Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Monitor Furniture Company

Bob wrote at 2009-03-24 02:34:55
Monitor Furniture of Jamestown was a company owned by my grandfather Burton Tuxford and Robert Bergquist.  The company specialized in solid cherry furniture.  I have a bedroom suite from the company.  The chest of drawers and dresser were all hand made such that each drawer fits ideally in its proper location only.

That Decorating Woman! wrote at 2010-09-29 00:17:04
By now you have found the secret compartments (there are four!).   We have a Monitor Secretary (if it was built in 1976 it should have a special label {ours was made later ;-(} and to this day we keep nothing in the secret compartments.  We do, however, show every visitor the secret compartments!   Not so secret, huh?  

smoki wrote at 2013-03-16 23:48:22
I inherited a secretary from this company, with a plate indicating the dealer was

Colony House, Wash. DC, which I believe was founded in 1937. That would match with when my great-aunt would have bought it.  I see many similar to it in antique shops in various states of disrepair. The best are priced at $1000. The others mostly from $250 to $500. I haven't seen one exactly like it, so I guess this was a favorite style of reproduction during that time?  Love the secret compartments!

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida