Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Rocking Chair

Toni Van Gilder wrote at 2010-04-07 03:22:58
I have this exact chair also.  It was found in a barn and refinished by my mom in the 50's or there abouts in Illinois.  I was told some years later that there were 4 made like this done in cherry, walnut, oak and mahogany, obviously if you and I both have an oak one than his theory is incorrect.  Any knowledge about the carver of this chair would be appreciated.  We have been told that there are evil spirits concerning this chair also.  

Wayne wrote at 2016-04-04 18:09:58
I have just finished reupholstering an oak chair looking exactly like this. The construction of the chair frame is simple corner blocks nailed, the side 'stretcher' boards are doweled. The seat spring assembly is circa 1900-1920 (6) coil with hanging zigzag bent steel that was end bent, sharpened ends hammered into top of sides. I have replaced them as they lost all tensile strength. Replaced with (9) eight-way hand tied ten gauge 6" coil springs as man who commissioned this job is older and heavy set. Used new foam and Dacron to replace stained and smelly straw horsehair and cotton with deck pad underneath. Topped with seam supported (decorative) oxblood red leather. Finished with tarnished brass nailheads. I have been told that the face is either "Old Man Oak, or Spirit Of The Wood". These are collectable as in almost 40years of furniture work this is the first I've seen.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Michael Andrew Wilson

I will attempt to answer questions about European Antique Furniture and 20th Century Decorative arts and Design furniture, including 18th century & 19th century construction details, style, period and the craftsmen and manufactures that created them, I will also attempt to answer questions about buying European Antiques and how to become a expert collector, my speciality is French, Italian, English, Irish, Spanish, Belgium, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, German, and Swiss.

Since 1995, I have been, a professional art, antiques and design advisor and earned an unparalleled reputation for providing select clients: expertise in making informed purchase decisions for antiques and art acquisition from a wide range of categories and eras. Architects, interior designers, decorators, dealers, museums, collectors and private clients rely on me for a wide variety of services. I specialize in finding and facilitating the purchase of some of the most notable pieces in the market today. And because I know the market so well –including the secret locations where the world's best dealers purchase their stock – I are generally able to do this at a significant saving of both time and money. My service includes: creating collecting and acquisition strategy including organizing personally guided buying trips throughout the International art and antiques markets, pre-shopping research, sourcing, analysis of markets, documentation and expert appraisals, handling, shipping and delivery coordination. In short, everything my clients need to be assured of the most knowledgeable, reliable, and pleasurable sourcing, acquisition and collecting experience. My approach is to offer maximum transparency. You can visit my website at:

Moving to Paris in 1989, I worked, for five years as an Interior Design Project Manager for Polo Ralph Lauren where I helped to plan and open more than 60 Polo stores and showrooms across Europe and purchased antiques for one of Mr. Lauren's homes and as a result I oversaw the purchase of millions of dollars of Art & Antiques, this experience gave a unique qualifications to understand the complexities of this market and gives me a rare insight into the professional antique & art market. I also have taught “Furniture Design and Style” at the IESA (Institute Arts Superior) in Paris. and have a personal archive of over 170,000 photos of Furniture and 160 hours of video of the major European art and antiques fairs including: Paris’s Biennale des Antiquaires , Maastricht’s TAAF , and London’s Grosvenor House. Some of these videos can be see at:

I have a prestigious international clientele of noted business and entertainment figures as well as some of the word’s most important collectors, References are provided for serious enquires.