm a new collector and I've stumbled onto a Lincoln I cant find much info on. A 1995 with the ...
  A: Letters missing from coins is usually caused by grease and other grime impacting the recesses in the ...
silver dollar4/20/2009
  Q: I have an 1882 liberty silver dollar and wondered what it is worth. Thanks.
  A: There are a number of different factors tht could make a difference in how much your coin is ...
bowl quarter4/19/2009
  Q: I have a 1994 P quarter that looks like any old quarter but it is in the shape of a bowl. There are ...
  A: Any number of things could be used to keep from making marks on the coin while reshaping it...bottom ...
Nickel-Sized Quarter?4/19/2009
  Q: I have a coin that is the size of a Jefferson nickel, yet has the obverse and reverse of a ...
  A: I honestly do not know quarter or nickel errors well, so I will send you to an expert in that area. ...
Penny4/17/2009
  Q: how much is it worth?
  A: I am assuming that the 'ONE CENT' is on the back, and the front says 1951. It's a wheat cent, ...
1909 Indian Cent4/17/2009
  Q: Charles, I deeply apologize for the statement i made. I meant you no insult. I should have chosen my ...
  A: I certainly wish you well. If you have anything, either one of these guys can help you. They know ...
Brass planchet?4/16/2009
  Q: I came across this penny yesterday and wondered if it is a planchet error coin. The color was ...
  A: Actually my experience is that the 'beveled rim' you show is more common than the other. Most ...
1909 Indian4/16/2009
  Q: Can you at least guide me in the right direction. You are the second so called expert that can't ...
  A: You make an insulting statement by calling me a 'so called' expert, then ask for information? I am ...
1977 unreeded quarter4/16/2009
  Q: i got some change at the store today and notice one of my quarters didnt have any lil ridges on the ...
  A: After years of use in vending and slot machines, quarters tend to have edges that are beaten down so ...
1943 mint error4/15/2009
  Q: I found a 1943 steel cent with no 4 in the date. 19 3 are very visible. The 4 has a very faint ...
  A: This actually is not an error. It is a very common and unfortunate part of striking steel coins ...
authenticity of lincoln cent4/15/2009
  Q: I have a 1975 Lincoln cent struck from brass. I would like to know if samples were ever struck from ...
  A: You would need to weigh the piece and see if it weighs differently from any other 1975 cent. Normal ...
1951 wheat penny4/15/2009
  Q: I was going through some of my wheat pennies the other day and when i dropped one it sounded like a ...
  A: I would have to be able to see something like this to really help much. It sounds like you have one ...
2007 quarter4/14/2009
  Q: I have a 2007 quarter (one of the state quarters). On the front the only word stamped correctly is ...
  A: It sounds a lot to me like you have an example of a 'grease filled die strike'. These are caused ...
what error is this?4/14/2009
  Q: This 1999 Lincoln cent has these raised diagonal lines that appear on the reverse below the memorial ...
  A: It looks to me like gouges on the die that were caused during the die making process. While this is ...
1943 steel clad cu/zink Lincoln cent4/13/2009
  Q: I have what is clearly a 1943 steel clad Cu or Zinc (or Cu/Zinc alloy) Lincoln cent. I can provide a ...
  A: The best thing to do with a coin you think is made of a different metal than it should have been ...
1940 D Penny Misprint4/13/2009
  Q: I have a 1940 D penny that has an extra arc in the middle of the zero. Is this penny worthy ...
  A: There is a very high likelihood that your coin is damaged, either during the strike or after the ...
Value of 1980 D Lincoln Penny4/13/2009
  Q: we have a 1980 D Lincoln penny that has no copper coloring to it at all. Coloring wise, it looks ...
  A: Well, there are two different things your coin could be, one of them worthless and the other about a ...
1995 Copper Quarter4/12/2009
  Q: I found a 1995 quarter that appears to be all copper... no clad layer on either side. Is this worth ...
  A: . It's worth something if it is indeed a quarter struck without layers, but that would need to be ...
1898 coin4/11/2009
  Q: i have a 1898 coin, it has a man on a horse at the front and at the back there is a lady and says, ...
  A: Well, I don't collect or study foreign coins, nor do I deal much with gold at all, but from your ...
Penny with Lincoln's head on both sides4/10/2009
  Q: I was looking at some pennies I had saved and discovered there is one 1972 that has Lincoln's head ...
1860 Indian head penny4/10/2009
  Q: I have an 1860 Indian head penny That looks twice the thickness of a normal Indian head penny. Is ...
  A: All Flying Eagle cents and all indian head cents from 1859 through 1863, then some from 1864 are ...
US 50cent coin4/8/2009
  Q: Charles, I have been to the States many times, both work related trips and holidays. I recently ...
  A: 50 cent coins, called 'half dollars' here, have not been in general circulation since the 1950s, ...
coin4/8/2009
  Q: What is a 1971 U S penny that has the word liberty mispelled value?
  A: I would need a lot more information before I could educatedly answer your question. please resubmit ...
Bicentennial Quaters4/6/2009
  Q: Out of 8 Bicentennial Quarters I have 2 that do not have any evidence of having a mint. I was just ...
  A: Yes, in 1976 having no mintmark simply meant the coin was minted in Philadelphia. The 'P' mintmark ...
1987 Lincoln Penny Mis-strike4/5/2009
  Q: I have a 1987 Lincoln penny that is a mis-strike (both sides). The image is shifted up and right, ...
  A: It sounds to me like you have an off-center struck coin. From the description, about 30% off ...
error 2005 bison nickel4/5/2009
  Q: I have found a 2005 D Bison Nickel that has an error. Where the mint mark is, there is a "D" punched ...
  A: Sounds like it may be a case of 'struck through dropped filling'. This happens when the mintmark, ...
Pennies,Pennys,Cents4/3/2009
  Q: Just wondering here in Oregon i search about $50.00 worth of pennies a week for wheats and doubles. ...
  A: It's about the same here. The number has declined significntly since the price of copper went up so ...
1967 dime error?4/2/2009
  Q: I found this dime in some pocket change recently. I have asked a several people about it and all ...
  A: It's just glue. Nothing else. Find some acetone, stick a q-tip in it, and rub it around on the ...
penny with no date4/2/2009
  Q: was going through my change when I came across a penny with a slight bulge on it I got to looking ...
  A: This is what's known as a "CUD". It happened when a piece of the die that minted the front of the ...
miss print Roosevelt dime4/2/2009
  Q: How much is a Roosevelt dime with date 200? It looks like a real miss print not just scratched off.
  A: Your coin is very likely the effect of grease and grime on the die that minted the coin clogging the ...
2004 dime error4/2/2009
  Q: I have a dime that the edges are raised (all the way around). It also has aP mint and you cannt ...
  A: I am really not sure how to answer this question because the description given does not provide me ...
Copper Cent corroded4/1/2009
  Q: Will a corroded copper coin mixed with other copper coins affect the other non-corroded coin.
  A: If the corrosion is active - yes. If the condition that corroded the coin is still there - yes. If ...
Dark colored 2000 P New Hampshire Quarter3/31/2009
  Q: I have a 2000 P New Hampshire Quarter that has a very dark reddish-grey tone. The toning isn't ...
  A: It is most likely that your coin has been exposed to something that changed its color, because the ...
1885 "V" Nickel or a Drink Coaster3/31/2009
  Q: I have an extremely large coin "replica" (76.2mm) of an 1885 liberty head "V" nickel which recently ...
  A: Some of the replicas are actually pretty good ones, actually. I have actually seen them dated 1883, ...
coin grading3/29/2009
  Q: What is the meaning of "MS 67" in grading wheat pennies?
  A: MS67 is a grade used in a scale of 1-70 developed back in the 1940s by a man named Sheldon. A grade ...
many coins same year3/27/2009
  Q: I received a gallon jar of coins from great uncle's estate ranging from silver dollars to pennies. ...
  A: A vast majority of what you have mentioned in your question are coins that have very little ...
1939 lincoln penny Double Die on the left wheat???3/25/2009
  Q: Is this a double die error cent? And is there any other 39' double die error penny?
  A: I'm sorry, I do not see anything outside the norm on the coin you photographed. I doubt it is a ...
1969s cent3/24/2009
  Q: what varieties are there of the 1969s double die cent,i heard there were 2 ,are there pictures of ...
  A: The first one, which I do not have photographs of currently, is very strong and very obvious - much ...
san francisco muni railway token3/17/2009
  Q: Daughtrey, I am hoping you can help me and if possibly not, point me in the right direction. I have ...
  A: I'm sorry, I have no idea where to begin other than a trip to the library to look up Russell Rulau ...
1943 steel penny3/16/2009
  Q: I just found a 1943 steel penny, poorly struck on the obverse and no strike on the reverse. I'm ...
  A: This one is somewhat curious, but without images I cannot even hazard a guess as to what it is or ...
1969S Double Die Cent Image3/16/2009
  Q: I don't think the image for the question I asked you went through on the submission I just made to ...
  A: If the date and mintmark are both doubled, it's not a doubled die. Dies were created without ...
2 headed 1997 quarter3/16/2009
  Q: I recently received a roll of quarters from the bank. I found a "1997 Washington Denver mint ...
  A: Regardless of the dates on the two sides, two-headed coins from the United States are not possible ...
1943 lincoln cents3/13/2009
  Q: I have 2 rolls of 1943 Lincoln cents. They all are shiny silver looking. Some have what looks like ...
  A: I would have to see some examples of the coins in question before I could educatedly speak of them ...
1981 penny pinstripes3/13/2009
  Q: I have a 1981 penny with definite pinstrips on the obverse side only. I also have 2 1980D pennies ...
  A: These coins are the result of a slight impurity in the metal used to make the blanks for cent ...
jefferson nickel3/12/2009
  Q: I recently came upon a 1947 Jefferson nickel that was struck "heads" on both sides. It is in shape. ...
Lincoln pennies3/12/2009
  Q: Were all lincoln pennies minted in all three mints (Phila, Denver, San Fran) from 1909 thru 2008? If ...
  A: The answer to your first question is no...they were not minted in all three mints for all years. In ...
1970 s penny - mint error ?3/11/2009
  Q: This coin is the size of a dime and has raised edges. It is labeled a mint error. Do you know if ...
  A: Your coin left the mint as a normal coin, then was 'spooned' after it left the mint. Spooning is ...
penny collecting acronyms3/9/2009
  Q: what is meant by the letters VDB in reference to penny discription? Thanks, Linda Miller
  A: VDB stands for Victor David Brenner, the designer of the Lincoln cent. When it's used in reference ...
coins that are only half3/7/2009
  Q: My daughter has a penny and a nickle that look like they are missing half of each coin. The nickle ...
  A: The answer to this question lies greatly in the appearance of the 'blank' side. If that side is ...
1984 Jefferson Nickel3/6/2009
  Q: I know that all 1984 Jefferson Nickels are supposed to have a mint mark. However, I have discovered ...
  A: One of two things happened here, and I would have to see the coin under a microscope to tell you ...
double sided nickel and stamped penny3/6/2009
  Q: My mom has a double headed nickel...dated 1963 on one side and 1964 on the other. I have told her ...
  A: That the coin has two different dates proves it's not 'real', even if the fact that it's impossible ...
American Dollar coin ON missing3/5/2009
  Q: I have an American gold one dollar coin 1921 with the letters ON missing from the word ONE. Can you ...
  A: If the coin is silver dollar size and colored gold, then it's a silver dollar that has been plated ...
1897 Misstruck Indian Head3/3/2009
  Q: I have a misstruck 1897 Indian Head. Looks to be about 3/32nds off center, with half the "9" and ...
  A: This will highly depend on what's missing from the other side, if anything. It will also highly ...
missed minted penny w/date (picture)3/2/2009
  Q: My son jacob 9 found this penny. He would like to know the value of this 2000 missed minted penny ...
  A: You can tell Jacob he has made a rather nice find. Although these do slip through the Mint once in ...
Double headed 1964 nickle2/24/2009
  Q: I recently found a double heded 1964 Jefferson nickle. I compared it to a regular 1964 nickle and it ...
wheat pennies2/24/2009
  Q: can you tell me where I can sell my collection of wheat pennies. Approx 30,000 coins, 1909 -... many ...
  A: Generally a local dealer will give you a decent deal. They will give you 60-70% of dealer bid for ...
2 Cent Piece, 18672/18/2009
  Q: I have an 1867 US 2 cent piece. I understand the 1864 is known for having errors, but has there ...
  A: The word 'CENTS' is suppoed to be written on a curve. I don't see anything outside the norm on your ...
toning on penny2/17/2009
  Q: I bought a 1909 penny in full red Gem BU condition and have placed in a Dansco Album. I just ...
  A: Dansco albums are well known for leaching chemicals onto the coins which will tone them, sometimes ...
america one cent miss print2/17/2009
  Q: my name is Tess and I have a question. I have a coin were the die struck only about one eight of a ...
  A: Value? Yes. First, a little change of terminology and education. "Printing" specifies the use of ...
TWO FACED QUATER2/16/2009
  Q: I HAVE AQUATER THAT HAS 2 FACES, YEARS 1978 AND 1979. DO YOU THINK YOU CAN TELL ME IF THE COIN HAS ...
1952 D Silver Wheat Penny2/16/2009
  Q: This coin is the size of a dime and has been tested as silver. Any input?
  A: The one important thing is to get the weight of the coin in grams. If it weighs around or just ...
Possible Mis-Struck Mass. Quarter2/15/2009
  Q: Recently I received a quarter as change from a coke machine. It is obviously a Mass. state quarter ...
  A: Your coin was struck through grease in the press. The dies should periodically be cleaned off to ...
1946 quarter - blank side2/15/2009
  Q: I have discovered in my grandmother's cache of old coins a Washington quarter from 1946 with the ...
  A: From your description I would venture to say you have a coin that has been tampered with (damaged) ...
de-laminated coin2/13/2009
  Q: I have a1946 Jefferson nickle that has Split in half . I have only the obverse side . It was not ...
  A: You have described what you have well enough for me to tell you that you have something that occurs ...
1800? nickel2/11/2009
  Q: I'm looking for any info on a 1803 Indian Head Nickel not sure on he date it's 18 something 3. On ...
  A: See if you can get a good picture of it for me. The US Mint didn't produce nickels until 1866, and ...
2001 vermont quarter2/10/2009
  Q: I recently discovered a 2001 Vermont quarter in some change. It stood out because of the brightness ...
  A: Ther eis some chance that it could be an error coin, but I would not be able to tell what it is. ...
Lincoln cent - 1990 - no S2/9/2009
  Q: I've been throwing pennies into jars for about 40 years, and recently decided to do a little ...
  A: A 1990 penny with no mintmark simply means it was made in Philadelphia. Thatís all, nothing ...
Slanted 1 in 19482/7/2009
  Q: i've been collecting coins from long time but just started to collect US coins. So as a common coin ...
  A: All cases of 'slanted' 1 cents I have ever observed (hundreds of them) are damaged in one way or ...
off center $102/3/2009
  Q: I found a $10 bill that isn't centered on the paper instead of there being a margin at the tops and ...
  A: If your note is off center enough to affect the design and it's in crisp uncirculated condition ...
pennies2/2/2009
  Q: i came across about 200 one cents all marked dated,valued except coin like lincoln heads that have ...
  A: Some of your coins may have decent value, but for the better part it sounds more like a collection ...
Unfinished Planchet2/2/2009
  Q: I have an Uncirculated 1978 Washington Quarter that has a "copper head." It was given to me in ...
  A: Well, it certainly looks real, but the ultimate test would be to weigh it. Quarters are made with a ...
1973D Lincoln Penny2/1/2009
  Q: I just found a 1973D Lincoln Penny with a high mintmark, almost tucked into the date. I haven't seen ...
  A: Because mintmarks were placed into each individual die by hand until 1990, there are a number of ...
Lincoln cent 19751/12/2009
  Q: I hope you can help me on identify a rare one Lincoln cent I found in my collection. The rarity of ...
lamination error, 2006 Roosevelt dime1/11/2009
  Q: i have a 2006 Roosevelt dime minted in Denver that is missing the casing on the tails side. i was ...
  A: The proper terminology for how dimes and quarters are made is called 'clad'. There are three layers ...
dime looks like a penny edgind1/8/2009
  Q: I have a 2000D dime with the copper edging like a penny, instead of the ridged normal edging on the ...
  A: Dimes are made primarily of copper. They have a pure copper core sandwiched between layers of ...
wrong planchet error?1/7/2009
  Q: i have 1987 penny that is steel colored. it seems to be thinner than normal it has a raised lip, ...
  A: Nobody can honestly help with this coin without examining it in person, weighing it, and looking at ...
error coins1/7/2009
  Q: I have a nickle that has random letters struck over the face on the front and on the back over the ...
  A: Without seeing the coin it is virtually impossible to tell for sure what you have, but from the ...
1989p Wash. Quarter1/2/2009
  Q: The metals of this quarter are "mixed". The copper & silver colors look swirled, as if still liquid ...
  A: Your coin is almost a sure bet of some sort of environmental damage that caused the coin to appear ...
Copper Nickel1/1/2009
  Q: I have a 2007 Nickel that is all copper. It has no silver anywhere on it. It is not tainted or ...
  A: There is some chance your coin could have been struck on stock intended for cents, but it's very ...
FLAWED 1976 BICENTENNIAL QUARTER1/1/2009
  Q: I have a 1976 Bicentennial Quarter with a round raise in the torch of the Statue of Liberty, like it ...
  A: it's been hit or punched with something. If the area is raised, the coin has been in a fire and a ...
misstruck coin12/31/2008
  Q: I have an OK state quarter with a paritial strike of a penny over the right lower quadrant of the ...
  A: It is very likely that your coin is a 'false clash'. If the penny design is backwards and incuse ...
penny12/31/2008
  Q: I have a 1958-D wheat penny, which looks to me that is double stamped. I notice that the date and ...
  A: I doubt your coin is anything other than typical machine doubling, which is very common on many ...
unusual multiple stamping12/30/2008
  Q: I have a penny that I found years ago and held on to because it was just so weird. It is a 1994 and ...
  A: It allows me to instantly identify what's going on so I can give you a complete answer the first ...
possible 1929 mercury dime error coin12/30/2008
  Q: I found a dime assuming from the band design on the reverse side it is a mercury dime, with the ...
  A: Kagin's in Tiburon. It might be a stretch for you, but it's just north of the Golden Gate bridge by ...
Lincoln penny12/29/2008
  Q: I have come across a Lincoln penny, 1974 D. It has a small bust of JFK facing Lincoln. Can you tell ...
  A: The portrait looking at Lincoln is indeed supposed to be that of John F. Kennedy. The coins were ...
1969 D Lincoln cent- no reverse12/28/2008
  Q: The wieght is 2.8g and I am wondering what the value might be. We have no coin "shops" in the area. ...
  A: The normal weight for a 1969 cent is 3.11 grams. If the coin had been minted without a reverse, it ...
1923 penny12/27/2008
  Q: We have a 1923 penny and on the back of the penny, the letters ER are missing from the word AMERICA. ...
  A: This is actually a pretty common occurrence on Lincoln cents from the 1920s. A number of the ...
Coins12/27/2008
  Q: I have a 1922 no d, die #2, CLEANED, graded VF20 by ANACS. I would like to know an approximate ...
  A: ANACS would never give a value for a coin they holder - that's not the business they are in. They ...
1897 cent12/27/2008
  Q: We found a copper looking coin. It is very worn and parts are beginning to patina. We can read ...
  A: If you can scan images of both sides of this coin and send me a question with the scans attached, I ...
2000 steel colored penny12/26/2008
  Q: I have come a cross a seel colored 2000 lincoln penny the outer copper is not worn off it looks like ...
  A: A number of things, including some things that were deliberate, can take the copper coating off a ...
wheat penny 1957(37)??12/26/2008
  Q: coin collecting is one of my hobby and these days i spend most of my time researching about my ...
  A: This isn't actually an error of any kind. It is a 1957 cent on which there was a small chip in the ...
1889 Morgan Siler Dollar w/A punched near head12/23/2008
  Q: I have a 1889 silver dollar that has an A right at the forhead of lady liberty. Is this a mispunch ...
  A: Of course in order to ascertain what you have and assign any sortof value to it I would have to see ...
canadian coins12/22/2008
  Q: Am interested in collecting some Canadian coins in particular nickels from 1922 up. Would you have ...
  A: No, sorry. I have never dealt in Canadian coins. My best suggestion would be to do a search on the ...
1970d kennedy half dollar ddr12/21/2008
  Q: I have a 1970d kennedy half dollar ddr, is this coin worth anything?
  A: No offense, but I would need to see at least photographs of the coin to be certain it's a doubled ...
1937 wheat penny12/19/2008
  Q: I have come across a 1937 wheat penny. There is no mint mark on this coin. Is this common or could ...
  A: One cent coins minted in Philadelphia have never had mintmarks. They are the only remaining coin ...
Coin value12/18/2008
  Q: Have a 2005 US nickel (View of the ocean) which has been printed upside down...i.e. upside on one ...
  A: All coins in the US are minted with the two sides aligned so that you flip the coin from top to ...
1987 quarter12/18/2008
  Q: Daughtrey, I have a 1987 quarter minted in Denver. On the eagle side it has a full band of stars ...
  A: With regard to the reverse (eagle side) of this coin, I cannot make any educated comments without ...
Mis Dated Dime12/18/2008
  Q: Mr Daughtrey, I have a friend, which does not have access to the internet so I am writing you on her ...
  A: I don't even know how to start with this one without sounding rash. A coin minted in the United ...
2001 vermont quarter12/17/2008
  Q: siver on face copper on back is this afault of the mint and is worth aanything
  A: Impossible to tell without actually seeing the coin, but I can tell you that most of the time when ...
US one cent year 1962 mint error12/17/2008
  Q: Can you give approx value of US one cent year 1962 with reverse image of Abraham Lincoln memorial ...
Half dollar12/14/2008
  Q: I just recently got into this coin collecting thing so I decided to look through all the old coins I ...
  A: A large number of bicentennial half dollars were mutilated in one way or another for special ...
1943 steel penny12/12/2008
  Q: I recently came across a 1943 steel penny that appears to be well struck however the 4 is obscure, ...
  A: This is a very common effect on 1943 cents that is a result of die wear. The steel-on-steel ...
1935 penny no mint mark12/12/2008
  Q: I found this penny in my mothers effects. It looks like bits of copper were on the die when it was ...
  A: What you have stuck on your coin is either glue, candy, or some other plastic-like substance. It's ...
european coins12/11/2008
  Q: I have 2 5 Reichsmark 1935 coins minted in Stuttgart and I heard that this year and mint were ...
  A: If it's the Hindenburg issue it's common. They are worth silver melt value up to XF, then increase ...
Worth of pennies12/11/2008
  Q: I have a few pennies with dates ranging from 1818 to 1833. Can you give me data on these pennies ...
  A: Your question could probably best be answered with a Red Book, available in any book store. ...
Colored Quarter Misprint12/11/2008
  Q: Today I received quite an interesting looking quarter in my change. It is a Georgia statehood ...
  A: . The first thing to note is that the Mint, a U.S. Government office, never places 'color' onto ...
Record for Bicentennial Quarters12/10/2008
  Q: I've been collecting bicentennial quarters for as long as I can remember and have been able to ...
  A: This question went into the question pool for all experts because the original expert either let ...
Indian head penny die cast error12/9/2008
  Q: I would like to mark these Indian head pennies with current market value for my grandkids. The ...
  A: Took me a little while to figure out what you were talking about there. 'die cast error' means ...
Value of double back nickel12/8/2008
  Q: I have a nickel which has a double sided back. There is no front on the nickel. Because there is ...
  A: There are no 'genuine mint struck' double sided coins. All of them are manufactured in machine ...
Mini Bicenreenial Quarter12/7/2008
  Q: I found a Mini Bicentennial Quarter. It just a little smaller than a dime.It has everything on it ...
  A: Although I have never seen an example of what you are referring to, I can tell you that the word ...
how to start coin collecting12/6/2008
  Q: I have a habit of not being able to pass a penny that is laying on the ground. i never thought of ...
  A: Wise? Of course. Checking change can bring some valuable coins your way, but they are increasingly ...
lincoln cents12/5/2008
  Q: would you know what this would go for approxamately, and others alike, but not as old?
  A: 1909 cents generally bring from $3-$10 each in circulated condition - undamaged. Yours appears to ...
Thin Planchet Pennies12/3/2008
  Q: I have three or four pennies with thin planchets. Are these a recognized error variety? How could ...
  A: Most 'thin planchet' cents are victims of acid baths. They are dipped in acid until they are ...
double headed quarter12/2/2008
  Q: I went into a store and asked for change for a dollar. They gave me three quarters and a double ...
  A: All double-headed U.S. coins are manufactured at private companies from two coins. The coins are ...
Double-Died 1962 with date variation12/2/2008
  Q: It appears to be double died and the 2 in the date (1962 D) is crooked, its turned about 20 degrees ...
  A: What you have is probably not a doubled die. It's more likely machine doubling, which happens ...
misprinted dime- missing a stamp12/1/2008
  Q: i got a dime with no stamp on the front/ face side, now im wondering is it worth less now because ...
  A: If you could provide images of your dime I would be much better at helping you out. These things ...
Quarter with penny also on it12/1/2008
  Q: My husband and I own a laundromat and we found a Vermont state quarter with the back of a penny ...
  A: Your quarter is the result of someone stacking coins together and hitting them with a hammer or ...
US 10$ Note error11/30/2008
  Q: Charles, I recently was given a United States 10$ note at the bank. (Series 2006 IB58290662A). ...
  A: I would assume it is also missing the serial number? If so, you have an error that could go for as ...
1959 cent11/29/2008
  Q: I'm new to this site. Going thru my "stuff" tonite, I found a penny I had saved for years. It's a ...
  A: I cannot tell without seeing the coin. One thing you can do to give you an idea is to weigh it. A ...
Front of Penny Missing11/27/2008
  Q: We have a penny that is missing its front. There are raised edges, but no front. It's a fairly new ...
  A: I would have to see at least images of the coin to tell you for sure what happened to it. There are ...
misprint11/26/2008
  Q: i found a 2003 quarter with half of its markings missing on the back i was wondering if it is worth ...
  A: It's impossible to tell what it is without a better description - there are a number of different ...
Lincoln Penny Error11/24/2008
  Q: I found a 1941 S Lincoln wheat penny that is missing the word "trust." I have examined the penny ...
  A: These are not considered errors. They are a somewhat normal part of the minting process and happen ...
Double Headed 1995 Quarter No Seam11/24/2008
  Q: I would love to find out what differentiates the random/rare double strike on this particular item ...
  A: Two-headed coins are gag creations in machine shops - none of them were made at the mint that way. ...
misprinted dime?11/24/2008
  Q: I found a dime with the backside (torch & flowers ?) on both sides, no head. Is this a fake or is it ...
  A: Two-headed (or two-tailed) coins are gag creations made in machine shops - none of them were made at ...
Two-headed quarter11/24/2008
  Q: I recently found a 1981 US quarter with a Philadelphia mint stamp on it that has the bust of ...
lincoln penny question11/24/2008
  Q: Has there ever been a lincoln penny with an outlined imprint of lincolns head over the date.my ...
  A: What you describe is not something that the mint made that way - it is probably a counterstamp. ...
marking under liberty head dim11/23/2008
  Q: i have a 1944 liberty dime and under the head on the right side are the letters looks like wa, w on ...
  A: ..The marking you are seeing is the designer's initials, AW (for Adolph Weinman). All Liberty head ...
1999 Penny11/22/2008
  Q: I have a 1999 lincoln penny that is perfectly fine on front but the back has the back of an actual ...
  A: I hate to say it, but I would have to see an image of such a coin before rendering any kind of ...
Quarter not uniform in size11/21/2008
  Q: I have a 1988 Quarter which is not uniform in size. I actually got caught in a coin operated washer ...
  A: This is one that would definitely require images to tell much of anything. There are errors that ...
re: cuds & die clash marks (with image)11/21/2008
  Q: I have a 1989 Lincoln cent with a cud (see photo). Are these worth anything? Should I have it graded ...
  A: Only if the coins have not been washed or cleaned in any way. CUDs are typically worth $5-$25 each. ...
60d lincoln cent11/18/2008
  Q: I have A 60D penny that is dime sized but much thinner than a dime. copper colored,fully ledgible ...
  A: Most of the time when I see coins that have been described as you describe yours, they are the ...
1950 dollar bill11/17/2008
  Q: My mother found a couple of 20 and 10 dollar bills. One of the $20 bills says series 1950 A and ...
  A: Only if these notes are still like new - crispy and hardly ever been folded. Also not stained. ...
Nickel Error11/16/2008
  Q: I recently found a nickel made entirely out of copper, I believe(Samemetal as a penny). It is a ...
  A: First, don't clean it. You can ONLY ruin it that way. Second, you should have it weighed. If it ...
1977D Lincoln Penny11/16/2008
  Q: I was rolling up some change when I came across a 1977D lincoln penny that has an apparent 2nd beard ...
  A: It could be an error, but without being able to see the coin I cannot tell much of anything. There ...
1968D Roosevelt dime11/15/2008
  Q: My dime has what appears to be a bubble, about the size of Roosevelt's nose and located above the ...
  A: No. It's a coin that has been in extrame heat - like a house fire. The copper core has a lower ...
coin misprints11/13/2008
  Q: Is there or has there ever been a U.S coin misprinted with copper one cent on side and silver dime ...
  A: No, not to my knowledge. It sounds like one of the many magician's coins I run across each year. ...
coin11/12/2008
  Q: i have a coin of victoria empress 1939 made of silver ,,,,,, what can be the value of it??? can u ...
  A: I would need more information to be able to help - such as a photo of the coin. That would be best. ...
1985 d dime11/12/2008
  Q: my husband received a dime for change and looks copper like a penny. But it's clearly a Roosevelt ...
  A: There are cases where 'clad' coins end up missing a layer (or both layers) of nickel and end up ...
1975 penny11/10/2008
  Q: I have a 1975 penny that ios extreemly shinny. On the face right above the year is what appers to be ...
  A: You have found a (likely plated) 1975 cent that has a 'counterstamp'. A complany with a machine ...
Mint Error Coin11/10/2008
  Q: Mr Daughtrey, My father found a mint error coin around 1958 and has held it since. It is a silver ...
  A: Sounds like you found a real keeper there! I don't have specific information on a silver quarter on ...
1964 contiguous penny11/9/2008
  Q: Hey my name is Joel. I was looking on Ebay looking at rare pennies and there was a penny selling for ...
  A: Heh, if that were true I'd be a millionaire. Actually your source knows little or nothing about ...
2003 lincoln penny11/9/2008
  Q: We found a 2003 penny that looks as if it has been misstamped. It doesn't look double stamped, but ...
  A: It sounds to me like you have a cent that is about 10% off-center. Since it has the date, your coin ...
error 1925,1926 lincoln cents11/8/2008
  Q: I have 3 1925D and 3 1926D Lincoln cents with what looks like the imprint of Lincoln on the reverse ...
  A: You partially answered your own question - any time you have multiples of anything that came from ...
Mis-stamped quarter11/7/2008
  Q: I have a 1974 miss-stamped quarter,its slightly bigger a round than a regular quarter and also ...
  A: Cool error you have there - about 95% of the time people report errors that are just damage, but you ...
1930 Lincoln cent11/6/2008
  Q: ..digging through a pile of wheaties I bought at a yard sale, I found a nice 1930 with a filled 0 ...
  A: Filled digits are actually rather common on Lincoln cents. They occur when the die that mints the ...
1983d penny and 2000/2008 errors11/5/2008
  Q: I have a 1983d penny that has the obverse side stamped over the reverse side and on the reverse side ...
  A: It is most likely that you have a coin that was stacked with other coins and either squeezed with a ...
1970 LINCOLN HEAD DOUBLED STAMPED11/4/2008
  Q: I HAVE A 1970 LINCOLN HEAD DOUBLE IMPRINTED "S" PENNY IS IT WORTH ANYTHING OR CAN I JUST PUT IT IN ...
  A: Realistically without seeing the coin up close (as in either a good photograph or sending the coin ...
2001 dime - only one side plated11/4/2008
  Q: I saw that a dime that was stamped without plating - just copper showing - is valued between $3 and ...
  A: Let me start with some information about how dimes are made so you can better follow the remainder ...
mint mark11/3/2008
  Q: I can send a picture but it is not very good but it is in good condition.
  A: This is one of many cases where seeing the coin is imperative to being able to figure out what's ...
Double die 197911/2/2008
  Q: I have found a 1979 double die coin. Can you tell me what it is worth? I have noticed there are many ...
  A: You'll have to tell me what kind of coin you found. 'Coin' could mean over a thousand different ...
1988 dime/penny10/30/2008
  Q: i have a 1988 dime. i believe it was a dime and accidently fell in the penny press. it has both ...
  A: These are possible and do happen once in a while. Something else that happens is someone taking ...
wheat penny collection10/27/2008
  Q: I have unearthed a HUGE collection of coins from my grandmother and the most prevelant coin is the ...
  A: Well, best thing I could tell you is to check out the information website I authored called ...
large 1946 penny10/27/2008
  Q: my dads estate has a standard size 1946 penny struck onto a copper blank about the size of a ...
  A: With many different coins it is imperative to be able to see the item to attribute what it is and ...
1976 penny10/27/2008
  Q: I found a 1976 penny. the only thing is it has engraved or stamped symbol of Ohio with Ohio writing ...
  A: You are unlikely to find these in any price guide or catalog because they are privately created. A ...
Help please10/26/2008
  Q: I have a 1932 or 1937 wheat penny that was miss-printed. Is this penny worth more than a penny?
  A: A little terminology education...'print' is a word used for placing ink on items. 'mint' is the act ...
price for a 1934 ten dollar bill10/25/2008
  Q: How much would a ten dollar bill from 1934 cost.The serial number is G9051520A series A.
  A: That would depend on condition. In lower grades it would bring only $10-$15. In higher grades it ...
weird 1993 lincoln penny10/23/2008
  Q: Colin. ANSWER: You may send the images to cd@coppercoins.com - Make sure you include the word ...
  A: I was out sick a couple of days. Your coin has been smashed by something very heavy and is a little ...
misprint10/23/2008
  Q: I have a 1922 Liberty Eagle Silver Coin Dollar. The front states "IN GOD WE TRVST" not IN GOD WE ...
  A: The designer of the "Peace" Dollar, the coin you have, was Anthony DeFrancisci. He took the liberty ...
Quarter and dime10/23/2008
  Q: Bruce, I have 2 1978 quarters that are really small about the size of a dot left by a sharpie ...
  A: Bruce must be on vacation - your question went into the general pool of experts where I picked it ...
quarter value10/23/2008
  Q: what is the value of a quarter with no outside ridging?
  A: Well, if it's the right size, none were made that way. The 'ridging', called 'reeding' is a part of ...
possible rhode island quarter defect10/22/2008
  Q: I found a Philadelphia mint Rhode Island quarter that is missing the name Rhode island and the ...
  A: You have a coin that was struck with a die partly filled with grime and grease. The 'filling' was ...
1966 Lincoln cent10/20/2008
  Q: I am having trouble locating information and value of this Lincoln that has a "flaking" planchet. ...
  A: That is quite odd. I do agree that it's an error, probably caused by some sort of foreign body in ...
kuncikn cents10/19/2008
  Q: I have been collecting one cent coins in a 5 gallon water bottle since 1960. The bottle was full ...
  A: Wow...how to start. First, I suggest sorting them by date. Knowing what you have by date is the ...
Coin Collecting Abbreviations10/19/2008
  Q: I need to know what sm stands for: And what sms stands for:
  A: 'SM' I am not familiar with. I don't know if there is a numismatic term for that. If you could ...
1867 type two 5 cent10/19/2008
  Q: I have a clearly doubled or reengraved 1867 type two 5 cent, all numerals shifted to the right. PCGS ...
  A: Yes...and no. There are different types of doubled dates, one of which is collectible and ...
$20 Double Eagle Gold Pieces10/19/2008
  Q: I'm trying to find the "real value" for two $20 Double Eagle gold coins I own. The first is a 1900 ...
  A: CCE dealer bid for your 1900 $20 is $1,700. CCE dealer bid for your 1914S $20 is $1,200. This ...
1988 Quarter Error10/18/2008
  Q: While going through some pocket change I found a 1988 U.S. quarter where the "I" and half the "n" ...
  A: This is most likely a case of grease filling the letters of the die causing the metal of the coin ...
FEATHER HEAD DIMES10/17/2008
  Q: DIMES i THINK THEY ARE FEATHER HEAD. wHAT ARE THEY WORTH
  A: I believe you are talking about 'Winged Head Liberty dimes", more commonly called "Mercury dimes" ...
Lincoln cent10/16/2008
  Q: I found an uncirculated 1909 VDB Lincoln cent in a plastic holder. The holder is made by the ...
  A: Numismatically speaking, the holder and number aren't worth anything. The coin is what has the ...
Coin10/16/2008
  Q: I had gotten a coin and can't seem to find anything about it,even E-bay and can't find it. Anyway ...
  A: Since my guide only goes back to 1901, that's as far back as I can go with specific information, but ...
1964 silver washington quarter10/15/2008
  Q: I HAVE A 1964 WASHINGTON QUARTER THAT HAS A D MINT MARK THAT IS SOLID OR NO RIM IS THIS COIN OF ANY ...
  A: I'm not certain what you mean by "solid or no rim", but if you mean that it doesn't have the copper ...
LINCOLN PENNY10/14/2008
  Q: My daughter has a penny with Lincoln smoking a pipe with smoke rings coming up off the pipe..was ...
  A: The coins to which you refer are called 'counterstamps'. Private firms take normal coins and punch ...
Lincoln Coin 1942 "Steel" coin10/14/2008
  Q: I have what appears to be a 1942 (not 1943) steel 1 cent coin. It appears to have been from the San ...
  A: There is some very small chance it's real, and if it is it would be a big story. Two ways to test ...
1988 penny/dime10/14/2008
  Q: i found a 1988 penny with the front looking just fine but, the reverse has a dime imprinted in it. ...
  A: Without seeing the coin in person I would be very skeptical of something like this being a mint-made ...
Misprinted Coin10/13/2008
  Q: I have a Question and it's pretty surprising? My father was looking through his coin collection and ...
  A: Not as surprising to me as it is to you, I'm sure. I have actually seen these, and they do sell at ...
2001 New York State Quarter10/13/2008
  Q: I have a 2001 new york state quarter that is yellow/green in color. The color is similar to that of ...
  A: 5.7 grams is just barely overweight for a quarter. My guess (without seeing the coin, anybody would ...
Is this an error?10/12/2008
  Q: I have a 1990 Lincoln penny that I believe has a mis-stamp error. The "IN GOD WE TRUST", the GOD ...
  A: The short answer is no...your coin isn't an error. The long answer is that your coin suffers from ...
nickels10/12/2008
  Q: I have a nickel that is as thin as a dime. Is it worth anything? It was stamped that way from the ...
  A: If it was indeed minted that way it would be worth $10-$20 as a "split planchet, split before ...
Monroe Dollar10/12/2008
  Q: My name is Stephen. I have a 2008 Monroe dollar. On the edge where the lettering is, my lettering ...
  A: Because the presidential dollar coins did not receive their edge lettering at the time they were ...
1857 coin10/12/2008
  Q: I have an 1857 coin. One side is a 13 star banner with a Colonial person beneath it the date 1857. ...
  A: Well, it sounds to me like a 1/2 dollar California gold coin from the period before the San ...
1947 us double sided coin (heads)10/11/2008
  Q: my father in law has a silver dime dated 1947,it is real silver and other than having two heads it ...
  A: .. All U.S. Coins bearing either heads or tails on both sides of the coin are altered to be that ...
lincoln cent with state imprinted on it10/10/2008
  Q: I have a set of lincoln cents that appears to be a commemorative set. Each penny has the state ...
  A: The coins to which you refer are called 'counterstamps' and are produced by private firms using ...
blank penny10/10/2008
  Q: i have a blank penny that is blank on both sides and i was wondering how much it would be worth?
  A: Blank planchets for cents come out of the mint fairly commonly and are usually sold for $2-$5 each. ...
WHEAT PENNY10/10/2008
  Q: i purchased a coin on line advertised as a error coin. I am wondering if it is anyting or garbage. ...
  A: The best way to tell if you have anything is to weigh the piece. If it weighs in at or over 3.11 ...
misstruct penny10/9/2008
  Q: I have a penny that is about 1/3 struck. Is it very rare? and is it worth a lot?
  A: Frankly there's not enough information in your question for me to give you a realistic answer. 1/3 ...
Numerous coins10/9/2008
  Q: this may seem like a strange question but in 1974 my dad died, I was left his coin collection (he ...
  A: This is a tough one since I live in the USA and don't know how common coin dealers are over there. ...
1983 Penny10/9/2008
  Q: Mr Daughtrey, Looking through my coins today, I found a 1983 D penny. Right above the date is an ...
  A: It actually IS a gimmick. There are hundreds of thousands of these out there in change waiting to ...
penny10/8/2008
  Q: I have found a penny that has a back stamped on both sides. Would this be of any money value other ...
gold dollar10/8/2008
  Q: I have a US solid gold (I think it is solid) dollar dated 1900 - are these coins worth anything?
  A: The only problem is that there were no gold dollars made in 1900. Closest would be commemorative ...
1970D Penny10/8/2008
  Q: I came across a 1970D penny that has the grooved edge like a dime. Did the US mint make any of these ...
  A: Now THAT's funny! But unfortunately the latter is true. The 'grooves' on dimes, quarters, half ...
stae quarter10/8/2008
  Q: I have a West Virginia state quarter 2005 that doesnt have the top on it, the top has copper or ...
  A: You could have one of three things, and a secret will help determine which of the three you ...
Two Headed GW Medallion10/8/2008
  Q: I know you specialize in coins and medals but I wondered if you knew anything about medallions. I ...
  A: Hmm, I'm really not sure what to tell you it is, nor would I really know where to lead you without ...
1924 Merc dime error?10/8/2008
  Q: A friend of mine asked me to look over an "inherited and abandoned" collection of coins. A strange ...
  A: It appears to me that your coin was skillfully altered by the same type of artist that carves hobo ...
1977D penny10/8/2008
  Q: I have a 1977 lincoln penny that appears to be a very light strike. You can read liberty and the ...
  A: Your coin is actually struck through a bunch of grease and grime that pooled into the die. It's not ...
Half ladders $ Full Ladders10/7/2008
  Q: What are half ladders and full ladders on 1957 silver certificates? Are they valuable?
  A: Ladder notes are those that have serial numbers that make a run, or 'straight' in poker terms. For ...
Gold Indian Head Coin10/7/2008
  Q: I jsut went to check on my coin with your website & found you had given a woman advise on the same ...
  A: I found your question in a general question pool, which means the original responder was on vacation ...
mis struck Massachusetts state quarter10/7/2008
  Q: I purchased a roll of state quarters in 2000, Massachusetts. One of the quarters is smooth on the ...
  A: It sounds to me like you have a perfect candidate for what is known as a "die trial strike". ...
1962 penny10/6/2008
  Q: I also have a 1962 silver looking penny. Is there anything I should look for. It doesn't seem to ...
  A: The best way to find out if you have anything of value here is to weigh the coin. Lincoln cents ...
WHEAT PENNY NO DATE10/6/2008
  Q: I HAVE A WHEAT PENNY THAT LOOKS JUST LIKE A REGULAR WHEAT PENNY WITH NORMAL WEAR THAT HAS NO DATE. ...
  A: The only way your coin could have come from the mint that way is if the date were obstructed when ...
Dollar 1899, reverse is 180 degrees10/6/2008
  Q: I have a Morgan in good quality, maybe 60. It is wrong minted in the way that the opposite side is ...
  A: A number of people tend to flip the coin wrong to view the other side and think it's up-side down, ...
penny10/6/2008
  Q: What is the best way to clean a penny?
  A: Really the best way if you want it to keep any value is not to clean it at all... But the best ...
coin dealers10/6/2008
  Q: just have a quick question, i've started collecting coins recently but can't find any dealers near ...
  A: You can try this link - about a dozen listed in East Florida: ...
Wondering the value.....10/5/2008
  Q: How much is a 1923 Silver eagle dollar worth with the back mispelled. In God we Trvst, instead of ...
  A: The designer of the Peace Dollar (your 1923 silver dollar) was a man named Anthony DeFrancisci. He ...
Just wondering10/5/2008
  Q: I came across a 2006 Jefferson nickel that seems to have been altered. It looks like it has been put ...
  A: This is the first of its type I've ever heard of, but since these are "counter struck" outside the ...
lincoln penny10/5/2008
  Q: i was just recently going through my late uncle's coin collection and i can't seem to find this type ...
  A: ..this is actually a pretty common defect on coins. Grease or other contaminants clog the recess of ...
coin collection10/5/2008
  Q: what is the best way to get a value on an old coin collection.I have inherited a few coins seems ...
  A: Best place to start is the "Red Book - A Guide to United States Coins", by R. S. Yeoman and Ken ...
die rotation on spouse medal10/4/2008
  Q: I received a spouse medal that has about a 30 degree die rotation. Is this common?
  A: I have never seen one of these - they are probably a private mint issue, and given that, the ...
Wheat Penny10/4/2008
  Q: I have a wheat penny that has only 3 date numbers 194?, is it worth anything? And it is not worn ...
  A: VERY likely that your coin is from 1946. The dies were overused that year, and die wear was very ...
mint errors10/4/2008
  Q: Charles I have three Lincoln pennies and I can't find them in any price guide, Can you let me ...
  A: The problem you are having is that the coins you describe are very minor and very common 'accepted' ...
Mistake? Maybe?10/4/2008
  Q: I recently bought a bag of 90% silver dimes, a mix of Mercury and Eisenhower dimes. And as I looked ...
1984 dime10/4/2008
  Q: Checking pocket change tonight to my surprise, I found a 1984 dime that on the reverse it has ...
  A: It sounds to me like one of the following, the first being the most likely... 1. If the front side ...
All silver coins10/3/2008
  Q: What regular circulation coins were mad of all silver, Example the dime was made of all silver ...
  A: I think this is what you are looking for: Dimes: 90% silver until 1964. 1965 started copper-nickel ...
1969s and 1970s pennies10/3/2008
  Q: I have two 1969s and one 1970s penny. wondering if you knew of anyone here in tampa bay area in ...
  A: I don't understand "the fuss" - 1969S and 1970S cents are common as coins go, but are a little ...
IDAHO QUARTER10/3/2008
  Q: MY HUSBAND CAHED HIS CHECK AT THE BANK. IN THE CAHNGE HE RECIEVED THERE WAS AN IDAHO QUARTER. IT ...
  A: Gold on one side, eh? Is it possible that it is coppery in color? This would make more sense than ...
silver colored penny10/3/2008
  Q: I found a 2007 penny that is not copper colored like usual it looks the color of a nickel or ...
  A: . First thing to do with this coin is to have it weighed on a precision gram scale. 1997 cents are ...
1982 coppe penny10/2/2008
  Q: Just found your site & wonder why my Whitman Lincoln Cents book has the "82 penny as both copper & ...
  A: Yeah, seems to be some confusion there. I'll try to clear it up here. I don't remember having said ...
FDR/9-11 coin10/2/2008
  Q: I have a coin that I recently found and it has a photograph of FDR's profile and the Roosevelt ...
  A: First, there is a difference between a 'coin' and a 'medal' - I believe yours is a medal. A coin is ...
Uncirculated Dime Bank Rolls10/1/2008
  Q: Recently, I started coin collecting, deciding to start with dimes. I've bought a few Mercury and ...
  A: You've hit a terminology stumble between you and the teller. They don't know or care whether their ...
1952 silver wheat penny10/1/2008
  Q: is there any value to this penny I found? If no should I save it will there be value in the future? ...
  A: Almost all the time a silver colored wheat penny that's not dated 1943 turns out to be plated with ...
weird 1993 one cent10/1/2008
  Q: I have in my collection a really strange 1993 Lincoln penny. The penny is slightly larger than ...
  A: I would have to see it to know exactly what's wrong with it, but I suspect it has been plated, then ...
Gold liberty double eagle9/30/2008
  Q: I have a 1877 liberty double eagle with no mint mark, does this make this coin more valuable? Also ...
  A: In 1877 double eagles were minted in Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Carson City. The Philadelphia ...
california half cent gold coins9/30/2008
  Q: are the replicas of any value
  A: To my knowledge there is no such thing as a half cent California gold coin, perhaps a half dollar. ...
Kennedy Half Dollar on a Nickel Planchet9/30/2008
  Q: My father has a Kennedy Half Dollar that was misprinted on a Nickel Planchet. He found it while ...
  A: It is always an unknown as to how many coins like this were made and circulated because they were ...
Missouri State Quarter9/30/2008
  Q: I have a Missouri State Quarter, I have to check on the date and mint; but on my quarter its missing ...
  A: It is most likely that your coin is the result of an 'obstructed die strike'. This happens when the ...
lincoln cent cleaning9/29/2008
  Q: what is the best way to clean a copper coin that has turned blue/gray after being in a vinyl pocket ...
  A: Best way is with an orange oil based solution called 'Goo-Gone', purchasable at Wal Mart or K Mart ...
one sided quarter9/29/2008
  Q: i have a 1979 quarter with reverse side smooth copper with a bump in the middle. what is it worth?
  A: Your quarter is probably the result of an experiment in a machine shop. Someone was using it to ...
1933 Portuguesa 5$009/27/2008
  Q: I bought a small bag of coins at an Estate Sale for the "tooth fairy" to leave for my sons. One of ...
  A: 1933 Portugal 5 Escudos. Krause catalog # KM581. Composition 65% silver. Silver weight 0.1463 oz. ...
How much is my 1969 S lincoln cent worth. Double striked MS-64 Red9/26/2008
  Q: How much is my 1969 S lincoln cent worth. It is Double striked and a MS-64 Red .. I am looking to ...
  A: It really depends on what you are calling a 'double strike'. If there is a little doubling on the ...
about a old coins9/26/2008
  Q: we have three coins , i would like the price , can you help me found out?? steel penny 1943 we ...
  A: Your steel 1943 cent is worth between 10 cents and $2-3. It depends on the condition of the coin, ...
1958 Roosevelt dime9/25/2008
  Q: I have a 1958 Roosevelt dime that has a large #2 punched in the face of it, can you tell me anything ...
  A: It sounds to me like you have a counterstamped coin - someone took a punch and hammered the digit ...
2003 Illinois Smooth Edge Quarter9/25/2008
  Q: I have a 2003 Illinois Quarter that has been stamped deep and has a completely smooth edge rather ...
  A: Almost all the time when I see these they are the result of a coin that has been used a whole bunch ...
1918 Penny Date Error9/25/2008
  Q: I have a 1918 penny that actually shows 4918 for the date. Is this a known error and how much is it ...
  A: Actually this wouldn't be possible from the mint. Your coin either has damage on it that makes it ...
half pence silver 1927, 1949 thru 19599/24/2008
  Q: I have a belt made with coins (it looks like the coins have melted silver to keep them on the belt. ...
  A: 1/2 Pence coins were always made of copper. They were probably plated in either silver or (more ...
1950 5 dollar bill9/24/2008
  Q: I got 5 dollar that is 1950 is it worth anythig.It in mint condition.
  A: Only if it is in mint condition..it would bring $20-$25. "Mint" condition translates to "crisp ...
dime flaw9/23/2008
  Q: I have a 2007 dime with what appears to be a crack cast in it. I can send detailed picture if you ...
  A: From what I can see it appears that the crack goes all the way through the design, which means this ...
unusual currency9/23/2008
  Q: I have a $5.00 bill from 1999 that is missing the U.S. treasury seal. What might be an approximate ...
  A: Good news and bad news...bad news is that I know nothing about paper currency errors - completely ...
really thin wheat penny9/23/2008
  Q: my mom has a 1940 wheat penny,it is almost paper thin,the size is the same as all other pennies,do ...
  A: Most of the time these are coins that were left in coke or some other corrosive acid to thin them ...
1992 double die kennedy obverse9/22/2008
  Q: I came across this coin at work the doubling starts at the forehead and continues all the way ...
  A: Without seeing images of the coin I cannot ever be 100% certain, but I am 95% certain what you have ...
miss printed nickle9/22/2008
  Q: hello my names henry and i found a nickle that is miss printed you cant see the front of the nickle ...
  A: It sounds to me like you might have a coin that was struck in error. From the words you use, I ...
copper-clad ike?9/21/2008
  Q: i have recently come across a 1972 eisenhower dollar coin, that has ike's face on both sides no ...
  A: The two dies, obverse and reverse, simply will not fit into the minting press in the wrong position. ...
1953 d penny9/20/2008
  Q: I have a 1953 d penny with a double bar on the 5. is it rare and is it worth anything?
  A: That I am aware there is no doubled die obverse known for the 1953D cent. Given that, I would have ...
Different kind of coin9/19/2008
  Q: I havea dime that seems to have been in a fire. The coin has a large bubble on the face of the coin ...
  A: You are correct that your dime was probably in a fire. The description you give is accurate for ...
Die error?9/17/2008
  Q: I ran across this on craigs list, here is a link. Is this guy nuts? Or does he really have something ...
  A: I didn't get a link to visit in this one. I assume this is a duplicate of the other question you ...
blank back penny9/17/2008
  Q: i have a penny from 1945 that is blank on the back. is this coin worth anything? thank you for ...
  A: If the coin has raised rims on the back, possibly so. Most likely it does not have the raised rims, ...
florida quater9/16/2008
  Q: with smooth edge twice the thickness & not as big in diameter
  A: This would have to be a coin that was pounded inward at the edges after it left the mint. Reason ...
Odd 1969 penny9/16/2008
  Q: Daughtrey, I hope you can help me. I have always been a lover of coins, clearly from the "stash" I ...
  A: These coins are what your dealer told you they are. They are known as 'counterstamps' and are done ...
blank penny9/15/2008
  Q: I have what seems to be a newer penny with its back side like every other penny made. However, ...
  A: There could be a number of different things that happened to your coin, but it would take an image ...
misstamped nickle9/13/2008
  Q: I have a jefferson nickle 1997 D that when flipped the building is off by almost 180 degress.I've ...
  A: If you look at the coin on the obverse (front side) normally, then flip the coin top to bottom (not ...
1953 penny9/12/2008
  Q: I wanted to know if you could help me, I have a penny that is different from others, it looks like ...
  A: Unfortunately with coins like this it is very difficult to answer questions without being able to ...
coin and bill9/11/2008
  Q: 00 bill signed by Robert Anderson #h02479034 8 with a P on tht left an then right P156 There are ...
  A: Your $20 note could bring as much as $50 to a dealer if it's in crisp condition. Those are not ...
Florida State Coin- Is it a misprint?9/10/2008
  Q: I just came across a Florida State coin today. It is in great condition. where the D or P would be, ...
  A: You have found a coin that was made as a special collector's coin and placed into a set made for ...
a quarter with no heads - tails on both sides9/9/2008
  Q: My niece found this recently. Would you know its approximate worth? Thank You, Henry A. Walter
  A: These coins are magicians coins made in a machine shop from two normal coins. It is not possible ...
1910 Metal Wheat Penny9/9/2008
  Q: I have a 1910, no mint mark, metal wheat penny. It will stick to a common refrigerator magnet. I ...
  A: First, I can tell you without a doubt that the coin is not as it was minted. It has been messed ...
double head half ollar9/8/2008
  Q: i have a 1996 kennedy half dollar heads on both sides.what is the value?
1958 rippled on the front and back and ddo9/8/2008
  Q: I have a wheat cent cent that is "rippled" on the front from the bottom left all the way up to the ...
  A: This is one of those cases where a picture says a thousand words - without a picture I am in the ...
Wheat Penny9/7/2008
  Q: I just found a 1945 Wheat penny. It is struck with a Mason symbol on Lincoln left shoulder and ...
  A: These are called counterstamped coins. They are the result of someone with a punch outside the mint ...
1913 S/D Lincoln penny9/6/2008
  Q: I have found a 1913 pennywith a S stamped over D in the mint mark.Iwas just wondering how rare this ...
  A: Well, you've come to the right place for your answer. I have written two different books on ...
quarter9/6/2008
  Q: I have a 2000 P quarter with a bump on both sides a south caralina quarter. Is it worth anything? ...
  A: Discolored? Not always, but sometimes. In some cases the soot from the fire coats the coin. Other ...
Quarter9/4/2008
  Q: I have a florida quarter that has no silver on it at all. When I found the quarter it was a copper ...
  A: Determining value of this coin would require visual inspection of the coin. It could be a mint ...
50 pesos9/4/2008
  Q: I have a 50 pesos marked 37.5gr oro puro dated 1821-1945 that has been left to me. The coin is ...
  A: Mexican gold coins typically sell for their melt value - one of the things that makes them popular ...
one sided quarter9/2/2008
  Q: I have a one sided quarter, the other side is copper tone and has swirls only. Whats the value?
  A: No value, unfortunately. This is a coin that was altered in a machine shop from a normal coin as a ...
Blank back side 1945 penny9/1/2008
  Q: We found in my mothers estate a l945 penney which is blank on one side. Would you have an idea of ...
  A: If your coin is perfectly smooth and blank on one side, it is something done with a grinder at a ...
value of coin9/1/2008
  Q: What is the value of a quarter that has two heads? One side is stamped with 1973 and the other is ...
  A: Two headed coins are magician's trick coins made in machine shops from two different coins. They ...
ceylon copper coin of 1 cent 18908/29/2008
  Q: i have one ceylon copper coin of 1 cent of year 1890 i want to ask about its value. one side it has ...
  A: Unfortunately my capability to help with non-U.S. coins only goes back to 1901. I only collect U.S. ...
Old indian coin8/28/2008
  Q: I have an 1897 United sate Indian coin know anything about them?on one side is says united states ...
  A: You have an indian head cent. They were minted from 1859 through 1909, and were designed by the ...
Misprint On US Silver Dollar8/28/2008
  Q: I recently recieved a Silver Dollar that had what I think could be a misprint on the back where it ...
  A: Without seeing the coin it's not possible to tell exactly what you have, but from your explanation ...
two haeded penny8/27/2008
  Q: i have a two headed penny and was just woundering what it is worth.
  A: Two headed coins are novelties created in machine shops for magicians and gagsters. They cannot be ...
New state quarters8/27/2008
  Q: I am trying to find out if there are any problems (flaws) in the state quarters. Where could one ...
  A: To my knowledge there is no one source for this type of information. Since my expertise is in ...

All Questions in This Category

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Charles D Daughtrey

Top Expert on this page