Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Pharmacy Scale

Pharmacy Scale
Pharmacy Scale  
Hello, I have a beautiful pharmacy scale, where the glass slides up on both sides. It is in beautiful shape. I have pictures. I am not a collector of scales, but I do have some, so I do like them. Scales are just part of my love for antiques. Anyway, I did a very stupid thing. I accidently threw out the pans that hang down, you know, the pans that hang on each side, where the item to be sold goes on one side and the weight goes on the other. Like I said, I do have pictures of it, with the pans that I took. I think it is a beautiful piece. I also think it was made by Ainsworth. It has the original instructions with it as well as all little gram weights, so it is pretty complete. I had the pans wrapped up in bubble wrap, and they are so light that they were in a pile of bubble wrap and when I pitched the bubble wrap, they were in it. Can you help me or direct me to someone who can? I would appreciate any help that you could possibly provide. Thank you.

Hi Perry,

We're sorry to have taken so long to answer your question. We have been sick.

We recommend a book, "The Assay Balance, Its Evolution & the Histories of the Companies that made them" by John & Geraldine Shannon. While both Assay and Analytical Balances are Precision Balances they are used for totally different purposes. An Assay Balance is used in the analysis of fine metal ores to determine their degree of purity or degree of alloying while an Analytical Balance is used for the analysis of materials in a laboratory. As a general rule Assay Balances, also called 'Button Balances,' have smaller pans than do Analytical Balances.  

There are no retail sources of replacement parts that we know of.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia