Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Questions Answered by Expert David McConaghy

SubjectDate Asked
uniface coin3/3/2017
  Q: I am from Trinidad and Tobago in the West Indies. I recently found a uniface 2016 T@T 10 cent coin. ...
  A: This coin looks like it was struck with some foreign material on one side. This means that when the ...
1968 Rosevelt Dime no mint1/29/2017
  Q: I have a 1968 Rosevelt dime it does not have a mint mark, and the word we is a little smashed and is ...
  A: All of the 1968 dimes made for circulation had no mint mark. The proof set was made with an S for ...
1968 no "s" Roosevelt dime1/26/2017
  Q: I'm hoping you could tell me more about this US Dime and if its worth or value at anything
strange penny12/7/2016
  Q: I have a 1965 lincoln penny it has a hole in the center approximately 1\4 inch in diameter the hole ...
  A: What you have is an altered coin - this was not done at the mint. We can guess that the person who ...
Foreign coin10/21/2016
  Q: Could u tell me if you think this atocha coin might be counterfeit and if not what it's value would ...
  A: In my opinion this is a replica coin. The patina appears to be too shiny and it has no salt water ...
About a 1943 quarter10/20/2016
  Q: Found this 1943 quarter s mint it has in handwriting the name frank and Jr also around Washington's ...
  A: When a coin has this type of writing we call it graffiti - this was done to coins on a regular basis ...
One Canadian cent10/10/2016
  Q: Sorry David, I sent an email without an images. Please clarify for me if this cent has a value. ...
  A: I believe that Canada stopped making pennies in 2012 but you should ask someone who lives there. ...
2005 buffalo quarter9/17/2016
  Q: I have a 2005 Kansas Buffalo quarter. The images are upside down from each other. What value if I ...
  A: It sounds like you are talking about the orientation of the images on the front and back relative to ...
what is it worth?8/21/2016
  Q: Can you tell me what this is? Looks like a morgan dollar but no date and has a pic. Of scales on the ...
  A: Its difficult to give you a specific price without seeing the back of this coin. It looks like a ...
Coins7/29/2016
  Q: I have two coins that I would like more information on, please. The first is the 1999 Pennsylvania ...
  A: It sounds like you have coins there worth 30 cents. Coins can be aligned in two ways. The two ways ...
I got a penny the is different from the others7/8/2016
  Q: I got this penny and the unusual thing about it it's the it's a little more bigger than others and ...
  A: This is an interesting find. First we would need to determine the weight so we can see if it could ...
1939 Canadian dollar coin6/7/2016
  Q: I have two very fine 1939 dollar coins. One has three dots after the word dollar. Magnified shows ...
  A: There is no mention of this type of error in any of the price guides or auction listings. From the ...
foreign currency5/30/2016
  Q: Like many other guys who served in WWII my dad collected currency as souvenirs. He was stationed in ...
  A: We get a lot like this just about everyday. It was common to collect notes from all the countries ...
1938 gold coin5/26/2016
  Q: i have a 1938 gold coin expropiacion petrolera coin how much is it worth? ...
  A: This is a token or a medallion. There is no monetary value or country of origin on it so we can rule ...
Canadian Currency 1954 (modified)5/23/2016
  Q: We have 4 Canadian bank notes with the issue date of 1954. None have the devil's face in the hair, ...
  A: In the condition that you have them they are worth more than their face value. They sell on eBay for ...
1988p 2 head copper nickel5/20/2016
  Q: I inquired a couple of days ago about this, why copper and without Hollow sound. answer was "I ...
  A: Please note that I am not the person who replied to your last question - I would never have given ...
odd penny4/30/2016
  Q: I found a penny where the top half is mostly there the bottom is blank, and the flip side the top is ...
  A: Its difficult to get you a specific answer without seeing a photo of the coin but here is what I ...
1991 dime missing "us" in pluribus4/28/2016
  Q: I have a 1991 dime missing the "us" in pluribus. The first U in unum is barely noticeable. It looks ...
  A: Its difficult to give you a specific answer without seeing this coin. It sounds like you have a ...
Misprint 5$ bill4/24/2016
  Q: I have a 1974 series 5$ bill with a misprint on back bottom left corner and I'm wondering if it is ...
  A: While this is a minor error it does add to the value of the note. I would expect an error of this ...
Large quarter4/16/2016
  Q: I purchased a large quarter (about 5oz) I believe around 1999-2006. I sold it around 2007-2008. I've ...
  A: I have had these in my store before. They were bullion products and not made by the US Mint. There ...
JSO coin4/12/2016
  Q: I was once on here years ago, for the same question about The JSO coin I have. WE just about confirm ...
  A: Carl, This is a very easy one. The coin is a replica. The R on it tells you that it was made ...
1997 D Penny Blank on Tails Side3/14/2016
  Q: I got this penny in change one day and my question is did they misprint the 1997 D Penny to where it ...
  A: I would love to answer this coin but I am at a disadvantage when I can not see the coin. If what you ...
??Dime struck on copper planchette??3/10/2016
  Q: Had this coin for about 25 years. Dime sized on a copper planchette? Can you identify something like ...
  A: This is a very intriguing coin. If the weight is close to 3 grams it is good evidence that it could ...
mis struck one pound 2006 coin3/10/2016
  Q: i have a 2006 mis struck coin .the royal mint say it is genuine.and advised me to contact collectors ...
  A: Since the Royal Mint has confirmed the error you can send it to PCGS or NGC to have it encapsulated ...
1975 dime2/6/2016
  Q: I have checked it their is no s on it it's a little rough looking but you can still see ...
  A: In 1975 the business struck dimes produced at the Philadelphia mint did not have a mint mark. If ...
Coin? Token?2/5/2016
  Q: Can you identify this? Thanks, Keith Droste
  A: This is one of my favorite coins! What you have there is a prototype coin. "They were a suggested ...
Mexico 1906 50 centavo coin1/22/2016
  Q: Could you help me identify the difference between the "open" and "closed" 9 varieties in the Mexican ...
  A: The best I can do here is refer you to a site that will show you examples. This link will show you ...
1950 20 Francs1/15/2016
  Q: I have a 1950 20 Francs coin. On the front it has a lady's head with a name Rebublique ...
  A: This is a very common coin - back when France used Francs this was worth about 3 cents. They now use ...
Info on Coin1/13/2016
  Q: Good Day David, My mother has this coin since way back and she is asking me if I could get some info ...
  A: It looks like you have an 8 Real Spanish Silver Coin. It is badly worn so I can not make a positive ...
Coin value and date1/11/2016
  Q: Can you help me with information about this coin. It was found near an old railroad bed.
  A: It looks like you have a Chinese Cash coin. They are highly counterfeited but the good news is that ...
Silver Rider (Ducaton) real, fake or replica1/5/2016
  Q: I came across a Silver Rider (Ducaton) of 1775, but I'm not sure if its real or a replica. Can one ...
  A: It is difficult to determine if this coin is genuine from just photos. If you compare yours to ...
coin colored1/2/2016
  Q: I have a 2014 liberty nickel painted bronze goldish colored in front and parshaly in back in rub it ...
  A: The finish on your coin did not come from the mint - this was done after by someone with some free ...
mexican coin12/21/2015
  Q: I have a coin from Mexico. It has on one side unidos mexicanos and what looks like a dragon with a ...
  A: This is in fact a 1992 - what you have is known as a die cud where a small piece of metal gets into ...
absolutely no idea on this "coin"12/6/2015
  Q: Hi dug this while detecting in Australia from at least 12 inches
  A: This is a replica of an 8 Escudos gold Spanish coin that was likely made from a mold of a real one. ...
Franciscvs coin12/5/2015
  Q: I found a coin in my house that looks quite valuable altough it seems a little damaged. One ...
  A: Elena, Check out this link and compare both sides - I think this is what you have: ...
Coin with woman pictured11/14/2015
  Q: I found a coin the size of a nickel that looks to be copper with a woman pictured on the obverse and ...
  A: This looks like a one off custom token. It might have been done by an engraver to represent a loved ...
Two Headed Rosevelt Dime 1978 P11/10/2015
  Q: What are the odds of a two headed coin being real? It sure looks real to me. If it is not real how ...
  A: There is no chance that this was made by the mint. The obverse and reverse dies do not fit into the ...
Canadian penny11/4/2015
  Q: I have a 1978 canadian penny, and there is a small five by the by the upper left of the 8. I cannot ...
  A: You are correct that this variety has not yet been listed on any price guides and there is no ...
Help identifying coin from 1600s France10/17/2015
  Q: I have a coin that appears to be from France. The date looks to be 168?, I cannot make out the last ...
  A: Your token is dated 1683 and it is referred to as a Jeton which is the French way of saying token. ...
1997D possible mint error10/9/2015
  Q: Got this penny about a year ago. Recently started looking at it and it appears to me to be a double ...
  A: This is an interesting piece. From the photos it looks like a piece that was made by the ...
Kuwait coin9/26/2015
  Q: I had just found this coin in my stash of quarters and can't find anything with the same dates (I'm ...
  A: What you have there is a 1983 (1403 Arabic calendar) 50 Fils coin from Kuwait. This is current ...
Coin value8/30/2015
  Q: Hello I happen to have these coins I would like to know the value of them
  A: The foreign coins are from the Philippines. They are worth about $5 for the group and the other two ...
Banquet Nationale De Belgique 20 Franc note8/12/2015
  Q: I have a 20 Franc dated 05 02 43. I am seeking to find out approximate the value and where I can ...
  A: These notes are very common in the collections of service members who were active in Europe during ...
foreign money7/26/2015
  Q: I have some foriegn currency from Japan and china with no date on them but I was wondering if u can ...
  A: You were close on the country - this note is from Taiwan. The person pictured is Chiang Kai Shek. He ...
1984 Jose Ma Morelo Coin Value6/22/2015
  Q: I have several of these coins with the engraver's signature, ra, evident on the lapel. From a ...
  A: The one in the photo is the common one, not too much value, about 25 cents. If the initials were ...
1916 d dime6/15/2015
  Q: Hi was wondering what you could tell me about this dime it would be greatly appreciated thank you so ...
  A: This is the rarest Mercury dime. The designer was Adolph Alexander Weinman who also designed the ...
Error coin6/11/2015
  Q: I found an error coin in my collection but I dont know what kind it would be or if it would be worth ...
  A: What you have found is a slightly (10%) off center penny. These are pretty common and you will find ...
Bank of England defect note5/26/2015
  Q: I have found a Bank of England £20 sterling banknote which has one of the 2 UV flourescent inks ...
  A: When it comes to error notes and error coins the rule of thumb is the more obvious the higher the ...
specimen notes5/18/2015
  Q: i have been on the stupid net for weeks now trying to find the value of some notes i have, so far i ...
  A: I would like to start out by saying that these are heavily counterfeited and 999999999999.9% are ...
roman penny5/13/2015
  Q: I have one of those roman pennies the year 1872 is it valuable? and how do I clean it
  A: The Roman empire ended in the year 476 so I think it might be something else. If you include a clear ...
2 dollar bills year 20055/7/2015
  Q: I have conflicting sources on 2005 printing. Were 2 dollar bills printed in 2005? Thanks so much. ...
  A: There were no $2 printed in 2005 From Wikipedia Series Dates $2 Federal Reserve Notes have been ...
1742 silver ducaton4/12/2015
  Q: I have a Dutch Silver Ducaton from the Hollandia shipwreck in 1743. I can make out any dates on the ...
  A: Its not clear from your question if you can or can not make out the date. If you can make out the ...
Silver tarnish4/9/2015
  Q: If I see a silver coin for sale that is 100 or more years old and has no tarnish or toning , should ...
  A: Good Question!!! The age of a coin does not determine its specific patina or life history. There ...
value of coins3/9/2015
  Q: I have a 1998 double died penny. Vf condition and I was trying to get an idea value of what an error ...
  A: I would need to see it to give you a value on your coin but a certified VF 1998 Doubled Die would be ...
weird penny2/18/2015
  Q: Found this going thru 10 years of pennies. Looks exactly like a real penny reverse. .749 diameter. ...
  A: What you have there is half of a novelty double reverse memorial cent. These were/are used by ...
persian gold coin2/11/2015
  Q: I believe this coin is a 5 pahlavi gold persian coin, could you please tell me if this is correct ...
  A: The Iranian 5 Pahlavi gold coin was minted from 1960 to 1979 and should weigh 40.69 grams. The date ...
Error dime1/29/2015
  Q: I have a 1982 dime with no mint mark. It is supposed to have a "P" for Philadelphia mint, but it ...
  A: The gold plated dime will not have any value above ten cents. The 1982 missing the P would be worth ...
1995 dime12/30/2014
  Q: Good afternoon I found this dime and I was looking at the back and seen that it wasn't finished. The ...
  A: What you have here is evidence of someone having too much time on their hands. This coin was ...
Bronz coin with an S on each side12/21/2014
  Q: I found this coin with some other stuff that was put away many years ago. It has nothing on it but a ...
  A: Typically coins with numbers or letters like this were used as hat/coat check tokens at restaurants ...
1942D Jefferson nickel12/1/2014
  Q: Wonder why 42D Jefferson in MS60, 63 & 65 is worth so much more than years with less mintage?
  A: The book value for a 1942 D Nickel is as follows: MS60 $2.00 MS63 $4.00 MS65 $15.00 These prices ...
error10/15/2014
  Q: The number was supposed to be what I believe is 1964 but on the penny it says 196b and under the 9 ...
  A: It sounds like (I can be more specific if you send a picture) you have a "filled" error cent. This ...
value of some currency9/30/2014
  Q: I have a$5.00 note National Currency The First National Bank of Tyrone Pa. #4355 What is the value ...
  A: My estimate on this note would be somewhere between $250 and $500 depending on the condition. The ...
Coin9/27/2014
  Q: What is this coin? And has some value?
  A: Hola Gustavo, This item is a watch fob - this would have been at one end of a pocket watch chain ...
World war 2 German coin/token?9/1/2014
  Q: I received this coin/token a few years ago bit have been unable to identity it or know what it ...
  A: This is a WWII Medal - The number on the back indicates the years of service. The medal was from the ...
Korean Paper Money, 19548/12/2014
  Q: McConaghy, My father served in Korea and I recently found two 100 HWAN bills in an old box of ...
  A: For sure these notes are worth more to you since they have your Dad's inscriptions on them. They ...
My coin7/22/2014
  Q: I was hoping you could help me identify this coin. A friend of mine found it in her yard and I was ...
  A: Your coin looks like its an - ANTONINUS PIUS, 138-161. Sestertius, HRIC.72. Laureate bust r./HONORI ...
Possible ancient coin - need help7/16/2014
  Q: Let me start by saying I know nothing about coins. I acquired this coin in a pendant that was passed ...
  A: Here are the details of a coin similar to the one that you have: KINGS of MACEDON. Philip II. ...
1913 French Indo China 20 Centimes6/23/2014
  Q: I have a 1913 French Indo China 20 centimes Silver Coin. On the reverse it is marked titre 0.68 ...
  A: I can give you some information based on the photo of the back of this coin. If you can send me a ...
Two dollar Canadian Bill6/15/2014
  Q: wondering if my 1986 TWO dollar Canadian bill, signed by Thiessen and Crow with numbers BUZ4848397 ...
  A: This note is still legal tender in Canada and would have its greatest value used that way. This is ...
India coin with Gujrati text on one side6/14/2014
  Q: I have what is probably a token rather than currency. I bought it as an old Arabic coin, probably ...
  A: What you have there looks like a Sikh temple token. These tokens were given to Pilgrims that reached ...
Kwongtung 2cent yr7 n Kiangsi 10cash coins5/21/2014
  Q: I was an avid china antic / coin (especially copper) collector from 1995-2000 when I was working in ...
  A: The 2 cent Kwang Tung coin should be bronze and have a diameter of 30.7 mm. This is a collectible ...
1888/7 penny?5/11/2014
  Q: I have an 1888 indian head penny that appears to be the 1888 over 7. It has the marking under the 8, ...
  A: To help you here I would need a high resolution photo at least at 2x the normal size of the coin. ...
Should I clean my coins?5/5/2014
  Q: I am 53 years old and have been an amateur coin collector my whole life. I am now very interested in ...
  A: I was a collector for almost 30 years before I opened my store; I was also an avid metal ...
non-copper/bronze 1900 Indian Head Penny4/21/2014
  Q: I have an Indian Head Penny, yeaar 1900, that is white in color. It looks to be the correct size ...
  A: This sounds interesting and I would love to help you but I would really need to see the coin. The ...
straits settlement coin4/1/2014
  Q: Straits Settlements 1901 Edward VII King & Emperor Quarter 1/4 Cent Coin  Size: 17.85 mm x 17.85 mm ...
  A: This is a very very common coin - they made 2,000,000 of them. There is no history of counterfeiting ...
French coin3/2/2014
  Q: My mother-in-law recently sold her home and while packing to move came across a tin box of assorted ...
  A: What you have here is commonly referred to as a Love Token. This is when someone takes a coins and ...
Did I get lucky?2/27/2014
  Q: I got this coin at the store as change. I know nothing about it can you help me find it's history?
  A: This is indeed a very old coin. It is too worn out for a positive ID but from the profiles and ...
Ancient Roman Coin value2/18/2014
  Q: So last year I went to Rome and went into a coin dealer and bought an ancient Roman coin. The coin ...
  A: Does the coin have the word "ROMA" on it? I could not find a reference to a Hypsaeus coin with ROMA ...
Chinese Coin2/9/2014
  Q: Aloha David, I see that you have some experience with Chinese coins. I have attached some photos ...
  A: Jo-Anne, You seem to have misunderstood my previous answer so I will be more direct. What you have ...
Chinese Empire - Kangxi2/3/2014
  Q: I require your help regarding several Kangxi I own. I got them from my grandfather who had a chinese ...
  A: The character on the back is not consistent with an authentic version of this coin. From the photos ...
production error banknote1/31/2014
  Q: In early 2002 a few freshly printed and issued banknotes of 500 euro without a patch hologram were ...
  A: Error notes are highly sought after by collectors. If one of these notes did sell for $3300 Euros we ...
bicentennial quarter error1/14/2014
  Q: I have a bicentennial quarter that has 2 separate clips on opposite sides of the coin. I was ...
  A: From the photos that you provided it does look like this is a double clipped quarter. Error coins ...
Canadian silver dollar idenification12/29/2013
  Q: I have some 1965, 1966 Elizabeth 11 silver dollars. What I need to know is what do the terms small ...
  A: You would need to take these into a good coin shop who knows about them. This can not be done here ...
coins12/22/2013
  Q: I have five coins 2 say new pence 50 on one side with a lady on a lion and on the other side they ...
  A: Your five 50 Pence coin from England are still legal tender and would be worth 82 cents US (each) ...
Haw much is that coin worth12/15/2013
  Q: Kindlly let me know haw much is this coin worth and is it an original one or fake Thanks
  A: The front of this coin looks like an Austrian Marie Theresa Silver Coin. The diameter would be ...
replica gold coin12/2/2013
  Q: I am not sure this will be something you will be able to answer. I have a replica coin. It is ...
  A: If there is gold in it then the value would be based on the gold content. If it is a replica coin it ...
identify a coin11/5/2013
  Q: Sir, I am planning to bid for the following coin but I am not sure about it being real or not. So ...
  A: In my opinion this coin was not minted by the Chinese government. The bi-metal coins made by the ...
one dollar10/21/2013
  Q: please can you help me , i have a 1967 one dollar UN CANADA NOTE IN VERY GOOD CONDITION, PLEASE CAN ...
  A: What you have there is a $1.00 bill from Canada. As you might know they no longer print 1 or 2 ...
real or not. what are they?10/6/2013
  Q: I boughht these at an estate sale over 10 years. never had them evaluated by anyone.. I hear that ...
  A: I am sorry to say that I do not believe that this is an authentic coin. The image on the obverse is ...
1991 penny9/24/2013
  Q: I found a 1991 penny that looks gold and weighs different than a regular penny can u tell me if I ...
  A: These are pretty common. Many coins are plated to improve their appearance and make them easier to ...
The Hawaiian Mint9/16/2013
  Q: ) I have recently come into the possession of a small gold colored coin (gold or not I do not know) ...
  A: Here is some info on the "Royal Hawaiian Mint" "From 1995 to 1997 they were at King and Kalakaua, ...
money value9/1/2013
  Q: Could you please give a value on a 1928 $50 dollar federal reserve note-cleveland fr#2100-D graded ...
  A: Recent auction history shows us that you could acquire this note for $150.00 -$175. Right now there ...
piastre de commerce8/13/2013
  Q: I have a coin dated 1896 not sure if its valuable
  A: I don't have good news on this one. From the photos you sent I would say that this is a replica ...
Old Coin or Medallion7/29/2013
  Q: I'm wondering if you can help me identify this coin / medallion. I believe it refers to Louis XIIII ...
  A: This is a great question. To me the patina or finish on the coin looks like a newer replica. The ...
China coins6/9/2013
  Q: I have a Li Yuan-Hung 1912 china republic dollar with cap on silver.
  A: The vast majority of these coins are counterfeit. How you ended up with this coin will probably ...
1977 dime4/30/2013
  Q: I have a 1977d Dime that clearly has the D mint mark above 1977 is filled in, it looks to of ...
  A: You are correct, this did happen during the minting process. This type of error is called a "filled ...
Wrong reverse???4/27/2013
  Q: I have a 1906 French Indo-Chine 20 Cent. coin. The only thing that concerns me is the reverse states ...
  A: as you can see it was tough to see my coin too without a picture. The French did not make a 20 ...
1922 silver one dollar.4/7/2013
  Q: I have a silver one dollar and one the front were it reads IN GOD WE TRUST: TRUST IS SPELLED TRVST ...
  A: The Peace Dollar was minted from 1921-1928 and then again from 1934-1935. With .77 ounces of pure ...
German Sagan POW coin4/2/2013
  Q: I cannot find an image and only one reference to this notgeld 5pf. I believe it is from c1917. Can ...
  A: Your coin is from Prussia. This coin falls into the category of Notgeld or emergency issue money. ...
Coins3/18/2013
  Q: I have several John F Kennedy Jr coins. The front has his profile, to the left it says "in Loving ...
  A: I wish I had better news for you. These coins fall into the category of "novelties". These coins are ...
100 East African Shilling bank note3/10/2013
  Q: I'll appreciate if you could help me with value related information inregards to this 100 East ...
  A: This is a collectible and potential valuable note. I would need to see it to give you a specific ...
Gold over silver bar3/5/2013
  Q: I purchased a Frank Lloyd Wright "Fallingwater - Wonders of America", marked: one troy oz, .999 ...
  A: These bars are always difficult to value. These bars vary is value and recent sales show this bar ...
1906 dime2/24/2013
  Q: The reverse of the dime has "one dime" spelled backwards. The coin has a small hole punched through ...
  A: This could be quite a find. I would need to see it to determine the value for you. I can assure you ...
5000 coin lira2/18/2013
  Q: how much is the equivalent value of my 1993 5000 coin lira? or is there any value of it?
  A: Melanie, What you have is a commemorative coin, they made 42,000 of these. The back of this coin ...
2000 penny color2/13/2013
  Q: I found a 2000 Lincoln penny that is gold in color. Any idea why? Thank you for your help.
  A: A lot of times companies will gold plate coins in order to sell them for more than face value. You ...
Queen Elizabeth II d.g.reina 1867-1967 Canada 1 cent coin1/20/2013
  Q: I read the answer to the followingQuestion This 1 cent coin has a picture of Elizabeth 11 D. G. ...
  A: We see several dozen of these coins each month here in the US so its safe to say that most of these ...
1955 Sorocaima 22.2grams1/6/2013
  Q: I was given a 1955 Venezuelan Sorocaima 22.2grams for Christmas. Could you give me some history as ...
  A: Here is what I found for your coin .... "Minted between 1955 and 1960, the “Cacique” series of ...
W.German money12/24/2012
  Q: I have a lot of deutsche marks and pfennings,Is there any value to the 1950s ...
  A: I hope you staying warm up there in Minnesota! These coins are pretty common and each US soldier ...
Roman coin12/17/2012
  Q: I have Roman Empire coin & I would like some information about the year & the name of the emperor on ...
  A: From the photos you sent the coin looks like it might have some iron in it and its rusting - this ...
penny 199412/9/2012
  Q: I have a 1994 penny with the D located under the Last T in Trust. I will get a picture up soon. Is ...
  A: I would need to see the coin to determine if it is genuine and to judge the nature of the error that ...
KWANG TUNG PROVINCE 2 CENTS COIN11/18/2012
  Q: I have probably a fake coin , but would like to know for sure. The 1918 brass version is listed but ...
  A: From the picture that you sent I would say that this is a brass coin. If you can find a refiner that ...
WW2 era Chinese and Japanese paper money11/13/2012
  Q: I am trying to find out more about this money and its value I can send some pictures, I was gifted ...
  A: What you have there is mostly Japanese Occupation money. These notes were printed by the Japanese ...
canadian penny error10/28/2012
  Q: I've got a 1974 canadian penny with a couple different errors i can't quite pinpoint.I have been ...
  A: I am sorry to say that I do not believe this damage occurred at the mint. When there is a chip taken ...
Misprinted $50.00 Bill10/9/2012
  Q: Mc Conaghy: I currently own a misprinted $50.00 bill. The lower left hand corner of the face side of ...
  A: Its difficult to give you a specific number with out seeing the note. As you describe it they ...
John Adams coin identification9/30/2012
  Q: I found an old, rough looking coin. It appears to have John Adams on the front, and on the back an ...
  A: From what you told me it sounds like one of the tokens that the gas stations gave away in the 1970s. ...
one dollar bill8/20/2012
  Q: I have a one dollar bill printed in 2006 where the black seal on the front is under the green ...
  A: I would need to see this note to give you specific information. Please send a photo or include it ...
Greek coin8/5/2012
  Q: This coin has been in the family for 70+ years. Have looked at hundreds on info sites and auctions ...
  A: It looks like you have the following: Seleukid Kingdom, Seleukos I Nikator, 312-294 BC, Hemidrachm, ...
1990 dime mis-cut7/29/2012
  Q: i have two easy questions for you. First, is my mis-cut dime worth anything? And second what is a ...
  A: While this coin looks off center it is still well within the US Mint guidelines and if you stack it ...
roosevelt dime7/8/2012
  Q: i have a roosevelt dime and the date only shows 200. can you tell me if this is a rare error coin.
  A: What you have is the result of a grease filled die. They use grease to lubricate the stays and other ...
coins7/1/2012
  Q: I have an 1863 dime size coin. Vittorio Emanuele II with male facing right on front and Regna D' ...
  A: There are 2 varieties on this coin. One has a cross on the back and the value range is: 1863 BN $8 ...
Unknown Coin6/25/2012
  Q: I have a coin that appears to have a seated liberty on one side, but the reverse side is very odd ...
  A: This is one of my favorite coins to collect. These are known as "Love Tokens". They were very ...
Question on Vatican coins6/17/2012
  Q: I have a set of 3 silver coins that I purchased from a gift shop in Vatican City in the fall of ...
  A: These are souvenir coins and while they are very pretty they really don't have any numismatic or ...
1980 silver color penny6/11/2012
  Q: I don't see a mint mark. I've never seen a penny that has a silver look.
  A: From time to time people modify coins as a way to differentiate them from others. Sometimes they are ...
1969s DDO?6/5/2012
  Q: I think I may have a 1969s ddo, my cam doesn't do it justice but "Liberty" alone tells me it's ...
  A: I am sorry to say that you do not have a double strike 1969s. I have attached a photo (courtesy of ...
1882 pesata5/21/2012
  Q: I have an 1882 Alfono XI 2 pesata. It is in excellent shape. The detail is excellent and sharp on ...
  A: The 2 Pesata would be worth its silver value as collectors will not buy a coin that has been in ...
Canadian Mint coin sets5/13/2012
  Q: I have two collectoins of canadian uncirculated coins. 1966 to 1988. A few of the earlier years are ...
  A: Over the past 10 years eBay has risen to become the largest retailer of coins by volume. The prices ...
1700's coin value5/6/2012
  Q: I recently acquired a coin from prussia, germany, {not sure }, its a 1779A, it says on the side ...
  A: It looks like you have a 1779 A 1 Thaler Silver coin from Prussia. The mintage on that coin was ...
Civil War Currency4/29/2012
  Q: I just purchased some Civil War currency on E-Bay. How do I tell if the currency is real or fake? ...
  A: This is a great question. Here is my first piece of advice - If you don't know if a coin or a piece ...
GRADE ?4/22/2012
  Q: I am beginner coin collector.If is possible,please advise about this coin grade,according the ...
  A: I need to see both sides of the coin to give you a grade. Based on what I see from the obverse photo ...
misprints 1 dollar bills4/15/2012
  Q: I have two 1995 consecutive serial # One dollar bills that I removed out of a new bundle of one ...
  A: I would need to see them to give you a final value but my initial guess is that a weak printed set ...
1,000 Tausend Kronen & 100,000 Mark4/9/2012
  Q: I have several Tausend Kronen 1,000 notes in near perfect condution. Series # 1652, dated 1902. ...
  A: These notes are very common and they are usually in pretty good condition. They were printed in high ...
1813 Trade and Navigation Half Penny Token4/1/2012
  Q: David, I'm wondering if you have any thoughts on the value of an 1813 Half-Penny Token with Trade ...
  A: This coin is listed under Nova Scotia in Coins of Canada as a Trade and Navigation token issued ...
Liberia Coins3/18/2012
  Q: My main collection is World Commemorative Coins and Medals. I acquired these two Liberia 5 Dollars ...
  A: Liberia makes coins for just about any occasion or event. The low mintages often make us think that ...
coins3/5/2012
  Q: I would like to know the value of them, but I also have a Mexican coin dated 1943 and it says "UN ...
  A: If you have a lot of coins you should visit a local coin shop or go to a coin show. I can not ...
Buffalo Dime2/20/2012
  Q: We have a Buffalo Dime (1928) When it's turned over the Indian head is upside down. Is this the way ...
  A: I think what you have is a buffalo nickel. 1928 was a pretty common date and they are worth about $1 ...
Gem BU Coin Grading2/18/2012
  Q: I recently purchased a roll of Franklin half dollars from Ebay. They were described as GEM Brilliant ...
  A: This is a great question! The problem is GEM Brilliant Uncirculated is an opinion, not a grade. The ...
Coin error(mule)2/15/2012
  Q: my nane is Steve Fenton and I found a rare coin that looks real. it's a half penny have dime. I ...
  A: Steve, Here's a quick definition of a mule - In numismatics, a mule is a coin or medal minted with ...
Coin2/14/2012
  Q: I have a Canada Confederation Coin (1867-1967), But mine is sold silver in still in the box it came ...
  A: You will need to tell me the denomination of the coin. They made dimes, quarters, halfs and dollars ...
unknown coin/token2/14/2012
  Q: i have a copper or brass coin says Kansas wheat state and on the back Kansas was admitted to the ...
  A: This looks like one of the state tokens/coins that were given as loyalty gifts by the gas companies ...
Kwang Tung Coin2/6/2012
  Q: I have a coin from the Kwang Tung Province that says 7 mace and 3 candareens on one side and a ...
  A: Most of these are counterfeits. See the attached photo for a look at one group of these fakes at a ...
1898 silver coin1/29/2012
  Q: i have an 1898 silver coin it has no mark of s d or o but it is miss marked on the back it looks ...
  A: I am guessing that this is a Morgan Dollar? The ones minted in Philadelphia did not have a mint ...
French coin?1/27/2012
  Q: I have a 1874-A Republique Francaise 50 cent. coin. I believe it is silver. Also on the reverse are ...
  A: Your coin is silver, it is 83.5% silver. There were 1.2 million of these made, which is pretty low ...
Old ( Foreign? ) Mystery Coin1/27/2012
  Q: I am searching through and organizing some old coin collections that were given to me. I was able to ...
  A: I am sorry but I can't help you on this one. I need a better photo and if you can send me the weight ...
Silver One Teal1/26/2012
  Q: How much is a Silver one teal worth? It has a deer head on it. I'm not sure what year it is.
  A: 9999999 out of 10000000 of these are fake. I have attached a photo that I took a few weeks ago at a ...
Guyana bills1/25/2012
  Q: I recently received two Guyanese bills as a gift frorm a colector and am curious to know if they are ...
  A: These bills would have some value (about $2 to $5 each) if they are in crisp uncirculated condition. ...
1943 Tombac or tombak coin1/25/2012
  Q: Mr. McConaghy, I have looked online trying to identify this coin or medal? Since it too was in my ...
  A: You have an advantage over me because you can see the coin. If you send me a picture I can give you ...
identify the coin1/24/2012
  Q: Please identify the coin (image of coin is as attached). whether this is a coin/token/medal. what ...
  A: What you have there is a 50 Reis Silver Coin from Portugal. These were minted from 1750 to 1777. ...
mexican coin1/21/2012
  Q: I have a 1789 carolus IV dei gratia--reverside--hispan et ind rex m 2r f m--could u please identify ...
  A: If this coin is in good condition where all letters,numbers and symbols are clear an readable the ...
Re: One Tael Kirin Providence w/ dragon and unknown lettering, back side yen and yan symbol with more chinese or somethng lettering1/19/2012
  Q: Read up on some fakes, found this at gas station, and well just wanna know what it is and ya what ...
  A: The vast majority of these coins are replicas. I would need to see it to give you a final opinion ...
Queen Mother 100 birthday 5 pound coin1/18/2012
  Q: I have a 5 pound coin from 2000 that commemorated the 100 birthday of the queen mother. It is very ...
  A: There were dozens of coin designs done for the 100th birthday celebration. I would need to see yours ...
State Quarter1/17/2012
  Q: I have a 1999 D Georgia Quarter the back of the coin is copper it is thinner than the other Quarters ...
  A: You may have a valuable coin there. The way to tell if this is missing the outer band of nickel ...
1819 spanish coin1/17/2012
  Q: I've a 1819 Spanish coin and I wonder if its worth something or if its original see the picture. ...
  A: I am sorry to say that I think this is a replica coin. The pitting on the surface makes me think ...
1943 steal head miss struck half way off the coin1/16/2012
  Q: What is the value of this penny
  A: The 1943 Steel cent is a very collectible coin. There are not many that are struck off center so if ...
1968 Canadian Proof like set1/15/2012
  Q: I have a canadian 1968 proof like set where the penny has what looks like a vine (or a thread) ...
  A: This is very interesting. I can not find any reference to this design. My suggestion would be to ...
Sir Isaac Brock upper canada coin1/11/2012
  Q: I found a site that has picture of a coin from my Dad who passed away a year ago. ...
  A: I can not get into the link that you sent, its blocked by my spyware. I would need to see this coin ...
1965 US Quarter defect?1/11/2012
  Q: I'm not sure if this is a defect when the quarter was made or someone purposely made this defect. If ...
  A: This mark was put into the coin after it left the mint. The value on this is still 25 cents. ...
Canadian one cent1/10/2012
  Q: I have come across a 1910 Canadian one cent. Not unusual by itself except this one seems silver ...
  A: I would need to see the coin to give you a specific value but my guess would be that this was done ...
token identification and value1/3/2012
  Q: David, I've been searching the web for a similar coin/token but have been unsuccessful. Hopefully ...
  A: It sounds like you have a replica California Gold token. Most of these are replicas and you can find ...
1746 spanish mexio 8 reales1/3/2012
  Q: Looking for the value of this coin . Obviously some wear but in very good condition. I have seen ...
  A: I would need to see it to get you a specific value but in good to fine condition this coin would ...
Canadian coins1/2/2012
  Q: I found a couple of special coins the value of which I could not determine by myself using Wikipedia ...
  A: There are some varieties of the 1953 5 cent piece that are rare. You have the one "with strap far ...
Paper Money1/1/2012
  Q: How much would the value of a TEN dollar bill that is without the phrase "in god we trust." ...
  A: They were not using the "In God We Trust" motto in 1950 so they all are missing this wording. The ...
Martin Luther coin12/31/2011
  Q: In 2008 my grandfather got a job leveling a piece of property in Savannah, GA. The property turned ...
  A: It sounds like you have a German coin there. Take a look at this coin and if its the one you have ...
Confederate note12/29/2011
  Q: I have a Confederate $500 bill dated 2/17/1864. Pink on the front and teal on the back. It is ...
  A: It looks like you have a replica note there. Can you send me a picture of the back? If you look ...
$1 bill12/29/2011
  Q: I pulled a 2009 $1 bill out of my wallet (Boston FR)as payment for my favorite drive-thru meal but ...
  A: I have heard of counterfeit notes and coins of all kinds. I would need to see yours to make a ...
Value of old coins12/27/2011
  Q: I have a german 2 mark coin. Onse side has an eagle standing on a nazi symbol within a circle, and ...
  A: On the 2 Mark coin there should be a date on the back. Its probably a 1937 or 1938, in either case ...
coin12/22/2011
  Q: i have a 1999 john f kenneday and his son on front and sailboat and island on back its a ten dollar ...
  A: That coin is worth closer to $30 here in the US. The silver content is 98% of one troy ounce and a ...
new peso 190712/21/2011
  Q: A relative was stationed in the Philippines during World W ar II, and I recently found several of ...
  A: I am very familiar with those coins, they were brought back in large quantities from US Servicemen ...
what denomination?12/20/2011
  Q: I have a 1922 ceskoslovenska reoublicka coin that has a 50 for denomination on the back. what could ...
  A: The coin you have is a 50 Haleru. 100 Halerus equaled 1 Koruna. Regards, David McConaghy New ...
1771-1869 Norwegian coins12/20/2011
  Q: I have these old coins and would like to know what they are worth and I also have other coins from ...
  A: The coins that you have will have value. From that time period they are very collectible so long as ...
Unknown Coin12/19/2011
  Q: I have a coin and know nothing about it. Any info you can provide would be appreciated. I have ...
  A: This looks like a Greek coin (600 to 100 BC). I would need to see the other side to give you a ...
Japanese currency12/17/2011
  Q: I have a Japanese bill that has NIPPON on the back, and Y10 with the serial number 150223 on the ...
  A: What you have there is a 1946ish 10 Yen note. These are typically in rough shape because they were ...
albrecht hoger coin12/15/2011
  Q: I have a very old looking coin and i can only make some of the words out. it has a bust on the front ...
  A: What you have there is known as a Jeton. Here is the definition from Wikipedia... Jetons were token ...
1965 quarter12/12/2011
  Q: Want to know if there are certain defects on a 1965 quarter is anything? It has an O imbedded in the ...
  A: I'd have to see it to be sure but it sounds like a counterstamp that occurred after the coin left ...
1985 $10 bill12/11/2011
  Q: Is there any increase in value of a $10 bill from 1985?
  A: Sorry to say but that is a current circulating note and is still worth $10. If it is in perfect ...
california coin/token12/11/2011
  Q: I was going through some of my father's items and came across. A coin that has ahead on the front ...
  A: This is probably a replica token. Some of these had a small amount of gold in them but most did not ...
1769 COIN12/8/2011
  Q: I have a silver coin inscripted Concordia Res Parve Crescunt dated 1769, plain edge, crowned shield ...
  A: I would need to see your coin in order to help you to authenticate it or determine the value. ...
markings on 20 dollar bill12/6/2011
  Q: I have a twenty dollar bill with a marking of a thin scar from the forehead to the lip on the side ...
  A: I am not sure if this is an error that was done at the Bureau of Engraving or if it is the result of ...
1969 US penny12/5/2011
  Q: I recently came across an 1969 penny that has July 20 and a picture of the moon landing stamped into ...
  A: This is kind of a novelty coin. These stamps were put on the coins during this time period. You can ...
sequential 1969 dollar bills12/3/2011
  Q: I have 25 Series 1969D one dollar bills (from L38786701D to ...725D). They were in mint condition ...
  A: Your bills would fetch the highest price as a group. As long as they don't smelly musty or moldy ...
1943 White/Silver Penny12/2/2011
  Q: I had this coin for quite sometime. Lincoln's portrait and the wheat on back is very defined ...
  A: Just for clarification. Pennies were 90% copper until 1943 when they produced pennies made from zinc ...
german empire coin12/2/2011
  Q: how much is a 1912 j mint mark with zwei mark on the obverse and freie hanburg with two lions on the ...
  A: That's a really good coin! The mintage was only 78,500 pieces and the value would be close to $300 ...
el banco de espana12/2/2011
  Q: and thank you for taking the time to read my question. i have a cien pesetas bill from el banco de ...
  A: In average circulated condition this bill would be worth about $3.00. Regards, David McConaghy New ...
Foreign Currency and Coins12/1/2011
  Q: I have a box of very old foreign currency and coins from Bolivia, Deutschland,France, Bahamas circa ...
  A: For the most part what you have is vacation money. People traveled to these places and took these ...
Indian head cents11/30/2011
  Q: Did they produce an 1893 gold indian head penny. I have one and it feels and looks like solid gold ...
  A: They did not produce a gold Indian head penny but they did make a gold $2.5 coin that was the close ...
1973 Canadian one dollar bill11/30/2011
  Q: Please tell me what the range of values in USD would be for a 1973 Canadian (Ottawa)one dollar bill: ...
  A: If this bill has no folds, rips or holes the value would be about $2.00. If it has signs of wear the ...
Golden coin11/29/2011
  Q: I hav etwo gold what I would call doubloon's one has alot of letters and a lion and castle in a ...
  A: If they are real you might not have to keep working. Chances are 99999999 out of 10000000 that this ...
British Coins11/29/2011
  Q: I have a Half Crown dated 1958 with Elizabeth II on the obverse and a Half Crown dated 1948 with ...
  A: Both of these coins are pretty common. Both of these coins were demonetized in the 1970s so they can ...
georgivs II del gratia 179011/28/2011
  Q: I have a coin or token one side has GEORGIVS iii DEL GRATIA AND THE OTHER SIDE : IN MEMORY OF GOOD ...
  A: Sound like you have a token of some kind, I would need to see it to give you a specific ...
One sided coin11/27/2011
  Q: found this coin at work. Has the heads side of a 2010 nickel and the backside is smooth. Could ...
  A: It looks like someone ground this down. You can get excited if the weight is 5.0grams. In this case ...
What is this coin?11/27/2011
  Q: I have had this coin for a long while now and am not sure what it is. Can you tell me wbat it is ...
  A: The weight of this one will tell me a lot, see if you can find someone with a gram scale and get it ...
coin value11/26/2011
  Q: what is the value of the following coins: 1942 5 cents U.S.A. 1970 5 cents U.S.A. 1897 5 centavos ...
  A: Augustine, The US coins are worth 5 cents each. The other coins are worth their face value in ...
Identify coins France11/25/2011
  Q: How much is a coin that says 1984 Liberte Egalite Fraternite 20 centimes
  A: That coin doesn't have any value since France moved over to the Euro. They left all the old coins in ...
1983d penny11/23/2011
  Q: 1983d penny It has almost no copper coat at all it looks like a steel penny from the 40's
  A: You may have something valuable there. The photo that I have attached is of a 1983 cent that was not ...
1983d penny11/23/2011
  Q: It has almost no copper coat at all
  A: Harold, If you send me some pics and tell me the weight I can give you more info. Regards, David ...
1863 French coin11/21/2011
  Q: I have an 1863 NAPOLEON 111 EMPEREUR COIN with an Eagle on the back with words I cant make out. Can ...
  A: If this is a copper coin the value would be very low. If you can make out the words the condition is ...
Oblong Cent11/20/2011
  Q: I have a 1989 Cent that is about the size of a nickel and the thickness of a cent, it is steel in ...
  A: It looks like you have a cent struck on a nickel planchet. It would be good if you could get a ...
2nd pic of coin11/19/2011
  Q: Here's the other side of the coin. Greatly appreciated, Ron
  A: This is interesting but there is just not enough detail for me to do an identification. The design ...
Coin11/19/2011
  Q: I have come acrross this coin and I'm having a hard time identifying it. It's a very unusual ...
rare coin from Batsto Village, NJ11/18/2011
  Q: We have a coin that we believe came from Batsto Village, NJ. We live about 4 miles from there. It ...
  A: What you describe sounds like a New Jersey Colonial coin - see the attached photo for comparison. ...
nova constellatio 1783 coin11/17/2011
  Q: S 1000 CIRCLED IN THE MIDDLE WITH LEAF LIKE THINGS SUROURROUNDING IT ,,,THE OTHER SIDE HAS 13 STARS ...
  A: Most of these coins are replicas. This is one of the most replicated coins ever made. Coin dealers ...
Francals coins11/16/2011
  Q: I have a Empire Francals Dix Centimes 1854 Napoleon III Empereur with Napoleon on one side and an ...
  A: That's a pretty common coin. If you can see all the details of his beard on the front and the ...
currency11/15/2011
  Q: David, I have a 1932 two dollar bill. How much could it be worth. Also I have a 1942 nickel is it ...
  A: The US did not print a $2.00 bill in 1932. Please check the date and let me know what you have. The ...
Bundesrepublik Deutschland11/11/2011
  Q: I have the above coin, dated 1978. 10 pfennig, with the mint mark, G. What is this coin worth ?
  A: That is a pretty common coin - they made 60,590,000. Since Germany switched over to the Euro and ...
2004-D Roosevelt Dime11/9/2011
  Q: I have a 2004-D Roosevelt Dime, I believe. I say "believe" because he '4' in 2004 is so faint as to ...
  A: What you have is a coin with some faint details due to grease in the die. When grease or other ...
james monroe 1817 gold coin11/9/2011
  Q: I have this gold coin of 1817 james monroe the last cocked hat with all it acomplishment what is the ...
  A: It sounds like you have one of the tokens that the gasoline companies use to give out with each fill ...
Silver coin with serial number11/3/2011
  Q: I have found what looks like a 1879 Morgan Silver dollar with unfinished edges. Both heads and tails ...
  A: What you have here is a replica coin. This one is a replica of a Morgan Dollar. If it is silver the ...
1934 B $10 Silver Certificate11/1/2011
  Q: I work as a cashier at a store, and sometimes find old currency. In early July, I found a 1934 $10 ...
  A: In collectible condition these are selling for $15 to $20. If your has rips or tears it would be ...
Silver10/30/2011
  Q: Weight is 2.5 grams & is the same thickest is a reg penny.I seen some sites saying it could have ...
  A: Since the US Mint never made a silver penny ever or in 2004 we can assume that you have a penny that ...
1936 Roman Penny10/30/2011
  Q: I have a 1936, I assume, Roman Penny. I am attaching a picture of one side, the other side shows a ...
  A: What you have there is a large penny from England. This is a pretty common date and this type of ...
bundesrepublik coin10/28/2011
  Q: I have a Bundesrepublik Deutschland 10 Pfennig coin 1978 no mint letter, and I was wondering how ...
  A: If you can get this authenticated it would have considerable value. It would be easy to remove the ...
2nd picture chinese coin10/26/2011
  Q: here is the other side of the chinese coin in question. FYI...the chinese coin fits almost perfectly ...
  A: Hell Zach, I wish I could give you better news but this one looks like a replica. The hole it in ...
chinese coins10/26/2011
  Q: my friend found these chinese coins while detecting along railroad tracks in southern ohio. I have ...
  A: Kinda hard to believe that this coin was buried it looks pretty good. Unfortunately its a replica. ...
ferdnd vi d g hispan et coin10/26/2011
  Q: I have found this coin and was wondering if it is a real coin and if it has any value.
  A: I would need to see this coin to give you a specific value. If its like the one attached here the ...
Ethiopian coin from 1800's10/25/2011
  Q: I have a coin which I finally found on line but with no info and no obverse view. All it said is ...
  A: It looks like a 1 Birr coin that was minted from 1901 to 1904 in Ethiopia. Can you tell me the ...
1782 1/2 real10/20/2011
  Q: while detecting an old church/gravesite in southern ohio , I found a 1782 spanish 1/2 real silver ...
  A: This is a pretty common coin from that era. The weight should be 1.69grams but with acceptable wear ...
misprinted dollar bill10/19/2011
  Q: i have a 2003 dollar bill with the serial number(black circle with the letter L in the center) on ...
  A: I would need to see your note. the error that you describe is not a common one so I am not sure if ...
re: Gold coins10/18/2011
  Q: I would like to know the value of 2 gold coins that we have please: 1. Sovereign (1911) with Bare ...
  A: The gold sovereign would range from $200 to $400 depending on the condition. The Napoleon 10 Franc ...
1970 nickel10/17/2011
  Q: I have a 1970 nickel that has no back side. The ring is there but the inside of the coin is not. Its ...
  A: There are two explanations for this. 1. This might have been a gag coin. There were two varieties. ...
any value10/16/2011
  Q: I have this only the date id MDCCCXXVI, Would like to know if this has any value? It is currently ...
  A: This date - MDCCCXXVI - is 1896 not 1836. It sounds like you have the medallion pictured here. It ...
1813 NS Trade & Navigation Token10/15/2011
  Q: David, I recently purchased this coin with the Masted Ship on the one side in AU condition. Just ...
  A: Below is probably more than you ever wanted to know about chop marks. First the definition - Chop ...
1928 quarter10/14/2011
  Q: in god we trust the trust is spelled trvst have you ever saw this before
  A: This was the intended design. This spelling was also used on the Peace Silver Dollars from 1921 to ...
Faked coin???10/13/2011
  Q: The other day I found an 1989 quarter within my change.The thing is,this quarter has a capital B ...
  A: This is not a fake coin, this type of mark is referred to as a Counter Stamp. In the 1800s ...
value coin10/11/2011
  Q: i have two coins 1.James Blomfield Rush Execution april 21 1849,2.1cent 1878 Koningrijk Der ...
  A: The first item is a commemorative medallion or token. I would need to see the coin to give you a ...
penny10/10/2011
  Q: i have a few penny and would like to know how much money they are worth one has a sheild on it how ...
  A: That penny is a new one (2010 or 2011) and its still worth 1 cent. This was part of the new pennies ...
value of coins10/8/2011
  Q: I have 5 coins and would like to know the value of them. I have an 1835 East India Company one ...
  A: Of course condition is everything when it comes to coin values so I will give you a range of pricing ...
1944 nederland coin10/8/2011
  Q: I have a 1944 25 cent Nederland coin. It looks very black from age. I've researched it but I cannot ...
  A: You have a 25 cent coin from the Netherlands, I think you have the date off a bit. The coin that you ...
old paper moneies....10/8/2011
  Q: I have several paper currency bills that my dad who was in the navy, WWII gave to me, I am wanting ...
  A: This is a common grouping of souvenir money brought back from Asis during WWII and shortly after. ...
counterfeit currency10/7/2011
  Q: McConaghy, I recently heard from a friend he once had a large printing press for posters and ...
  A: For sure he could have printed something that might have looked like money but I doubt many people ...
coin value10/6/2011
  Q: I have a coin looks like it's made of puter or something of that color dated 1763 with like a tic ...
  A: Its probably a silver coin, it does sound Spainish but I would need to see it to fully identify it ...
2011 glacier montana quarter miss print10/4/2011
  Q: I have a 2011 Glacier Montana quarter, on the face the 'L' in Liberty is gone & the 'U' in United is ...
  A: What you have is the result of grease filling the die. When grease that is used to lubricate the ...
miscut currancy10/3/2011
  Q: I found some uncurculated bills in my dads safe, there are 50 one dollar bills that are all in ...
  A: For sure these are worth more than the face value. The degree of error will determine the final ...
Coin collection From Old Relative10/2/2011
  Q: My friend got several coins from her grandfather and some of them we can't find how much they're ...
  A: Sorry to say that these coins don't have much value. They are interesting to look at but not really ...
No P or D mark10/2/2011
  Q: I have a Series 1928 C $5 bill, and I've noticed that the Mark on the bottom left-side of the bill ...
  A: Currency doesn't have the same mint mark letters like coins. You may have noticed plate letters and ...
Penny troubles9/30/2011
  Q: I was going through a bunch of old coins with my mother and I stumbled on a 1953 penny that has no ...
  A: You could have a treasure there or someone version of folk art. It is possible that you have a coin ...
OLD SILVER COIN9/30/2011
  Q: I have a coin the size of a silver dollar. It looks just like the Indian Head Eagle coin but it is ...
  A: What you have there is a 1 troy ounce pure silver bullion coin. These types of coins are made by ...
Couple of stamped pennies9/29/2011
  Q: I have three pennies that I have never seen before and I was wondering the orgin two are from 2009 ...
  A: These are the 100 year anniversary Lincoln Cents. The first Lincoln cents came out in 1909 and they ...
re: dime9/29/2011
  Q: My question is this, My husband found a dime recently at the swap meet we attended on the ground, on ...
  A: If this is a dime dated 1965 or newer it could be an error. Clad dimes are made with layers of ...

All Questions in This Category

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

David McConaghy

Top Expert on this page