Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Maddox secretary desk

run_in_mudd wrote at 2013-08-16 06:22:01
This post was a long time ago -- but for posterity, I'd like to add that Maddox Colonial Reproductions are ABSOLUTELY collectors items in 2013 -- and while they may not fetch into the thousands, depending on how lavishly made the piece you have is, and the overall condition... a decent Winthrop slant-front with or without the bookcase top can still be had for 200-400 dollars (2013).

Maddox made fine furniture pieces which are, luckily, quite attainable for their sheer visual appeal.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida