Collectibles-General (Antiques)/help with antique scale

Tom Wei wrote at 2010-05-17 11:10:09
Dear Sir,

Could you tell me what's the meaning of MDCV" marked on the Scale?

Because I once bought such similar scale in a small town of Holland.

I also searched and got some information from WorthPoint. It said "Ornate rare antique MDCV solid Brass Balance Beam Scale."

Thanks a lot.

Tom Wei

scoopy wrote at 2011-02-13 02:15:25

I have the same scale and it has a sticker on it made in Italy.  And i also have the counter balance ball. would this increase the value? And it is solid brass as well.

Eric Little wrote at 2014-03-17 20:09:01
These scales were in the 1939 movie Gone With the Wind.  I have seen the movie and saw the scales.  The scales are 29 inches tall with a white marble base.  The oldest certification date is 1817.

My wife bought me the scales in 1979 for my 30th birthday.

Watch the movie.

Eric Little

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia