Collectibles-General (Antiques)/American Balance Corp.

LF wrote at 2011-01-04 19:42:46
Hi Stephen, Bill & Jan,

I just found one of these scales, and have been digging around for info on them. Mine is missing a stirrup. Do you know where I might be able to find one?

Thanks

tjkoko wrote at 2011-12-17 20:02:45
I have the comple scale for sale.  The item is fully functional, shows normal wear, and includes all parts and three sets of standard weights.

Gus Kilthau wrote at 2015-10-26 18:21:50
I had a summer school vacation job working for Harry Christian Becker at the American Balance Corportation (48 Potter Avenue, New Rochelle, NY - 1948)  Several things:  The balances were manufactured of parts, many of which were individually shaped and constructed to fit within a single balance. That is, parts were often not interchangeable from one unit to another during assembly. Another thing - Harry Becker and I made a special delivery of a very large, customized balance to the U.S Testing Corporation in Hoboken, New Jersey one day.  Perhaps they can give you information about this unusually large balance.

Regards, Gus Kilthau

Carol Becker wrote at 2016-03-20 23:33:08
My dad was hoping to purchase one of my dad's balances---he sold many to colleges between 1947 on.  My dad took us to Vermont to repair a scale at a college there.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning