Collectibles-General (Antiques)/metal lamp shade

Norval wrote at 2014-04-21 08:31:09
Hi, I have just come across your picture. I have a complete lamp shade of that style in my sitting room. Mine is all cream in colour otherwise identical. It was left in a house which my grandfather bought in 1939. He always reckoned it was of American origin as the previous owners of the house were from there. Until he died in 1986 it was the ceiling light in his hallway. I love it. Willing to send a photograph if you want.

Gary T. wrote at 2014-04-30 01:35:04
Stuart, I have similar lamps, by Edward Miller & Company, circa 1920.  They are ceiling lamps.  A chain comes down to a cylinder which holds the light bulb.  This cylinder has 3 swiveling arms which go through the opening in the shade and hold it in place.  The wide part of the shade faces the ceiling.  A round disk of custard or milk glass covers the smaller opening in the shade.  The arms hold the glass disk in place.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Stuart Driver