Collectibles-General (Antiques)/copper haystack measure

plumber wrote at 2012-09-01 20:16:38
would you like to sell this jug or know where i could buy one

Ashley, Adelaide wrote at 2014-10-25 05:50:24
The GR (George Rex) mark along with the dovetail seam strongly indicates your jug was made early in the reign of George V (1910-1936), in all probability before WW1 (1914-1918). Thereafter mostly seams were pressed rather than dovetailed. To a collector a dovetailed jug is far more prized.

Ashley, Adelaide  

Royal Navy Rum Collector wrote at 2017-02-02 10:52:36
The H/15 on the lead seal denotes that the measure was tested in August 1915 - 'H' being August, 15 being 1915.

If this is the only mark of it's type, it suggests that the measure was made in Birmingham and capacity tested at the Birmingham Weights and Measures office. ( Birmingham UK of course! ).

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Measureman