Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Stickley & Brandt captain's chair

The Stickley Museum wrote at 2010-04-15 13:30:20
It is untrue that all Stickley was labeled. Stickley & Brandt were infrequently labeled.  We have just aquired a similar "fancy chair" from a descendent of a Stickley & Brandt worker. I can't say for sure if yours is a Stickley & Brandt, but if it is the estimated date of "1920s" is also inaccurate - the company declared bankruptcy in 1918.  More likely the chair was made in the last decade of the 19th century or first decade of the 20th century.  

Ken wrote at 2010-07-25 00:38:40
I have the identical chair with a label on the seat bottom. Stickley & Brandt ceased operation in 1918. It is a mixture of styles but it is also a exceedingly handsome chair.  

abbeynormal wrote at 2014-02-12 02:01:04
I recently purchased this chair at auction, truly spectacular and very comfortable too.  No label anywhere on mine either.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971