Coin and Paper Money Collecting/Questions Answered by Expert Neil S Berman

SubjectDate Asked
Tx qtr3/23/2011
  Q: I've come across a 2004 Texas quarter and on the state side, the state and star only are a bright ...
  A: Quarters are made of a three part sandwich, nickle on the outside and copper on the inside. This ...
US Coin Grading3/23/2011
  Q: I see Roosevelt dimes graded at MS68 for under $5 are available. I have a large number of 1960's US ...
  A: There are only two grading services that professional coin deals use, NGC and PCGS, and using ...
1974d steel penny1/22/2011
  Q: this coin appears to be a rare item, but I have read that it is not legal tender and is therefore ...
  A: If the coin is steel it is a planchette error and it is legal for you to own. If it is aluminum, ...
shot shell pennies11/19/2010
  Q: Looking for information on "shot shell" pennies. I think these were pennies struck during the war ...
  A: Type I 1909-1942 Bronze .950 copper, .050 tin and zinc Type II 1943 Zinc Steel, Zinc ...
1707 penny10/3/2010
  Q: I have a 1707 penny 35mm dia 3.2mm thick Britania on one side George on the other side looking to ...
  A: What do you mean "this coin can not exist?" Anything can exist, as you see in your hand. It can be a ...
coin value9/7/2010
  Q: I have two collections of pennys dated 1941 though1972, 1943s are steel.I also have a 1911 50cent ...
  A: Most of what you have is common. You don't mention grade, so I'll guess the coins are used, not New. ...
Ten centavos Filipinas/back United States of American 19449/6/2010
  Q: My dad was in World War II and the Korean War. I have extremely small coins, a 1943 Australia ...
  A: You have a small collection of "bring back" coins. Usually there is paper money as well. We had ten ...
unusual nickels7/31/2010
  Q: while working at a restaurant I opened an entire roll of nickels that were made of a different ...
  A: In the US banks can not confiscate the contents of safe deposit boxes for non payment. The contents ...
1960's -1970's coins6/6/2010
  Q: Years ago I started putting away any coins I came across w/dates between 1960-1980. This would ...
  A: What you have is an acummulation, and not a collection. Sadly, there is no value in the coins metal ...
Info/Worth4/17/2010
  Q: I cannot find record of through the internet One side says The American Institute NEW YORK and it ...
  A: You have a privately made medal. There are tens of thousands of these made since the invention of ...
1902 Nickel3/24/2010
  Q: I have a 1902 Nickel that I would say is in good condition, not mint. I've seen the value of a mint ...
  A: You are confused or someone is dreaming of a price they would like to get. A perfect certified ...
Confederate coin or medallion3/24/2010
  Q: In 1963, my father found, among some very valuable items in the settlement of an estate, a gold ...
  A: Doug. I'm not sure what your item is except to say that it is neither a Civil War contemporary ...
1789 COIN US COLONIAL VOC NEW YORK PENNY UTRECHT3/23/2010
  Q: I recently purchased a colonial VOC coin honestly because it looked interesting and it was old, do ...
  A: Its Colonial aright, but Dutch, not US, and carries the Dutch East India Company VOC seal. These ...
1975 Penny with MS engraved on it3/19/2010
  Q: I have a penny i found. Thought it was a little interesting. Its a 1975 penny with MS engraved ...
  A: Actually, I didn't say that at all. They are mass manufactured, and are then often sold in complete ...
Identifying coin2/28/2010
  Q: there is also no date on this coin. I think it could be a model half sovereign. I have attached ...
  A: Ok, the obverse is a common Great Britain Victoria obverse, like what is found on a half farthing or ...
1793 Coin2/27/2010
  Q: i wondered if you can help me, i have a coin which is a tiny bit bigger than a penny, the colour of ...
  A: I would guess without seeing it, its a copper Dutch East Indies coin, made in the Netherlands for ...
1857 Calf. Gold (probably token, but date of origin?)2/15/2010
  Q: I've read many posts concerning California Gold tokens, and despite the many warnings, recently ...
  A: Your understanding is wrong. While they were never legal tender, the originals were always intended ...
Liberty Bust 1862 half dollar Confederate csilver coin1/22/2010
  Q: I came across this coin in an antique flea market in KY. The front of coin is a bust of ...
  A: You are confused. All American 1862 half dollars are the Seated Liberty Type. There are no American ...
Blake & Co Assayers $20 Gold Coin1/4/2010
  Q: We have we believe to be an original $20 Blake & Co Assayers Gold piece. Could you please take a ...
  A: I'm sorry to say that what you have is a fantasy piece. Blake did not make coins, only bars, so it ...
GOLD COIN11/13/2009
  Q: I contacted you to get help identifying my coin. You are supposed to be the expert! Why ask me about ...
  A: Ms. Davis. I provide a service, for free. It is a service that I charge $650.00 an hour to people ...
Morgan Dollars10/27/2009
  Q: Although the 1889-CC had more Morgans minted than the 1885-CC Morgans, the prices are considerably ...
  A: This is the short, very short version of the answer. The 1889CC was distributed and used in 1889, ...
1754 V coin unknown.10/18/2009
  Q: I picked this coin up in a pile of junk coins at the flea market. I have no idea where to even start ...
  A: This copper coin looks like the coinage of 1721 and 1722 authorized by an edict of french King Louis ...
dollar10/15/2009
  Q: Right now one dollar consists of ten dimes or 100 pennies, among other coins. Can you tell me ...
  A: Offically 1793, but these coins were not really plentful enough for commerce. Actually today a ...
1990 proof set no "s"9/29/2009
  Q: I have a 1990 P and D uncirculated coin set. It is in an envelope that says "The United States Mint ...
  A: The cent without a mint mark is the Philadelphia coin. As a rule any coin without a mint mark is ...
VALUE OF A 1776 SPANISH MEXICAN 8 REALES COIN9/23/2009
  Q: THE COIN IS IN MINT CONDITION AND IS AUTHENTIC.I WOULD LIKE TO SELL IT ON EBAY.WHAT WOULD A HONEST ...
  A: When you sell a coin on eBay and you really want to sell it, you start the coin at 99 cents. All ...
British coin 18318/27/2009
  Q: Can you please tell me what kind of coin this is? On the back it says Britanniar: Rea Fid: Def:. ...
  A: You don't give size but it is a half penny or a penny for sure. Thank you for being nasty with the ...
1882 USA One Troy Ounce7/16/2009
  Q: A friend of mine has a 1882 One Troy Ounce Coin and ask me if I could do some research on it for ...
  A: This is a US Morgan silver dollar, not a one troy ounce ingot, and it looks to be a cast counterfeit ...
$20/$100 Star notes and silver coins7/14/2009
  Q: I have a 20 dollar star note. the serial number is EL03420478*. It is from 2004 and to the left of ...
  A: I know and you don't. Ask someone else, smart alec. Don't be a jackoff, I do this for free so you ...
50 cent gold coin7/10/2009
  Q: We found a box of Krugerrands at my dad's house who passed away in March. With the Krugerrands, were ...
  A: The Pratt $5.00 Indian Heads are about $250.00 each, the $2.50 about $150.00, the Liberty $10.00 ...
confederate half dollar7/3/2009
  Q: I have a coin that on one side there is a shield with seven stripes and seven stars on it and above ...
  A: You have a reproduction of a Confederate Half Dollar. The Confederates never got around to making ...
Phillipino coin - 19446/26/2009
  Q: My name is Janice and my father was in the Navy during WWII. He would bring coins home to his ...
  A: The US acquired the Philippines and Cuba from Spain in the Spanish-American War of 1898, the one ...
California Gold Half-Dollar6/17/2009
  Q: I have 3 mint-condition very small round gold coins with an indian head on one side and a large ...
  A: If the reverse includes the words "Dollar" or "Dol", then you have privately minted gold coins made ...
Confederate Coin3/2/2009
  Q: I have a Confederate States of America coin and I have been unable to find out anything about it. It ...
  A: You have a fantasy coin. There are 12 cents, and 4 half dollars, and the are all accounted for. What ...
certified coin dealers2/6/2009
  Q: I am located in Ohio and was wondering how you would become a license coin dealer as a business. I ...
  A: There is no special state or Federal license required to become a professional Numismatist or Coin ...
$20 Double Eagle2/6/2009
  Q: I have had a $20 Double Gold eagle for 30 years tucked away in my desk. I am looking for the "mint ...
  A: There is no mint mark, so the coin was made in Philadelphia. If there were one, it would be a tiny ...
Bonded coin?1/14/2009
  Q: My sons and I are new to coin collecting. We found a 1968 penny that appears to be two pennies ...
  A: This is a common mint error. In your case one planchette and part of another planchette are indeed ...
kalakaua silver dollar1/11/2009
  Q: I am assuming that the attached photo is of a genuine King Kalakaua silver dollar. If indeed it is ...
  A: Your coin looks to be issued by the Kingdom of Hawaii. Your coin grades Good, perhaps Very Good. ...
1944 20 centavo U.S. made coin12/27/2008
  Q: my father has one and was wondering the origin and estimated value of the 1944 20 centavos coin. ...
  A: It was used in the Philippines. The US captured the island during the Spanish-American War in 1899. ...
old coin12/18/2008
  Q: What is it and its worth.
  A: This is a New Jersey Copper. It can be called a cent but it is state issued, not Federal. These were ...
blake and co12/9/2008
  Q: the same question asked by some one else Hi! well I've attained in my posession,a Blake co.assayers ...
  A: I have answered this question at least a 100 times. You have a replica. That is to say a fantasy ...
coin value12/2/2008
  Q: i have a 1889 morgan one dollar coin on the back it has the letter o on it .how can i find out the ...
  A: A common used but undamaged 1889-O Morgan dollar is worth about $15.00. A perfect, brand new one is ...
Chinese Silver Coin11/25/2008
  Q: I came across some Chinese silver coins. I was wondering if you might help identify them. They have ...
  A: I survived two wars. You think you can scare me. Can't take it that someone knows more than you ...
wheat penny11/19/2008
  Q: i would like to know what is brilliant satin proof. I have a 1936 wheat penny and would like to know ...
  A: A proof is a special method of manufacture meant for collectors entirely unlike a business strike, ...
Type and value of coins11/17/2008
  Q: My father just passed and we found some coins that date back into the late 1800's. In addition, I ...
  A: There is no way a novice can ensure getting fair value for coins without a lot of research. The ...
melt value vs. silver content11/1/2008
  Q: I notice that the silver content melt value of a 90% pre-64 US coin today is worth quite a bit less ...
  A: You are confusing two different prices. Junk silver US coins consist of war nickles, and pre 1964 ...
Presidential Dollars10/28/2008
  Q: Greetings. Could you advise on the current Presidential Dollar errors? Specifically what do you ...
  A: While I think that they are nice coins to collect by date and mint, they are way to common to invest ...
1833 Bust coins and 1846 Seated Dollar10/23/2008
  Q: Some time ago, I acquired a type set, part of which included an 1833 half dime, dime, quarter and ...
  A: You are correct when you are suspicious of coins with no color. All silver coins a hundred years old ...
wheat penny error 194?10/9/2008
  Q: I have a box full of wheat pennies I came across a wheat penny in very good shape I looked at the ...
  A: The cent was struck on a machine at the mint. The machine is greased regularly, with a heavy grease ...
mule coins rare9/19/2008
  Q: I am researching a role for a Lasse Halstrom film. My character comes across a rare penny nickle ...
  A: No such mule exits or could exist. Both coin dies would have to be the same size. If it did, like ...
silver9/18/2008
  Q: i just realized today when silver shot up 12% that it is still the lowest it's been in 3 years. ...
  A: There is no simple answer because I don't know anything about your income, age, and other ...
Ten dollar American 1904 gold piece8/17/2008
  Q: I received this coin from my cousin's estate. I am curious about the way the value is noted. I have ...
  A: Bob. Respectfully, there are at least 50 sites on the web you could have got this info from, so you ...
1894 Indian Head Cent8/5/2008
  Q: Mr. Berman you were chosen for my question based on my personal prefrence for your last name. Keith ...
  A: Mr. Berman. Your pretty good condition may not be my pretty good condition. With that said, between ...
quarters, dimes, & nickles from 1965-708/1/2008
  Q: I hear that, although not having the silver content of pre-1965 quarters, dimes, and nickles, that ...
  A: There is silver in half dollars, quarters and dimes until 1964. There is no silver in quarters and ...
value of my coins7/28/2008
  Q: I inherited a great deal of silver coins. But, I also have some one ounce pure silver anniversary ...
  A: What kind of help do you need? Value? The silver bars are worth about $16.00 per fine ounce, the ...
copper coins7/26/2008
  Q: can you please tell me if copper coins change tone and get ruined easily. I need to know this ...
  A: All copper coins can and do change color. If you are concerned about expensive coins, then only buy ...
Many inherited coins7/23/2008
  Q: Well i have many coins and i was wondering about the value of them. I have 4 buffalo nickels with ...
  A: Used nickles, about six to seven cents each, the 20 Franc, $225.00 if it is perfect, $187.00 with ...
1800 Coin7/16/2008
  Q: I am curently deployed in Afghan and ran across a local at a bazzar and he had about 40 1 dollar ...
  A: The entire known population of US Bust dollars that are genuine is in the hundreds, therefore to ...
Copper pennies7/12/2008
  Q: Is it true that copper pennies prior to 1981 are worth more than a penny for the copper content? An ...
  A: Yes and no. While they are currently worth .015 cents each, not 3 cents, it would be by the ton of ...
1999-2008 Proof State Quarters7/10/2008
  Q: Neil, I just bought a complete set of 1999 thru 2008 Proof State Quarters from HSN. What is the ...
  A: I can tell you you what I buy and sell them for, but there is no "value" in the sence of a fixed ...
1863 $2 bill 1917 series7/5/2008
  Q: Can you tell me the value of this bill? On the left side of the bill it says: Act of March 3rd ...
  A: Its hard to say because your description is so picular. First, there is an issuing authority of all ...
1928 $20 Dollar American Saint Gaudens Gold Coin6/16/2008
  Q: Hey Neil, I have a 1928 $20 American Saint Gaudens gold coin, however it was made into a necklace ...
  A: If the coin has been hanging in a necklace, the odds that it is still in perfect condition after all ...
1854 Seated Liberty5/10/2008
  Q: I have a quarter-sized or 50cent piece-sized silver coin with 1854 and a seated liberty on the ...
  A: It is called a love token, and they were popular from about the Civil War into the early 1900s in ...
Gold Bicentennial Quarter4/22/2008
  Q: The gold bicentennial quarter dated 1776-1976 looks just like a regular quarter except its gold ...
  A: The coin was plated outside of the mint and had no value to a coin collector. You are a nasty, mean ...
coin value4/16/2008
  Q: I have a coin dated 1863 it has an Indian head stamped on one side and is stamped"osborne & bro ...
  A: You have a US Civil War period token. There was little or no small change available to Northern ...
1945 W Mercury Dime3/26/2008
  Q: My son has a 1945 W Mercury dime that is in excellent condition and appears to be gold. I have two ...
  A: All Mercury dimes have a W, actualy a AW, for Adolph Weinman, the designer, on the obverse to the ...
1804 Silver Dollar Coin12/30/2007
  Q: An old family friend from the Philippines gave me 14 pieces of Silver Dollar coins upon learning ...
  A: You are by passing the first question, which is real or fake. This you can not do yourself. I will ...
1951 penny12/14/2007
  Q: I have a 1951 silver penny that the mint made by missake. I know it was worth over $2,000 back in ...
  A: I do not know where you got your information back then but I doubt it was worth $2000 in the 1970s. ...
copper toning12/2/2007
  Q: I recently purchased a 1924d lincoln cent & the color of the coin (obverse)ranges from bright red ...
  A: 99.9% of copper coins that are purple have been dipped. NGC or PCGS, fine. Some other grading ...
1854 Quarter dollar - defaced - engraved12/1/2007
  Q: I have an 1854 silver quarter dollar seated woman with staff and liberty shield that has had the ...
  A: It is called a Love Token, and were given by one lover to another. The practice was popular from ...
lists11/18/2007
  Q: Neil is there anywhere on the web that I can obtain the approximate value of a few U.S. Silver ...
  A: There are several, but they are only for the trade and cost money to use. Why don't you try ...
Lots of quarters!10/30/2007
  Q: My parents have given me a box of 2200 silver quarters to sell for them. Some have been rolled by ...
  A: Sell them to a coin dealer. Find a coin dealer in the phone book or I may be able to locate one near ...
1956 D Silver Plated10/17/2007
  Q: I have a 1956 D Lincoln Penny that is silver plated. It does not look to be tampered with. It ...
  A: If it is silver plated, it was done outside of the mint and has no value. If it is a cent struck on ...
1925 coin10/13/2007
  Q: do you know the value of a 1925 uncalculated gold twenty dollar coin? It was my grandfathers and is ...
  A: If uncirculated, at least $700. The plastic holder is not very helful information. What kind, who ...
a question about a silver certificate10/8/2007
  Q: I'm hoping you can help me out. I don't have a question about a coin but a silver certificate and am ...
  A: You have an 1891 one dollar silver certificate. If it is signed Rosecrans/Nebeker it is an Friedberg ...
HAWAIIAN GOLD DOLLAR10/7/2007
  Q: Written across the top is "KALAKAUA 1 KING OF HAWAII" Picture of man in center facing right, full ...
  A: I really don't know what you have but it is not a coin. King Kalakaua did not issue any gold coins ...
Help identify 2 small gold coins10/5/2007
  Q: 2 small gold coins, liberty head United States of America on face. The back sides have unusual ...
  A: What you have is a pair of earrings made of what is now called "Love Tokens" by collectors, a common ...
US coins9/24/2007
  Q: Why are coins dated? I know it signifies the year the coin was minted but why is that important?
  A: All US coins and most coins throughout history have a date and a mint mark. The date tells you when ...
1863 coin9/22/2007
  Q: today at work i found an old coin, dated 1863, the front has the head of a caucasian, im unsure of ...
  A: Its a tradesmens patrotic token from the Civil War. While the war was on, money has hoarded and hard ...
.999 USPS Medallions 1971+9/15/2007
  Q: We have a collection of .999 fine silver medallions dating back to 1971. I have tried to find value ...
  A: What you have are private issue medals. They were not issued by the USPS, which has never issued ...
unusual nickel9/11/2007
  Q: Going thru my deceased father's collection of coins, I discovered a very unusual 1960 D Jefferson ...
  A: You are not a pest. Have it certified by NGC or PCGS and get the final answer. I can not help you ...
dimes8/31/2007
  Q: I JUST GOT YOUR E-MAIL AND DID NOT APPRECIATE THE ANSWER YOU GAVE ME. I HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN ON ...
  A: This is the first time I have seen your question and I would be happy to help you. I do this for ...
Five Dollar Bill with red seal7/8/2007
  Q: I have a bill with a red seal date 1928. What does the red seal mean and what might it be worth ? ...
  A: US currency comes with seals of many colors: Green: Federal Reserve Notes,1963-date, unbacked paper ...
Value of coins7/2/2007
  Q: My father recently passed away. While going through his possessions I found silver coins that I ...
  A: I do not know any one near you. The best I can recommend is Arnie Saslow in South Orange ...
Old dollars, real or counterfeit?6/19/2007
  Q: I have six silver dollars, that I think are Mexican or Chinese counterfeits. They were only $25, ...
  A: They are made to fool tourists and greedy novice coin collectors on eBay and the like. I doubt if ...
error coin Kennedy Half Dollar5/24/2007
  Q: That you for volunteering your brain power to some mom who just wants extra money to pay the bills. ...
  A: Numismatic Guarantee Corporation (NGC) or Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). Google them for ...
Lincoln cent made of different metal5/11/2007
  Q: I recently found a 1973 Lincoln penny. What intrigues me is its color. Instead of being the normal ...
  A: Likely it is the usual copper than has been cleaned in a metal polish dip, which looks like brass, ...
value of 1899 liberty double eagle3/29/2007
  Q: I was given an 1899 gold Liberty $20 coin as a gift. I have compared it with pictures of coins ...
  A: The MM is this case makes no difference. While I can appreciate that you have an opinion on the ...
OVER DATES/OVER MINT MARK3/19/2007
  Q: I Don't Understand How An Overdate Or Over Mint Mark Could Occur.(Especially An Over Mint Mark) Did ...
  A: Dies for all the mints are prepared at the Philadelphia Mint from the Hubs (Master Dies). After each ...
$20 Ultra high Relief pattern, MCMVII12/30/2006
  Q: I would like to ask you how do I know the real value of a coin. My Dad collects coins and by reading ...
  A: First, remember to touch only the edges. Send me a photo and I'll tell you if it is real or an ...
1909-S Phillipines Peso Proof12/23/2006
  Q: I recently purchased a large collection of World coins. In these was a 1909-S Phillipines One Peso. ...
  A: The US Mint did not make a 1909 or a 1909S Proof Peso. They did make Proofs in 1903, 1904, 1905, ...
Statehood Quarters11/14/2006
  Q: My other half was handed a 2006 (Gold color) Nebraska Statehood quarter. Is it worth anything? Is ...
  A: Its is either a normal qurter that has been plated outside the mint or a mint error, a quarter ...
hi11/1/2006
  Q: how to figure out weather the note is NEW YORK/ATLANTA/ Cleveland & ETC ($10 2001 Cleveland Star ...
  A: Look at the serial number. There are 12 Reserve Banks. If the first letter in the serial number is A ...
coinI have just aquired9/19/2006
  Q: This coin was given me by an 82 year old friend. He inherated this coin from his father who owned ...
  A: Roy. Respectfully, there is 99.99% possibility that your coin is a reproduction. With that said, if ...
1905-S Liberty quarter eagle9/17/2006
  Q: this coin currently appears on an eBay auction. it doesn't exist, and CoinFacts says "all 1905 S ...
  A: There are at least two types, one fom the Middle East and one from the Far East, neither is ...
nickels9/15/2006
  Q: what is the history of materials used for making nickels? have they only been made from nickel? or ...
  A: The first coin in the US made from nickle was the Three Cent Nickle in 1865, a three cent peice ...
Possible Value US Gold Coin9/15/2006
  Q: A 1914 US $20 Gold piece available on auction site cased in plastic at least very fine condition ...
  A: I don't like common date Double Eagles as an investment, the lowest acceptable grade for any common ...
no subject8/21/2006
  Q: My son recently found a "silver" penny in his tip jar. I know that 1943 pennies were "silver" ...
  A: There is a very slight possibility that your cent was struck on a planchet intended for another ...
Morgan Dollars5/27/2006
  Q: can you please give a little more insight to the availabillity of certain year Morgan Silver ...
  A: WM. 1898 is a Redfeild Hoard date and there are tons of coins in every grade through MS65 except Gem ...
1899 Liberty 20 dollar gold coin5/3/2006
  Q: I have recently inherited the 1899 liberty 20 dollar gold coin. I was told it was given to a ...
  A: Mindy. Good question. Actually, she would not. The Queen does give money as gifts regularly in the ...
1855 Blake & Co. Assayers1/21/2006
  Q: I read with interest your reply to a question about an 1855 Blake & Co. Assayers coin. My father ...
  A: I can only give you an educated guess from the photographs, but with the well meaning story aside, I ...
dealers8/2/2005
  Q: how does one become a coin and/or currency dealer?
  A: From my 36 years of experience in the coin business, all coin dealers started either by apprenticing ...
wheat penny4/15/2005
  Q: How can I tell a geniune 1943 copper penny from a fake by looking at a picture? I asked the seller ...
  A: Since a real one will cost you at least $80,000.00 and probably a lot more, why would you buy one at ...
grading4/2/2005
  Q: I was just given a nice coin collection by my father in law. After looking it over it seems that ...
  A: You ask some very pointed questions from an educated mind, something I don't get too often at this ...
Gold coin2/24/2005
  Q: I have a 1866 $20 Gold Liberty with motto. Here are detail pictures: ...
  A: Great coin. DO NOT TOUCH IT EXCEPT BY THE EDGE AND DO NOT CLEAN IT. I will check the price and get ...
canadian nickels1/28/2005
  Q: What does MS-63 or 64 mean and what does ICCS mean? How do I know If I have reg. coins or special ...
  A: Way to broad a question. I wrote a 325 page book to answer that question, but in its simplist form ...
odd pillar dollar12/9/2004
  Q: I recently was relic hunting at a 1790 indian wars battle site. I recovered a number of musketballs, ...
  A: They started making Pillar Dollars in 1733 and probably started counterfieting them the same year. ...
penny12/7/2004
  Q: What is a penny made of? Is it copper and something else?
  A: A penny is an English coin. Here in America we have cents, and they are made of 95.0% copper, 5.0% ...
red11/29/2004
  Q: what do people mean by "red" ? does it mean that the coin in question has been appraised? or does ...
  A: Red, literally, is the color of brand new bronze or copper coins. As the oxidize they get darker ...
$50 gold eagles11/25/2004
  Q: I hope you can help me...I did a possibly foolish thing this past summer. I bought some gold coins ...
  A: Yes indeed, they did change the hub (Master die) and the earlier coins are more softly struck. Not ...
US Silver Eagles11/6/2004
  Q: I am interested in setting up a business (more like a hobby) of selling Silver Eagle BU. However, ...
  A: Not easily, I can tell you that. Do you want to sell them or buy and sell them? If you are only ...
Rare Coin?11/3/2004
  Q: I have a copper coin similar to a penny. One side has a US flag on a pole surrounded by a circle of ...
  A: What you have is called a patriotic token. During the American Civil War (1861-65) the North ran out ...
silver dollar10/21/2004
  Q: I have recently found in an old safe an 1885 silver dollar. Not being any kind of collector I don't ...
  A: The value depends on how new or used the coin is. If you send me photos of each coin front and back ...
Gold Value 186510/12/2004
  Q: Greetings, I am writing a fictional novel and need to know the value of 200 pounds of pure gold in ...
  A: Cary. In 1865 gold was worth $34.00 an ounce, or $544.00 per pound. A working man might have earned ...
US 1975 dime10/10/2004
  Q: I just got a US 1975 dime but in yellow color. Is this somekind special coin? Thanks.
  A: All US coins are now made of a copro-nickle compound, which replaced silver in 1964. These are ...
Commemorative Coin10/8/2004
  Q: Looking up what a 'token' of Kansas' bicentennial commemorative coin may be worth for a friend. ...
  A: What you have is indeed a token, which is not a commemorative. They are private issue and every year ...
Silver Quarters10/2/2004
  Q: Neil, My wife and I found a bag full of $500.00 in silver quarters in our new house when we moved ...
  A: Maybe. Seperate the coins by date and email a list at nsberman@msn.com. Do NOT clean them. If there ...
Old Gold Coins10/1/2004
  Q: I~m not a collector but have the following items and wonder if they are of significant value. 1.Gold ...
  A: Coins derive much of their value from their condition. That being said, and without knowing the ...
Identifying coins9/6/2004
  Q: I have three coins that I need help identifying how much they could be worth and the type of coin. I ...
  A: Condition. It depends on how "new" the coin is. The more perfect the coin, the more the coin it is ...
coins9/4/2004
  Q: i have a coin that is a phillapino coin but says property us government what is it and what is its ...
  A: The coins you ask about were made for the Philippines by the US Mint from 1903 to 1919 and 1944-45 ...
Coin Values8/14/2004
  Q: What is the best way of determining the value of a collection of coins given to me? I have no ...
  A: Yhere is no way for a non professional to put a value on coins. You would need to known how to grade ...
1953 US Cent, Micro Dbld 38/10/2004
  Q: Bought 20 of these cents at coin club auction grades ranging from Fine to MS-63+. Can you tell me ...
  A: I don't handle Lincoln cents by die variety, but there are a couple of books on the subject. Try: ...
1883 Hawaii Dollar7/25/2004
  Q: I have two of this coins in a lot better condition then any I've seen. One of them is in such good ...
  A: The 1883 Hawaii Dollar is a reasonably scarce coin in the upper grades. A really new one could be ...
5$ liberty half eagle 18437/20/2004
  Q: I have a coin of 5$ of year 1843 and I would like the value that it can have in the market and how I ...
  A: If it is real, it is worth between $50 if it is damaged to $1000 if it is perfect and new. I can not ...
gold coin value7/17/2004
  Q: I have a 1819 polish gold coin 50 z lot mint no IB. What can you tell me about this coin and value. ...
  A: What you have is a Polish coin issued under the Russian Czar Alexander I (1815-1825) when Poland was ...
Coin Question7/14/2004
  Q: I am just starting to get interested in coins my grandpa has passed on some coins to me and it looks ...
  A: Buy yourself a "Red Book", A Guide Book of United States Coins" by R. S. Yeoman published by Whitman ...
Mercury Dime7/12/2004
  Q: How do I tell the letter or minting place on a mercury dime I have several of different years I have ...
  A: The Winged Liberty Head, or the so called "Mercury" Head Dime was made in both the main mint at ...
coin collection!6/20/2004
  Q: iam liza from india.i am interestd in collecting coins.please tell me how to go about it? though i ...
  A: Buy a copy of Numismatic News, 700 State Street, Iola, WI 54990 US, or go on the internet under ...
U.S. quarters6/20/2004
  Q: I have a friend who has a quarter that is a double face,both heads, but the thing with this coin it ...
  A: Your friend has what is called a magicians coin, which are made from two coins halved and put back ...
U.S. Mint Proof set -- what grade?6/16/2004
  Q: Is a set of coins ordered directly from the U.S. Mint encased in their proof set (one coin of each, ...
  A: Matt & Larie. They are considered Proof. They have no grade because they have not yet been graded. ...
Value6/11/2004
  Q: What is the value of a 1915 2.5 cent Gold piece in mint condition, and the value of an 1892 5 dollar ...
  A: The first coin is a 1915 Indian Quarter Eagle, that is $2.50 gold, is worth about $180.00 if it is ...
Gold Am. Eagle & State Quarter Rolls6/10/2004
  Q: I have purchase 2 consecutive wks of Greysheet Coin Dealer Newsletter hoping to find some info on ...
  A: First, the good news. I found the Proof American Eagles on the Gray Sheet, so to speak. I can't tell ...
Relative value of gold coins6/1/2004
  Q: Assuming that the condition is the same, is there a list of values of U.S. Gold $20. coins between ...
  A: You would also need to know the mint. Condition, date and mint equals value, assuming demand is the ...
looking to collect5/29/2004
  Q: I am interested in collecting out of country money but don't know how to start, i am ...
  A: Foreign banknotes are not my speciality. That said, go to Mid West Bank Note Supply at ...
1891 double eagle value5/23/2004
  Q: I have a 1891 double eagle that is in very good shape and wondering if you could give me an idea of ...
  A: Well, we have a couple of issues to deal with to establish value. First what is it, that is to say ...
US QUARTER5/20/2004
  Q: THE WEIGHT OF THE QUARTER IS 5.7 GRAMS
  A: The coin weight is correct, therefore the coins metal composition is correct. The "sandwhiched" ...
Three days ago I asked a question...5/15/2004
  Q: Three days ago I asked a question for the first time. The response I received was that you had ...
  A: Tim. Automated responce? Whatever. I do not know the answer to your question but I happen to be ...
Blake assayers co.20 dollar gold coin5/1/2004
  Q: well I've attained in my posession,a Blake co.assayers 20 dollar golden coin with 1855 on it,and ...
  A: Blake & Company operated out of Sacramento, California from December, 1855 until May, 1858, prior to ...
Bufflo nickel5/1/2004
  Q: I found a Bufflo nickel. can't really see the date, it looks like 1923. there is the letter F under ...
  A: Indian Head or Buffalo Type nickles as they are often called were made from 1913 to 1938 and are ...
1993 Clinton4/24/2004
  Q: I have a numbered 1993 Bill Clinton twenty dollar piece and can't seem to find any information on it ...
  A: Sorry to say I don't know for sure either. But I can tell you, with the exception of the ...
$10 Error4/12/2004
  Q: I work at a horse racing track as a mutual teller and came across a very interesting $10 bill this ...
  A: What you have is called an offset. They are not common but there not rare either. A common offset, ...
1943 D penny again4/10/2004
  Q: I SPOKE TO YOU EARLIER AND LOOKING AT THE PENNY IT DOESN'T SEEM TO BE A MISPRINT. ? CAN YOU HELP...?
  A: I explained in our first communication there was very little chance that the Cent in question wold ...
1943 D penny4/10/2004
  Q: I HAVE A PENNY IN VF CONDITION. STEEL I THINK BUT NO RUST. L IS PARTIALLY CUT OFF IN LIBERTY. CAN ...
  A: As you apparently already know, all but a couple of 1943D Cents are made of steel. Unless you have ...
coin value determination4/8/2004
  Q: i have some 20 dollar liberty head gold coins that are from 1933, and i was wondering why some of ...
  A: You seem to have a couple of issues confused. 1. There were no Liberty Head, called correctly, ...

All Questions in This Category

Coin and Paper Money Collecting

Neil S Berman

Top Expert on this page