Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Questions Answered by Expert Kathy Lawrence

SubjectDate Asked
two dates on spanish coin11/16/2011
  Q: We have only just realized after almost 20 years that we have a mis-printed coin amongst our ...
  A: Barry, Thank you for your question. The particular 200 pesetas coin you have is a bit unusual in ...
1909 s with missing In God We Trust!11/11/2011
  Q: ...well after doing some research I found out that the Original Designs by DAVID BRENNER did not ...
  A: Mirza, You are the most enthusiastic coin hunter I have ever encountered and I commend you for your ...
Blake & Co California 20 dollar gold coin11/11/2011
  Q: I have one of these and am wondering if it is worth anything to a collector? It is dated 1855.
  A: Sandy, Thank you for your question. Territorial gold coins are quite popular with collectors and as ...
2004 twenty dollar bill with star11/7/2011
  Q: my name is Heather. I currently came to posses a $20 with a star instead of a letter and I had heard ...
  A: Heather, Thank you for your question. The star indicates that there was a problem with the note ...
value of coin if possible11/7/2011
  Q: I have a 1904 and a 1906 Indian Head penny.... ALSO a large penny dated 1818 .. Is there any ...
  A: Margie, Thank you for your questions. The Indian Head cents are common for those dates. Depending ...
Great Medal10/28/2011
  Q: again; My collection consist on World medals. I don't know if you can help me, but I hope so. This ...
  A: Ramon, It's a modern re-strike and is worth roughly $150 to $175. Sincerely, Kathy Ramon, I ...
value of paper money from china10/26/2011
  Q: I need to know what 10 yuan printed in 1940 would be worth. It is from the bank of china and it has ...
  A: Karen, Thank you for your question. There are two different varieties of those notes (serial number ...
unknown coin10/26/2011
  Q: I have what I think is a jeton coin. On one side it has arrows that are banded together and unknown ...
  A: Matt, Thank you for your question. Is there any way you can provide an image of the coin? I need ...
Medalla 178310/24/2011
  Q: I don't know if you work with medals, but I hope you can help me. I have this medal some time ago, ...
  A: Luis, I can't quite make out all of the text in the photos, but it appears to be a medal related to ...
odd Kennedy Half found 1971 plain10/23/2011
  Q: At a local restaurant I asked if they had any silver dollars or halves I could buy. I got about 3 ...
  A: Tim, Thank you for your question. I'd have to actually see the coin to get a better idea. Is there ...
$100 bill misprint10/21/2011
  Q: Are you aware of any misprints concerning a $100 bill with a $10 bill printed on the other side? How ...
  A: Robert, Thank you for your question. That type of error is known as a Double Denomination error and ...
Blake & Co.1855 20 dolls California Gold10/20/2011
  Q: ..I've seen many of the same persons w/ the same coimn as us, but have not found an answer as to the ...
  A: Helen, Thank you for your question. Territorial gold coins are quite popular with collectors and as ...
1919 s Error Penny ! How Rare?10/18/2011
  Q: Cathy..I did not hear from you? Here is pic.. Also I found out while taking the Pic that coin is not ...
  A: Mirza, I wrote responded to your previous question earlier today. Thank you for the image- that ...
George Washington Coin10/18/2011
  Q: I have a George Washington Coin (I believe it is a commemorative), on the front is G. Washington ...
  A: Kathy, Thank you for your question. There are SO many George Washington items that there is an ...
Austrian coins10/18/2011
  Q: This one has a Franz Joseph profile on one side and a profile of a woman on the other side. I think ...
  A: Danger, Thank you for your questions. Please keep in mind that the price of silver has risen since ...
1919 s Error Penny ! How Rare?10/15/2011
  Q: How are you Cathy? I know you get a lot of people asking Q about coins so I will be Brief... ...
  A: Mirza, Unfortunately, I would really have to see the coin in order to make a clear determination as ...
error no cent v-nickel10/4/2011
  Q: just tryimg to send you some good pictures
  A: This looks like a Racketeer nickel from the photo because it has a gold tint, but I see from your ...
G. Washington Madalion10/2/2011
  Q: I have a GW Madalion with hole in top, in excellant condition, any idea of its approxament value ...
  A: Ron, Thank you for your question. That observe was paired with several different reverses, often ...
hispaniarum10/1/2011
  Q: I have a coin in one side it says hispaniarum rex f8 1724 and in the other ludovicus I dei gra its ...
  A: Rossana, Thank you for your question. Would it be possible for you to send me images of both sides? ...
No P or D mark9/29/2011
  Q: I found a Washington Bicentennial quarter with the date 1776 -1976 on it. On the back is the picture ...
  A: Coins produced at the Denver Mint will have a "D" mintmark and coins minted in San Francisco will ...
value of Austro-Hungarian korona9/26/2011
  Q: I have a 1000 Kronen paper bank note from Austria from 1902 and was wondering approximately how much ...
  A: Donna, Thank you for your question. I love the colors and designs on those notes. The catalog ...
No date Linclon cent9/26/2011
  Q: I have a Linclon wheat penny that has no date. The 19 is plainly there but nothing else. ...
  A: Bill, Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, those types of "errors" are not production errors ...
chinese/japanese coin?9/25/2011
  Q: Have a coin here and can't find any info anywhere about it. Any ideas?
  A: Edward, That is the front. The design is a plum blossom. The coin is a yuan from Taiwan. I don't ...
Mexican Reales silver coin worth?9/24/2011
  Q: I inherited from my great grandmother a coin collection from different countries (mostly mexican ...
  A: Eduardo, Thank you for your question. I can't tell the condition of your 1793 1 Real from the ...
silver certificate value9/21/2011
  Q: I have a rather extensive coin collection, basically from my grandfather, but recently aquired a ...
  A: Susan, Thank you for your question. I'm not familiar with that particular item. Unfortunately, the ...
advice on how to sell ancient east african coins9/20/2011
  Q: i would kike you to advice me on where and how i can sell some old east African coins that i have. ...
  A: Philis, Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, those coins do not have too much value above ...
1917 Coin9/19/2011
  Q: I don't really collect coins per say, but if I find one I like, or is old, I'll keep it in a special ...
  A: Brittaney, The images helped a lot- thanks. It's a 3 pence coin from Great Britain. Due to the ...
1917 2 dollar bill9/19/2011
  Q: It was my mothers and she was murdered, I am a sigle mom and was told it might be worth something, ...
  A: Marcie, Would it be possible for you to provide a scan of the note? If not, can you tell me the ...
1908 100 mark german reichbank notes8/31/2011
  Q: Kathy, I have 3 consecutively numbered crisp unused 1908 100 mark notes with red seal/serial ...
  A: Cathasaigh, Thank you for your question. Those are beautiful notes. There are two varieties, and in ...
1978 d mint 10 pfennig in vf to ms8/31/2011
  Q: i was wondering the value of this coin. It is in vf to ms condition there is a d above the 10 ...
  A: Jake, Thank you for your question. With rare exceptions, most coins minted for circulation in the ...
BanQue D'etat Du Maroc8/29/2011
  Q: I have a 1943 Banque D'etat Du Maroc Bank note in mint condition (still crisp) In on it as follows: ...
  A: Norma, Neat note. Thanks for your question. It is a 50 Francs note from Morocco. The catalog number ...
Rhodesian 2/- coin 19548/26/2011
  Q: Herewith scan of 2/- Rhod 1954
  A: Rob, The picture made all of the difference because now I can see that it's from Southern Rhodesia ...
Morgan Silver Dollars8/26/2011
  Q: I have 4 Morgan Silver Dollars that I wanted to get a price on and have a question about them. First ...
  A: Craig, Thank you for your question. Is there any chance you can provide images? If so, you can send ...
Pope's coins8/24/2011
  Q: My mother has 2 X 3 coin sets bought in Vatican many years ago = 21mm+ in diameter , "La presente ...
  A: Bruce, I am not too familiar with the private coins/medals sold by the Vatican. I know there are ...
value of a mis-printed $1 bill8/23/2011
  Q: I work in a bank. In about 1981,I found a $1 bill in a pack of new ones we received from Fed ...
  A: Joyce, Good for you! Would it be possible for you to send me a scan of both sides of the note? You ...
Coins from 17488/19/2011
  Q: I have several small (about 1/2" dia) coins dated 1748 and the mintmark A. They are "uniface," with ...
  A: Alan, You are correct that it is from the Austrian state of Salzburg. The ruler for this was ...
Just acquired collection8/19/2011
  Q: I do not know much about coins I just bought a collection of mostly US coins (some foriegn), with ...
  A: Tammy, That is a good question. What time period are the items from? Which countries are mainly ...
1978 Nickel8/16/2011
  Q: Kathy is this nickel an error, and does it have any value.
  A: Marge, Thank you for the question and the image. It's hard to tell without seeing it in person, but ...
I Found I 1924 Penny with8/16/2011
  Q: I already Checked online and the only place I found a PIC of a 1924 is on CoinTalk and...it does not ...
  A: Mirza, I sure wish I could enlarge this image and see detail... In general I see what you're ...
Yun-Nan-Province 7 Mace and 2 Candareens Coin8/15/2011
  Q: I was going thru my old coins one day and ran across this one that i have forgotten about having. I ...
  A: Preston, Thank you for your question and the images. Often counterfeits can be spotted by the ...
Cinco Soles Oro 9/10 Fino Peruvian Gold Coin8/12/2011
  Q: Kathy, I have 2 of these coins(1969)mounted in gold as cufflinks. Are the coins themselves more ...
  A: Teresa, The date range for those is 1956-1969. Of the years the coins were minted, the only one ...
I have a 1947 Pennys that Sound DEAD no Melodey when Dropped! Unlike any Wheat Penny! Why?8/10/2011
  Q: Is it Possible? For a Wheat Penny of that Era to act this way I have heard many many Wheat Pennys ...
  A: As someone who loves Wheat Cents regardless of the date, it pains me to hear that you're dropping ...
Japanese coin album8/10/2011
  Q: I own a Japanese coin album that contains the following: 1 Yen - 1955 thru 1975 5 Yen - 1948 ...
  A: Bill, Thank you for your question. That sounds like a neat collection. Unfortunately, there is not ...
president commerative coins8/10/2011
  Q: i hope you can help. I have two coins one with Abraham Lincoln the other George Washington. On both ...
  A: Loretta, Thank you for your question. I'm sorry it has taken me a while to respond. We've been ...
Lincoln penny with stars in place of date8/8/2011
  Q: My father tells me that he has a Lincoln penny that has four stars where the year would normally be. ...
  A: Denise, Thank you for your question. It would be interesting to know whether it is a Memorial Cent ...
coin values8/8/2011
  Q: I have searched allover and cannot find a value on these coins. It is a red book full of bronze ...
  A: Susan, Thank you for your question. We just finished cataloging for our upcoming Heritage Currency ...
Rhodesian notes7/12/2011
  Q: My parents in law emigrated from Zimbabwe to Perth Australia to live with my wife and myself 5 years ...
  A: Tom, At a quick glance, it does appear these notes have value. However, the notes are too small in ...
1914 Nach Paris Medallion7/10/2011
  Q: Kathy, I have this Medallion that is dated 1914 and "Nach Paris" a naked rider on horseback with a ...
  A: Donald, Thank you for your question. I'm sorry for the delay in my response. I put a vacation ...
please help me out...7/9/2011
  Q: I have a small copper coin. It is dated 1766. The description is as follows: within another circle ...
  A: Andrea, Thank you for your question. I am sorry for the delay in answering. Your question reached ...
Silver Certificate7/9/2011
  Q: I have some 1935 and 1957 Silver Certificates, circulated in Fair and Good condition. Is it worth my ...
  A: Barbara, I'm sorry it has taken me a few days to respond. We're busy cataloging for a large upcoming ...
old coins7/8/2011
  Q: I have a GEORGIVS II DEI GRATIA date (1746) on the back of the coin reads around the side ...
  A: Cruz- Thank you for your question. We're busy cataloging for an upcoming auction, so it's taking me ...
old one cents7/6/2011
  Q: it minted two faces . i want to know how much worth it . thanks ANSWER: Fares- Thank you for your ...
  A: Fares, The cents you have contain more copper than cents produced after 1982, so they are worth a ...
1965 East Caribbean $5.00 error7/6/2011
  Q: I have in my possession the above bill with two different serial numbers. The two numbers are: C6 ...
  A: Chester, Congratulations! Mismatched serial number errors are very collectible. The value is ...
"The American Victory Collection" coin and stamp collection7/5/2011
  Q: Are you familiar with who made these commemorative sets of coins and stamps; Each individually ...
  A: Keith, Thank you for your question. There have been numerous commemorative sets representing ...
2 coins6/30/2011
  Q: I have an 8RP 1889 MR 10D 20C republica mexicana silver coin What is its worth? On one side is ...
  A: Ed, Your coin from Mexico is likely worth a little bit above the price of an ounce of silver (it ...
Spain 17336/29/2011
  Q: I have this coin in a collection my grandpa left to me. The weight is 26.82gr. on my digital scale, ...
  A: Joshua, Thank you for your question. The eight reales piece you have has a Mexico City mintmark (the ...
1855 BLAKE ASSAYERS 20 DOLLAR CALIFORNIA GOLD COIN6/27/2011
  Q: I OWN ONE OF THESE COINS AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE GENERAL VALUE OF THESE PARTICULAR COINS ARE ...
  A: Roberta, I would be quite interested in learning more about what you have. Please email images of ...
1980 2 Dollar Bahama Coin Value6/25/2011
  Q: I have a 1980 two dollar coin from the Bahamas. It doesn't have any marks as far as where it was ...
  A: Since 1969, Bahamian coins are struck at the Royal Mint in England and the Franklin Mint in the ...
Is my quater rare? My quarter has an incorret D6/25/2011
  Q: I have a quarter with the dates 1776-1976, it also has the drummer boy on it. I was looking closely ...
  A: Teresa, Good eye! It does appear that the mintmark was not properly punched. The most well-known ...
Star Note6/25/2011
  Q: I have a 2006 $10 star note in crisp condition I recieved directly from the bank. It has no folds ...
  A: Dawn- Thank you for your question. At this point, it's not likely worth much more than face value, ...
pope john paul II coins6/24/2011
  Q: I have a set of coins to commemorate pope john paul II from 2006. There is one 26mm 6g fine gold ...
  A: Katie, Thank you for your question. Those types of materials have collector value, but not ...
greek coin6/24/2011
  Q: I hope you can help me to identify my coin, I have trawled through so many images online and failed ...
  A: Chris- Thank you for your question. I would need to seen an image of the other side of the coin to ...
one sided penny6/23/2011
  Q: what is the value British 1986 one sided penny please
  A: John- Thank you for your question. For the most part (with some exceptions) modern British error ...
netherland 1952 1G and 1947 1/4G6/22/2011
  Q: I would like to know if tease coins are silver? I also have a 5 cent square coin from Curacao but no ...
  A: Carlisle- Thanks for your question. The Curacao piece is copper-nickel and would be 1943 or 1948. ...
WWII German coin/token6/21/2011
  Q: First off, thank you for taking a moment to try and answer my question about a coin/token that I ...
  A: Frank, I checked with a friend of mine who has more familiarity with German material. He believes it ...
Paper DIX FRANCS6/21/2011
  Q: I have a Banque De Fance 1941 Dix Fancs. What is the value of that bill? The other numbers on the ...
  A: Edie- Thank you for your question. There are six varieties of 10 Francs notes issued from 1941-49. ...
1958p lincoln cent error6/20/2011
  Q: I want to know if my 1958P was a variety/error ...
  A: Darrick- There are a huge number of varieties for the Lincoln Cent series. It's hard to determine ...
Silver Certificate6/20/2011
  Q: I have a Series 1923 Silver Certificate $1. I know from my limited research that it may not be a, ...
  A: Kathy- It's great that you've done some research and you're right that it never hurts to check! ...
500$ bill issued in 18646/19/2011
  Q: I have this old 500$ bill marked " Two years after the ratification of peace between the Confederate ...
  A: Daniel, Thank you for your question and the image. Unfortunately it appears that you have a replica ...
Old coins, I dont know there worth.6/19/2011
  Q: I found some old coins while cleaning and would very much like to know there worth, if you can. They ...
  A: Karen- Thank you for your question and the good information you provided about the various coins. ...
1964 Kennedy half6/19/2011
  Q: I have a 1964P with the 2 accented hair variety items(broken ray by stars and no serif on the "G") ...
  A: Jorgen- I appreciate your question. I checked with an expert on Kennedy Half Dollars regarding the ...
Misprinted coins6/16/2011
  Q: How much do you think a misprinted penny and dime would be worth? They are around 1970 something and ...
  A: Kin- Thank you for your question. There are a lot of different factors that affect the value of ...
IOH.HEIN SCHNEIDER 18376/16/2011
  Q: I have this object that I haven't been able to find any information on. I don't even know what it ...
  A: Everything about it to me points to it being a button. Some of the buttons of that time period and ...
old $20 bills6/14/2011
  Q: I recently got $10,000 in 20's that were all from 1977 and earlier. There are several 1969 that are ...
  A: Jed- Thanks for the question. There are a few better districts in the various 1969 series for $20 ...
value of dollar round6/13/2011
  Q: I had a silver dollar with a picture of draped bust woman on front and .999 fine silver, one troy ...
  A: Linda- Thank you for your question. I'm not sure exactly what you had. Was there a date on it? Is ...
Old Korean Money6/12/2011
  Q: I received quite a few old brown and purple Korean bank notes when I was in Canada exchanging my ...
  A: Sommer- Thank you for your question. Based on the photo, the note appears to be a 1000 Won that is ...
FX6/11/2011
  Q: Please quote one 500 billion 1993 YUO note (5*10^18 YUN)/one 100 trillion 2008 ZWR note (10^27 ZWD) ...
  A: T- Thank you for your question. There are several currency converter websites, such as www.xe.com ...
german mark6/10/2011
  Q: It's in excellent condition. My grandfatehr got it when he was in worl war 2 but that is all the ...
  A: Valerie- Thank you for your question. Based on the scan, it appears you have a 50 Reichsmark dated ...
Value of an old indian coin6/7/2011
  Q: would like to know about the present selling cost of an old indian coin depicting a picture of ...
  A: Jags- The item you have is a brass Indian Temple Token. The side that appears to be a barter system ...
Series of 1934 C - $10.00 bill6/6/2011
  Q: I have one-ten dollar bill from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York "B". Washington D.C.,then ...
  A: Linda- Thank you for your inquiry. That note is a (Friedberg) Fr. 2008-B. Although it's always hard ...
$100.00 star w/low serial6/4/2011
  Q: I received this bill and wanted to get some advice on it's worth. It is a circulated series 1996 ...
  A: Larry- Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, for that series, a six digit serial number really ...
Foreign paper money6/3/2011
  Q: I was going through some old books and found a cinco pesetas dated 22 de Julio 1954 from Spain, a ...
  A: Sheryl- Thank you for your question. The catalog number for the note from Spain is Pick 146a and the ...
coin value and info6/2/2011
  Q: It is a 1793 On the back side a coat of arms with the words Replica Hispan Et Ind rex M 8R F M The ...
  A: Linda- Thanks for your inquiry. It sounds like you have a replica of an 8 Reales coin from Spain ...
Bicentennial coin collection of federal & state seals6/2/2011
  Q: I am interested in finding out more about a binder of "Bicentennial coin collection federal and ...
  A: Patty- Thank you for your question. There were countless Bicentennial sets of different types ...
Value5/31/2011
  Q: We have a 1875 .20ct piece. From what little, and I mean little we've read about this coin, they ...
  A: Doug- What a great coin to have! The value ranges significantly based on the level of circulation. ...
HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE silver coin5/25/2011
  Q: I have a sterling silver British coin an inch and a half in diameter. It has in "E" on the front ...
  A: Catherine- Thank you for your question. That does sound familiar to me. Is there a date on the coin ...
2004 nickel-printed backwards5/25/2011
  Q: I have found a 2004 Louisiana Purchase nickel where the back side of the coin is printed backwards. ...
  A: Laurie, Congratulations on your error coin! Error coins are of great interest to many collectors and ...
confederate $500 loan certificate5/24/2011
  Q: I have just come across 2 - Confederate States of America, $500 Loan certificates as I was cleaning ...
  A: Martha, Thank you for your question. Confederate Bonds are neat items and there has been additional ...
What are these coins and what is value?5/24/2011
  Q: Can you please tell me about these coins and if they are of any value? My father had them in this ...
  A: Darcy- Thank you for your inquiry. It would be helpful to see images of the other side of these two ...
coin values5/23/2011
  Q: first of all let me thank you in advance for your assistance. have a couple questions. were coins ...
  A: Quantities of coins would have been housed in cloth bank bags or piled into saddlebags, etc. I ...
waterloo and general service medals5/23/2011
  Q: I have a set of medals for John Downey, 32nd Reg. Foot. They are the Waterloo Medal, dated 1815 and ...
  A: Tim- Thank you for your question. Military service medals are a bit out of my area of expertise. ...
Confederate $5005/21/2011
  Q: I have a Confederate $500 bill 2/17/1864 No: 7033 with Jackson in bottom left. The bill is in ...
  A: Carl- Thank you for your inquiry. Based on the scan and information, your Confederate T64 appears to ...
copper coin5/19/2011
  Q: i found a copper coin with a right sides view.what i can read it is a president coin andrew jackson ...
  A: Ian- Thank you for your question. You have a fairly modern brass token that was part of a series of ...

All Questions in This Category

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Kathy Lawrence

Top Expert on this page