Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Questions Answered by Expert Gordon Petersen

SubjectDate Asked
Miss cut 20 dollar bill11/19/2015
  Q: I have a series 2009 miss cut 20 dollar bill that I am trying to if it has any value other than its ...
  A: Scott - Here's one that sold on ebay for $30 ...
1888 0 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR DOUBLED ARROWS VERY HIGH GRADE- DMPL RIGHT& HIGH O3/3/2015
  Q: Please provide your professional advice on the above coin that I recently obtained. included is 2 ...
  A: John, Unfortunately, nothing stops a seller from incorrectly grading a coin. Even grading services ...
Half dollar1/5/2014
  Q: can you tell me the name of this coin, the grade, the condition, the value and who can I sell it ...
  A: Eddie, These are Standing Liberty Half Dollars. I would guess there grade to be good and about ...
Morgan Dollars7/16/2013
  Q: I am buying these three Morgan dollars from somebody over Craig's list. But the certification ...
  A: Jose, Don't pay any attention to any slab coin grade unless its graded by PCGS or NGC. NTC and NPG ...
Coin Grading Co Legitamacy10/17/2012
  Q: Sir, I recently bought a couple of morgans with a grading of ms66 from what shows ANCS. I was ...
  A: Matt, Yes, I've have had some bad experiences with ANACS. There are now over 25 of similar grading ...
NTC7/24/2012
  Q: I purchased a WTC recovered silver eagle without a grading bc of noticeable burn marks on the coin. ...
  A: Rick, In my opinion, only are PCGS and NGC are to be trusted. Their coins bring higher values for ...
1958p lincoln cent error5/23/2012
  Q: Is this doubled die?
  A: Darrick, Sorry - -no - -take a look at ...
Appraisal of Silver Coins8/4/2011
  Q: I want to get my mother's collection appraised. I am in Snellville, GA 30039. Can you refer some ...
  A: Carole, Most appraisals aren't free, especially for more valuable coins. I don't know any ...
1984 penny with circles7/17/2011
  Q: I am VERY new to coin collecting, but I am having a lot of fun looking for error coins, and learning ...
  A: Wendy, I really can't comment about your specific coin without seeing a clear picture of what ...
mis-strike 1802 draped bust silver dollar5/19/2011
  Q: I am a small-time collector, almost exclusively of world coins. I recently bought a small lot of US ...
  A: Here's a link to the PCGS price guide. ...
NPG Rating3/22/2011
  Q: I saw your previous answer today about NPG from march 3rd, a little too late for me unfortunately. I ...
  A: Jonathan, Sorry, but it's not possible to be specific. There are some "grading services" which are ...
Coin Grading2/25/2011
  Q: I recently purchased a coin graded by the National Numismatic Certification. Ebay does not accept ...
  A: Tom, Here's a link to an article that explains the difference among rating services. ...
1922- D Lincoln cent Error no mint mark2/21/2011
  Q: Gordon, Where can I find a 1922- d Error no mint mark lincoln cent? I have the WHITMAN book of ...
  A: Charles, Because there are so many fakes out there, I wouldn't buy a 22 no D penny unless it was ...
gold state coin1/24/2011
  Q: I got a pennsylvania state coin but it is all gold colored and just wanted to know if there was any ...
  A: Shawna, I'd need to see a clear image of both sides of your coin to comment. My first guess is ...
1837 One Cent coin1/19/2011
  Q: I have a rather unique coin, I think. It is a rather well worn 1837 One Cent piece with some ...
  A: John, As my profile states, it's not possible for me to comment on specific coins without seeing ...
Grading Company - MTB Banking Corporation10/30/2010
  Q: I recently purchased two coins (1936 commemorative half dollars) that were slab/graded by MTB ...
  A: Richard, The short answer to your questions is no and I don't so. Coin grading has always been a ...
ANACS coin comments9/11/2010
  Q: I sent a 1943 .50 cent to Anacs for grading and have it attributed. It came back with the ...
  A: David, He's a link to an article that answers your question. ...
mint set vaule3/29/2010
  Q: I have a 1979 type 2 united states mint proof set, what is appox. vaule Thanks Robert
  A: Robert, Here's a link to the PCGS price guide for proof ooins: ...
Morgan Silver Dollar Value3/25/2010
  Q: What is the current value of a 1889-P Morgan Silver Dollar OCGS MS-65?
  A: Walter, Here's a link to the PCGS price guide. It gives a value of $390 for a MS-65 1889 P dollar. ...
1902 Silver Dollar3/24/2010
  Q: I found a 1902 Silver dollar, are they rare and how much is it worth now?
  A: Tracy, There are still a lot of silver dollars around. The more common dates that show some wear ...
1873 Sitting lady Liberty Coin3/24/2010
  Q: I have this 1873 Sitting Lady Liberty One Dollar Coin. Is this coin worth anything. On the front she ...
  A: Nader, It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think what you may have is a 1/2 dollar. He's a ...
1921 morgan silver dollar mint mark3/23/2010
  Q: this 1921 morgan i have ,seems to have a mark of some kind above and between the D and the o ...
  A: Ronnie, The picture you sent is a little out of focus; the mark you are describing is just a blur. ...
mdd proof3/19/2010
  Q: h Hello,and thank you for your time. I read a question and answer on this site about mdd proofs,My ...
  A: Dennis, I don't speak for NGC, so I'd suggest you ask questions about their service directly to ...
uncircultated 1853 2 1/2 dollar gold piece3/13/2010
  Q: I would like to know the value of our uncirculated 1853 2 1/2 gold piece. It has a D next to the 2 ...
  A: Sally, Unfortunately the picture you sent is out of focus so I can't see any details of the coin. ...
DAR coin collection3/11/2010
  Q: I have the complete set of the DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION coins...they are pewter. i ...
  A: Christie, I can't be much help. I did find a set on Ebay for sale for $449, but it didn't sell. My ...
1913 Penny3/9/2010
  Q: I found a 1913 D wheat penny, I was just wondering what it might be worth! Any help would be awsome!
  A: Randy, The 1913 D penny is one of the ones that are tough to find. Here's a link to one that ...
1979 Year of the Child Coin Collection3/9/2010
  Q: What is the entire 42 coin collection worth (12 gold 30 silver) both in display boxes. The 1979 ...
  A: Gerald, The value of these coins is quite dependant on the spot gold and silver markets. Here is a ...
proof set?3/9/2010
  Q: father passed recently, found a collection of coins,have been able to id most of them.one set i ...
  A: Dennis, 1971 Proof Sets were all made at the San Francisco mint, and have "S" mint marks. The mint ...
2010 Silver Eagle Size3/7/2010
  Q: I purchased some American Silver Eagles "bullion" coins that are 40.70mm in size & was curious if ...
  A: Ben, A couple of questions for you. Where did you buy these? How much did you pay? Can you get me a ...
Swedish crown3/5/2010
  Q: I have a Swedish crown from 1978 and I was wondering how much that would be worth in US currency. ...
  A: Ariah, He's a link to a one krone Swedish coin being sold by a coin dealer on Ebay ...
coin gradeing companies3/3/2010
  Q: I just bought a coin that was graded by a company called NPG I confused it with NGC how good is the ...
  A: Terry, Coin grading is an often disputed subject, and you'll find everybody has a different ...
20 $ star note 19632/23/2010
  Q: i got this star note from a kid who got it for allowance. he didnt know what a star note was (i do, ...
  A: Bob, Here's a link to one that sold on Ebay for $26 and change. ...
Silver certificates2/23/2010
  Q: I have several $1 silver certifcates in various conditions. My question is should I hang onto them, ...
  A: Alice, The more common date silver certificates are worth about $2 a piece. In my opinion, you'll ...
$10.00 bill2/21/2010
  Q: I have a $10. bill 1963A signed Henry H. Fowler.He was not the secretary till 1965.He was the under ...
  A: Rick, I know nothing about the politics, but I believe it was common for keep the same series for a ...
1976 lincoln penny2/16/2010
  Q: I have a 1976D penny that has a smaller Lincoln head facing the original Lincoln. Is there such a ...
  A: Sandy, Your penny did not come that way from the mint. Coins are modified in a number of different ...

All Questions in This Category

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Gordon Petersen

Top Expert on this page