Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Questions Answered by Expert Steven T. Feltner

SubjectDate Asked
cleanig11/11/2012
  Q: how can I clean the crud and blue stuff off of cents?
  A: Ralph, A good rule of thumb is to NEVER clean coins unless there is something on it that is ...
1857 3-dollar gold coin11/8/2012
  Q: I'm trying to determine the value of a 3-dollar coin from 1857, gold, with an image of a woman, I ...
  A: Mary, It is difficult to determine the condition of the coin based on the photos provided. ...
1983-D10/31/2012
  Q: Steven, Good Wednesday afternoon, I have a 1983-D Lincoln cent that appears to be a steel coin. ...
  A: Steven, There are a lot of instances that I have seen where someone will plate a coin in order to ...
Indian Cents10/24/2012
  Q: I am trying to figure out why some of my 1860/1862/ and 1863 pennies thick and some thin? Did they ...
  A: Brad, All small cents through 1863 are going to be copper nickel and struck on a thick planchet. ...
1982d penney10/24/2012
  Q: i have a 1982d lincoln head penny....on the front it has a lantern to the left of lincolns head and ...
  A: Unfortunately the chances are 0. The US mint did not make any design change on the penny from ...
1928 c10/15/2012
  Q: I have a 1928 c 5.00 red seal bill. It has a red star on left followed by 06994904A, it also has the ...
  A: Heather, Generally these are quite common and only worth a little over the face value. However, ...
1988 US Quarter10/13/2012
  Q: I have a quarter from 1988 that's edges are completely smooth and much taller than the inside of the ...
  A: It looks like someone was in the process of "tapping" or "spooning" this coin and didn't finish. ...
1991 roosevelt dime7/17/2012
  Q: I found a 1991 Roosevelt P mint dime on the back of the dime epluirubus unum is misspelled. On one ...
  A: Nettie, I would probably need to see a picture of the coin in question to be able to help. It is ...
Calif Gold Proof Sets7/9/2012
  Q: I have looked all over the internet and cannot find any information on the calif proof gold sets ...
  A: Morice, I am not familiar with the sets. Many states will have sets like this produced and sold to ...
Question about a dime7/6/2012
  Q: Good Afternoon, I have a Roosevelt dime that appears to be minted in the 2000's, however, there is ...
  A: Darrell, My best guess is that this is what is known as a "struck through" error. What may have ...
Missing 46/29/2012
  Q: I have a 2004 penny which is missing the 4. You can barely see the outline of the 4 but only if you ...
  A: Francis, My best guess is that this is what is known as a "struck through" error. What may have ...
1948s wheat penny only stamped on front6/23/2012
  Q: I have a 1948s wheat penny that was only stamped with Lincolns face on the front. There aren't any ...
  A: Jacquelyn, I have not heard of this happening before. My first thought is that the reverse of the ...
Lincoln cent6/18/2012
  Q: Hey, What's that on the picture and is it valuable?
  A: Kenny, This seems to be what is known as a "clashed die." Sometimes the dies will strike each ...
1995 D dime6/16/2012
  Q: I have a dime that appears normal on the front with date of 1995D. This dime seems to be thinner ...
  A: Lorraine, This does not sound like a legitimate error coin. More than likely it was placed on a ...
yellowish colored penny6/16/2012
  Q: I have a 1985 yellowish colored penny with no mint (D or P) on it and was wondering why is it not ...
  A: Kay, As to the color, there are many possibilities. I couldn't explain that issue without first ...
1958 DDO6/11/2012
  Q: I found a 1958 Penny that shows DDO qualities. Whats your advise,Sir? Is this a DDO? The Date shows ...
  A: Mirza, There is a type of 1958 cent that is a recognized double die, unfortunately however, yours ...
1953 us penny drawn to a magnet6/8/2012
  Q: While recently separating a lot of 1943 steel pennies from amongst 1000's of bulk copper pennies ...
  A: Steven, I have not heard of any 53 coppers having a steel core. I would suggest taking the coin ...
1981 Quarter Error6/4/2012
  Q: I am fairly new to collecting coins, and have a question regarding a 1981 D Quarter. The "D" mint ...
  A: Melissa, I have done some research and I do not see anything like this documented. Now you say ...
Misprinted Roosevelt Dime.5/31/2012
  Q: Feltner- I found this unusual Roosevelt dime the other day. I'm not certain if it was a misprint or ...
  A: Stephen, Unfortunately it is pretty difficult to tell what is going on with the coin from the ...
Louis XVI coin5/21/2012
  Q: I read the answer you previously gave on this coin. My coin is similar, but the date 1792 is ...
  A: I would be more than happy to help you with your coin question. The only problem is I'm not quite ...
2001 Vermont Copper Quarter5/19/2012
  Q: I work at a bank and recently received a 2001 Vermont State Quarter that is all copper (no ...
  A: Lori, It very well could be missing the nickel clad layer. There is also an acid process that some ...
Old dime5/15/2012
  Q: I would like to find out some information and maybe how much it is worth if at all possible.This is ...
  A: Cheri, To help you out I need to know when the coin was minted and also where. The date is on the ...
1942s5/10/2012
  Q: found a 1942s with what looks like a closed s where the s should be open it is closed. error? ...
  A: Rick, After consulting "The Cherrypicker's Guide" and also some of my colleagues, it does not ...
1907 Indian Head Penny5/10/2012
  Q: In my fathers estate I was left some coins. I would like an evaluation on one coin in particular, a ...
  A: Jean, These are actually one of my personal favorite types of coins. I collected quite a few of ...
2000 penny with Ohio State Stamp5/2/2012
  Q: I recently came across a 2000 penny with the State of Ohio stamped directly above the date; It says ...
  A: Max, This is a penny that has been altered outside of the mint. I have seen many of these before. ...
Double stamp4/30/2012
  Q: I have a 2002 nickle that has been stamped with a penny on both sides. The coin seems to be in good ...
  A: Jack, This is an item that would have to be authenticated by a professional first. Unfortunately ...
1923 One Dollar Coin+4/27/2012
  Q: I've been collecting coins since i was 3, and now i am 19 now. I've gone through my coins and found ...
  A: Davis, I cannot tell you what you should do with the coins, however I can help with values. 1923 ...
1899 coin4/22/2012
  Q: why does the value of a good 1899 cent is 7 dollars on one site,495 dollars on an other site,n 500 ...
  A: Freddie, Unfortunately on the internet you will find many sites with incorrect prices. I would ...
old twenty dollar bill4/20/2012
  Q: i have and old twenty dollar bill that was made in 1934 that is in very good condition and i was ...
  A: Alicia, Unfortunately most of the 20 dollar bills in that era are quite common and therefore worth ...
1982 Plain Double Strike4/4/2012
  Q: I have what appears to be a 1982 Plain Lincoln Cent that is double strike on the obverse. It is of ...
  A: Mike, Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I have been on vacation with my family, therefore, ...
a penny with no D under its date4/2/2012
  Q: I have come across a 1991 penny that has no D under its date and dose not look like it has been ...
  A: Cody, Unfortunately this is just a common penny. The "D" is what is referred to as a Mint Mark. ...
Strange penny3/24/2012
  Q: While I was using a machine to roll coins, a strange penny fell into the coin wrapper. It is the ...
  A: Kimberly, Good question. I don't know 100% but I will give you my opinion. I know for certain ...
Mint sets vs. individual coins - values3/24/2012
  Q: Steven: I have recently become interested in collecting coins. Being a Canadian, I am starting ...
  A: Jamie, It seems that you have caught on quickly. Yes, often times you can purchase full sets for ...
penny question3/24/2012
  Q: I found a penny ( in my pocket I thought that was kind of funny) that is completely blank on both ...
  A: Carrie, Yes, this is worth holding on to. It sounds like you have an "off-center struck" penny. ...
2001-1997 nickel3/22/2012
  Q: I recently found a nickel that is stamped with the heads side from 2001 and the other side is ...
  A: Kasey, This commonly referred to as a "magic coin". It is a novelty piece made by splitting and ...
1970s3/19/2012
  Q: there's the regular size date that is on all pennies, so on the 1970s penny is there any with a ...
  A: Teresa, No, there is only the large and small date for the 1970 pennies. The best way to detect it ...
penny3/16/2012
  Q: I had opened a new roll of pennies the other day and one of them had no print on then what so ...
  A: Lynette, This is what is known as a blank planchet, or an unstruck blank. They are more common in ...
Weird Arkansas Penny3/12/2012
  Q: I have an Arkansas penny with an outline of the state and an AR within the outline of the state. ...
  A: Jennifer, I have seen many coins like this in my years of collecting and dealing. All of these are ...
2002 Penny3/11/2012
  Q: I found a 2002 penny which has a marking above the date. It kind of looks like a can or kite with a ...
  A: Judy, I have seen many coins like this in my years of collecting and dealing. All of these are ...
Error Wheat Penny3/9/2012
  Q: I have a 1952-S Wheat penny. The 5 is stamped over a 1, and the 2 is slightly off set. I am writing ...
  A: Brannon, This is a very interesting coin. I have done some preliminary research and have not found ...
1 dollar bill mint error3/7/2012
  Q: I was checking my collection lately and found 1 dollar bill 2009 that was printed with error. I am ...
  A: Gregory, The only thing I noticed is that the edge is thicker at the bottom than at the top. This ...
Gen. Robert E Lee coin2/29/2012
  Q: I have a General Robert E. Lee confederate states of America half dollar commemorative coin. I would ...
  A: Larry, I have shown the guys around the office, and we are not entirely sure what it is. I can ...
1996 D Jefferson Nickel2/27/2012
  Q: I recently came across an odd nickel. I can't seem to get a good picture of it, but I will describe ...
  A: Jessie, I have read through your question a few times and I am still having a hard time picturing ...
DDO and DDR2/26/2012
  Q: In all Lincoln cents lists from the beginning until today, regular strikes mint state, I do not find ...
  A: Kalin, You are right, there are several years without a known DDO or DDR. This does not ...
1776-1976 Quarter2/21/2012
  Q: 1776-1976 Quarter, which I have several of these, however; I have one that has a bubble on each side ...
  A: Robert, Is the "bubble" in the same place on each coin? If so, it may be a break in the die that ...
Frank Gasparro design on reverse of bicentennial kennedy2/19/2012
  Q: I have a kennedy 50 cent coin with the 1976-1996 bicentennial front, but the traditional Frank ...
  A: Tom, I have never heard of this being the case. The only thing that I can imagine is that someone ...
1990 penny2/11/2012
  Q: There is this silver ring around the penny not normal. And I'm not sure why it is there but it's not ...
  A: Jon, I would need to see a picture to understand completely. I am not aware, however, of any mint ...
coins and bill2/8/2012
  Q: I HAVE A 5 DOLLAR BILL THAT HAS RED INK ON IT IS IT WORTH ANYTHING? I ALSO HAVE A 1890 SILVER DOLLAR ...
  A: Nancy, The only item in the group that would have a significant value over just the face value is ...
2009 US Cent /reverse has unfinished Capitol Bldg.2/3/2012
  Q: I was going through my 2009 US Cent Collection tonight and found what I believe to be an oddity. I ...
  A: George, Yes, this is the fourth and final cent in that series. They are listed as follows: ...
1987 silver penny1/29/2012
  Q: I have read about a few inquiries about other 1987 silver pennies and have found one of my own. It ...
  A: Gianna, Most of the time this will occur when someone "plates" the penny with a silver metal. The ...
1984 Jefferson Nickel Abnormality1/28/2012
  Q: I have a Jefferson Nickel from 1984 with what appears to be a blemish of excess metal on the "tails" ...
  A: Molly, Cool coin!!! The picture is a little blurry, but with my imagination I believe it is a ...
OLD AMERICAN COIN1/26/2012
  Q: Respected Sir, I have an old American coin. It Says LIBERTY on the top with a female face in the ...
  A: Harun, There are nearly 10 different coins made in that date that have the same basic design. To ...
Thin dime1/25/2012
  Q: I am wondering if you know of the mint mistakenly making very thin dimes. When I was a child in the ...
  A: Amy, I am not aware of a thin batch, but it is possible. I would need a photo and a weight in ...
north carolina quarter defect1/22/2012
  Q: I have a north carolina quarter 2001, that is missing the stool from in front of the person ...
  A: Mike, It has been my experience over the years that usually only the mint errors on the statehood ...
3-coin Bicentennial set1/17/2012
  Q: i do have the above mentioned coin, but the problem here is i am not sure that my coin is 40% ...
  A: Haffis, The best way to determine if a coin is silver is to look at the edge of the coin. If it ...
error coin1/14/2012
  Q: I have a 1952 silver Roosevelt dime (no mint mark) that has an error on the reverse side. The olive ...
  A: Avis, Unfortunately minor changes in design or dies, (called varieties), are not one of my strong ...
1890 indian head1/13/2012
  Q: i have an 1890 indian head, which is in XF condition. i purchased the coin in a large lot and was ...
  A: Susan, The event that one side of a coin would be left un-struck is highly unlikely. All of the ...
Silver penny1/12/2012
  Q: I've been cleaning out my father's estate and came across a collection of older coins (mostly ...
  A: Jeff, Yes, it does look like somebody has "monkeyed" with this coin. I see no key indicators that ...
2003 penny with a ","stamped1/11/2012
  Q: I found a 2003 penny with a "," stamped between the S and the T in the word TRUST. It is not a ...
  A: Thomas, This one has got me stumped and that doesn't happen very often :) The only time something ...
old coin1/10/2012
  Q: I have a 1776 contential currency coin ....it has only one r in the word currency and the words hong ...
  A: Andrea, I can tell you from well over a decade of experience that this is a counterfeit coin. I ...
weird penny1/8/2012
  Q: i found this weird penny the other day its a 1974 and appears normal except in one area,right after ...
  A: From the depression on the reverse I would assume that this was caused post strike. I have not ...
2005 nickel1/4/2012
  Q: My 2005 buffalo nickel is unusual- in my opinion. for most coins if you are looking at the head ...
  A: This sounds like what is known as a "rotated reverse" error. This is not commonly found. I would ...
copper colored 1989 D quarter1/3/2012
  Q: ..I found this 1989 D quarter that is copper colored on both sides.The weight is the same as any ...
  A: There is a slight possibility that this could be a genuine coin that is missing the clad layer of ...
1983 copper cent11/27/2011
  Q: I have always had a fascination for pennies and came across 1983 copper (3.1 weight) along with a ...
  A: Robin, The best way to certify your coins is by sending them to a third party grading service. The ...
David Brenners Original Design of US Penny Question?11/9/2011
  Q: I have a very specific Question.It does not require pic.David Brenners Original Design of the US ...
  A: Mirza, This is a great question and I'll do my best to help. Any type of coin that was a trial ...
Texas quarter11/8/2011
  Q: I have a question about a 2004 Texas state quarter I looks to be silver no copper on edge of coin . ...
  A: Joshua, This is interesting. The only way I can think of this being legitimate is if it was minted ...
Coin11/6/2011
  Q: So I was at a concert last night and i found by my feet what i would consider a coin, but i am not ...
  A: John, From the sound of it this would not be a coin but would fall under the distinction of a ...
quarter10/27/2011
  Q: I opened a roll of brand new quarters and there was a blank one is it worth anything?
  A: Alicia, Cool find! Unfortunately smaller denomination coins, ie. cents, nickels, dimes and ...
advice on a defected dime10/25/2011
  Q: i have a 1985 dime that has 85 stamped across the head of the dime..it looks like the machine ...
  A: Paula, I have never heard of just a few digits of the date being struck in a different place on a ...
a 2009 shiny siver colored penny?10/23/2011
  Q: It was in a roll of pennies from the bank. At first I thouht it was a dime. Then I thought that ...
  A: Becky, The pennies that are made today consist of zinc with a very small amount of copper for a ...
Penny10/16/2011
  Q: I found a 1981 penny that looks like they never put any copper on it. It is a perfect penny but ...
  A: Mark, The first thing I would do in assessing your coin is to weigh it. ALL pennies in 1981 were ...
commemorative paper10/14/2011
  Q: i have a paper bill that looks like a regular bill on one side and on the other side is printed: In ...
  A: Marcellus, I can tell you with almost certain surety that this bill is a counterfeit copy. I have ...
wheat penny10/13/2011
  Q: i have a 1955 wheat penny that has no d or s. what does that mean an what is it worth?
  A: Shawna, This means that it was made at the Philadelphia mint. Since Philadelphia is the main mint, ...
Dime 196710/10/2011
  Q: I am sending you a picture of 1967 Dime. What is your expert opinion about the coin? Have you seen ...
  A: Kalin, Yes I have seen this type of thing happen before. What you have is a dime with what is ...
U.S dollar10/6/2011
  Q: sir, can you please give the description of one u.s dollar? from front to back.
  A: Alexander, I would first need to know what type of U.S. dollar you are wanting a description of. ...
value standing liberty dollar10/4/2011
  Q: I have a standing liberty dollar in a blue velvet case(from mint?) There is a presidential ...
  A: Rich, Yes, this is a United States issued commemorative coin. These were made only in 1986 and are ...
Die Crack on 1953 Franklin9/29/2011
  Q: I'm a coin collector and can't seem to find this variety anywhere. I have a 1953-P Franklin with a ...
  A: Sal, No, I am not aware of this being a substantial variety. However, I will look in the ...
1984 LA Olympics9/29/2011
  Q: The coin seems to be silver the size of a silver dollar coin. On the front side is five people ...
  A: Jen, This is a not consistent with the commemorative dollars that were made for the Olympic Games. ...
2006 penny oddity9/28/2011
  Q: .I have a 2006 cent that is boggling me. It features the lincoln memorial over the lincoln bust on ...
  A: Dave, This is kind of odd isn't it :) It would make sense that the building would be raised ...
$1.00 Value9/26/2011
  Q: I have a $1.00 paper bill Silver Certificate (Ithink at one time the seal was blue) Series of 1928 A ...
  A: Patsy, I would try an actual brick-and-mortar coin shop. They usually have a better idea of value ...
value of 1874 $1 bill9/22/2011
  Q: I have an extensive coin and paper money collection handed down many years, among this collection ...
  A: Dickie, The $1 notes from 1874 are actually quite common and readily attainable. It is hard to ...
Army & Navy Whet Penney9/18/2011
  Q: Can you tell me more about this penney?
  A: Lisa, It sounds like you have what is known as a "Civil War Token." During the war, many merchants ...
pennydime misfire9/16/2011
  Q: I have a dime which on one side is a penny, is it worth anything? Thank you!
  A: Lisa, More than likely this is a "trick coin" where someone will take two coins, mill them both ...
nickel error9/15/2011
  Q: Feltner, I have a 1987 nickel that is complete on both sides but is about the same thickness as a ...
  A: Kirk, I have seen this type of coin before. What has happened, (according to what I have been told ...
csa half dollar9/14/2011
  Q: i have an 1861 csa half dollar which looks like it was struck with the (scott die)in 1879.it looks ...
  A: Michael, It seems that you are already familiar with the CSA coins that were struck so I won't ...
where to sell coin9/12/2011
  Q: I have a 1911D 2.5 dollar coin authenticated as EF 40 through ANACS. Where do you recommend the best ...
  A: Sean, Thanks for the question. There are a few options that you have in selling your coin. The ...
penny without a date on it9/10/2011
  Q: I found a penny without a date on it,is it worth anything. ANSWER: Lou, Is it missing the date ...
  A: Lou, This is pretty interesting. There are only a few options that I can think of with this coin. ...
.999 one troy ounce9/9/2011
  Q: My Grandfather gave me a coin when I was younger and just keep up with it. My wife sugested I get it ...
  A: Maceo, This is what is known as a silver round. It is one of the most common ways to purchase ...
misprint penny9/6/2011
  Q: I have a penny that is totally blank except for a bump on the side . you can read most of the word ...
  A: Martha, It sounds like what you are describing is an "off-center strike." Generally speaking these ...
1862 Confederate Half Dollar9/5/2011
  Q: I found a coin in my Mother-in-law's attic the other day that I'd like to have looked at. Before I ...
  A: Eddie, Yes, this is just a fantasy piece that someone had struck. An original confederate half ...
Penny No Face No Back9/3/2011
  Q: I have what appears to be a penny with no front or back, it's just smooth on both sides. It is a bit ...
  A: Peggy, Yes, this is a blank penny that was able to escape the mint without being struck! They were ...
1942 Wheat Penny Error9/3/2011
  Q: I found a 1942 Wheat Penny and there is no "1" in the date. I have had several people look at it and ...
  A: Chad, Yes, I have seen quite a few of these over the years. Most of the ones I have seen were the ...
Coins that were handed down9/2/2011
  Q: .i want someone to take a look at them and tell me what they think.. there are no coin dealers ...
  A: ..from what I see in the picture there are no coins of huge value. The quarter and the dime are ...
miscut8/8/2011
  Q: Sir, i just got a 2003 one dollar bill that has no border on the top but a double border on the ...
  A: Bob, Sounds like you found an interesting note! This is more than likely an error known as a ...
1982 D penny8/4/2011
  Q: I have several 1982D pennies, weight 3.1 gms with small date(8 is rounded and top O is round and ...
  A: Thomas, That is very interesting. I am of course only aware of the 1982 Philadelphia large and ...
1925 double eagle gold coin8/3/2011
  Q: I have a 1925 20 dollar gold piece, without a mint mark which I am told means it was minted in ...
  A: Boyd, Yes, it will generally go for a little bit more than the spot price of gold, depending on the ...
Peace silver dollars8/2/2011
  Q: We have two peace dollar coins 1. 1922 2. 1928 My question, in the research I have done it talks ...
  A: Giusti, A key date refers to the coin in the series that is generally the most expensive or hardest ...
Civil war token8/2/2011
  Q: I have a token? that is dated 1863 and on one side says "the flag of our union" and has a flag on ...
  A: Larry, What you have is a cool piece of Civil War history! These coins generally fall under the ...
copper cent/token7/29/2011
  Q: I have from my great great grandfather a large coin or token looks to be copper with large USA on ...
  A: John, If original, you have a way cool piece of Americana! These are known as "Bar Coppers" and ...
quarter dollar7/29/2011
  Q: I have a silver quarter dollar with an eagle in flight to the right on one side and a lady holding a ...
  A: Sanya, What you have is a Standing Liberty Quarter. They started minting these in 1916 and ended ...
lincoln cent7/27/2011
  Q: I have a penny that has obviously been defaced,liberty has been scratched out and the date has a ...
  A: Travis, This is pretty interesting. I do know that there is no way that it could be a 1929 with a ...
double sided half dollar7/26/2011
  Q: I have this double sided half dollar, with tails on both sides, it seems to be from 1964 like the ...
  A: Kevin, It is my experience with any "two heads" or "two tails" coins is that they are not genuine. ...
1934 - 100 Dollar Bill7/25/2011
  Q: I Just located a 100 dollar bill among other bills (1960, 1977, 1980...). Scanned picture attached. ...
  A: Ricardo, Thanks for the question... This date of $100 bill is quite common still. If I had this ...
double headed quarter7/24/2011
  Q: MY father was given a double headed quarter that has the same dates on both sides marked 1993 D i ...
  A: Eric, It is my experience with any "two heads" or "two tails" coins is that they are not genuine. ...
1999 Quarter with raised copper band7/24/2011
  Q: I have a 1999 quarter that has a copper band that is bigger than the quarter itself. The quarter is ...
  A: I would then think that the edge was added to the coin, sort of like a bezel. If it was struck at ...
misprint 50 dollar bill7/22/2011
  Q: i have a 2001 50 dollar bill that has a 5 on the right side of grants face and a 7 on the left side. ...
  A: Marty, I would have thought the same thing, that they were stamped on. But if the small "USA 50" ...
value of anna7/21/2011
  Q: what is the value of one quater anna india "1918" ?
  A: Subhan, Thanks for the question! I have done a little bit of research and have found that over ...
1983 penny7/20/2011
  Q: I found a 1983 penny with no mint mark. Is it unusual? Worth anything?
  A: Elizabeth, Your penny doesn't have a mint mark because it was made in Philadelphia. Philadelphia ...
selling coins7/19/2011
  Q: My question refers to whether I should sell my silver coins I have. I have several silver dollar ...
  A: Ronn, With the price of gold and silver up many people have begun buying gold and silver for ...
Catalog Websites7/19/2011
  Q: What reputable catalog websites can you recommend for gold coins? I plan to save enough money to ...
  A: Sean, At my coin shop I am always asked what I think of gold and silver prices, and all I can ever ...
Ink run on US 100 dollar bill7/19/2011
  Q: I have a 1996 one hundred dollar bill that appears to have an ink smear from the right eye to the ...
  A: Tracy, Sounds like you found a cool note! Yes, I would say that it is worth more than face value ...
the worth of Republic of Liberia cions today7/16/2011
  Q: I was sent a folderlike book with 44 presidents in $5 coins in each hard plastic holders, in ...
  A: Boyd, Thanks for the question... Unfortunately, the coins are not worth a lot of money, even for a ...
Seated Libert coin with out date and no stars7/14/2011
  Q: I have a Liberty coin, silver dollar, it has lady liberty seated on one side with a flag in left ...
  A: Michael, What you have here is what is commonly referred to as a "silver round." This is 1 ounce ...
Continental Currency7/14/2011
  Q: I used to be an expert on this site but not in your field. My job has me traveling so much I had to ...
  A: Rick, One thing I have found in all my years in coin collecting is that anything is possible. I ...
1973 mis stamped quarter7/14/2011
  Q: I have a 1973 quarter that appears to be copper on the back. Is this a rare coin?
  A: Scott, There is a chance that you could have a cool error coin. The first thing you would want to ...
1999 double die quarter both sides7/12/2011
  Q: I recently found a 1999 quarter which shows doubling on both sides it has very strong doubling and ...
  A: Keith, Unfortunately varieties are not my strong suit. I know that there are tons of collectors ...
1982 Lincoln penny7/11/2011
  Q: How do you tell copper from clad zinc pennies without cutting them in 1/2? #2- how are large and ...
  A: Thomas, Great question!!! The only way to tell the difference is to weigh them. To do this you ...
1824 American Dime Bust7/10/2011
  Q: I have come across a very old coin that was in a jar give to me. I have done some research but ...
  A: Logan, Thanks for the question... From what I can tell, this is a relatively common coin. I can ...
1998-1999-p/d lincoln pennys7/10/2011
  Q: I have one for sell on e bay if you would like to see one it is listed on page one as a 1999-p error ...
  A: Steven, Thanks for the question... Sounds to me like one of two things. Either it was struck ...
1982 & 1981 penny7/9/2011
  Q: I found four pennies in my spare change jar, two are dated 1981, and the other two are dated 1982. ...
  A: Michele, Great question! To know why some coins have mint marks and others don't you have to go ...
penny7/5/2011
  Q: I have a 1983 penny that is very lite and looks like a different color than the copper pennies that ...
  A: Martha, Thank you for your question... The cent that you have described doesn't sound like ...
Collector Value vs Spot Price6/30/2011
  Q: Regarding silver, I was wondering whether a collector's edition type of coin or a silver bullion ...
  A: Sean, Thank you for your question... It truly depends on what your intentions are with the silver. ...
ebgraved pennies6/28/2011
  Q: I went to the bank and found a shined up penny with the state of New Jersey engraved on it. I saw on ...
  A: Kyle, Thank you for the question. Yes, I believe that there have been a few companies who have ...
1993 penny misstrike6/27/2011
  Q: My fiance has a 1993 penny that was very obviously misstruck. It is a 1993 Lincoln penny with a D ...
  A: Vanessa, Thank you for the question. It seems to me that what you may have is an error caused by ...
quarter miss minted?6/26/2011
  Q: I have a quarter that on the front is normal but the back is strange. It looks like pressed out ...
  A: John, Thank you for the question. One of the things I like to do with an error coin is first ...
NEED TO KNOW6/25/2011
  Q: 00 bills-1995@1953-A THIS ONE HAVE SERIAL NUMBER WTITTEN IN RED-I have about 25 quarters range ...
  A: Gloria, Thank you for the question. I will try to value the coins for you in order that you ...
error coinage6/23/2011
  Q: I found a Indian head penny from 1907, and I looked at it with my magnifying glass, and I noticed ...
  A: Codey, Thank you for your question. I have done a bit of research on this particular topic and ...
1980D penny6/20/2011
  Q: I have a 1980D penny with a complete blank back. Have you seen or have you heard of any of these ...
  A: Jim, Thank you for your question. I'll try to help as best I can. As far as the actual coin goes, ...
Old coins, I dont know there worth.6/19/2011
  Q: I found some american coins, somewhat old. I was wondering if you could help me figure out there ...
  A: Karen, Thank you for your question. All of these coins are quite common and are ones that we would ...
doolar coins6/14/2011
  Q: So i have about 8-10 dollar coins that are missing In God we trust and E- Pluribus Unum. I have an ...
  A: Nancy, Thank you for the question. As far as the Presidential and Sacagawea dollars that are ...
Coin found6/13/2011
  Q: I found this coin, It is in bad shape as you can see and weights around 0.6 oz and not attracted to ...
  A: Pierre, Thank you for your question. Ill try to help as much as possible. What it looks like you ...
1861 Half Dollar6/7/2011
  Q: Greetings Ive been doing research on a coin I recently came accross in Georgia. Its an 1861 Half ...
  A: ..I will try to help you as best I can. The restrikes of the Confederate half-dollar have long been ...
silver italian coin6/2/2011
  Q: I was given a silver Italian coin years ago and I'm curious to know what it's worth. I would really ...
  A: Bea, Thank you for your question. Unfortunately I am not the expert to ask about foreign coins. I ...
help6/1/2011
  Q: i have a one sided quarter the stamped side has the head in the middle with the words from the back ...
  A: Tim, Thank you for your question. I will try to help as best I can... My initial thoughts are ...

All Questions in This Category

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Steven T. Feltner

Top Expert on this page