Collectibles-General (Antiques)/1886 Howe Scale

Bill wrote at 2013-01-21 03:34:39
Glad I found this question and answer!!  I just picked up this same scale from the hardware store that my father was the 3rd generation to own.  He is now in his late 80's.  He was very upset when the scale was rejected for use in 1987.  (I think he continued to use it many years after in the outbuilding the nails were in, then just verified the amount on electronic scales when completeing the sell!)

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia