Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Christian Becker scale

Dear Bill & Jan
I have a scale collection and my regarding my CB enclosed glass sided scale, I did something really dumb also, my last interstate move I carefully packed the scale and put the little metal barbell looking piece that is lifted off the rails by the outside control somewhere safe so it would not be I need that piece to make the scale functional, can you help me?
Thanks for anything that you can do

Hi Ralph,

We recommend the book "The Assay Balance: Its Evolution and the Histories of the Companies that Made Them" by John and Geraldine Shannon. It is the best book on the topic that we know of.

It is difficult if not impossible to replace the parts for a Becker balance.  There are no retail sources of replacement parts that we know of.

Sorry we can't help more.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia