Collectibles-General (Antiques)/school desk

Charlie wrote at 2012-12-14 03:29:47
Even though this is an old question.. I disagree with this totally. If the repair job isn't done right.. then value could be lost. Time and time again, people take repairs into their own hand and end up ruin the item though in their eyes.. it was made better. Wire brushes are usually the culprit. Original paint adds value as well.

It may increase the value to a decorator.. but to a collector.. your item may be considered junk.

Tough call.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971