Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Hibriten chair

Laura Robbins Johnston wrote at 2011-03-07 17:37:33
Hibriten Chair Co. was founded by my grandfather in the 1920's.

he did purchase another factory but it was not Lenoir Chair, nor was our business ever any part of Broyhill Furniture. Hibriten Furniture Co. was a separate company founded by my great-uncle. Later, both companies became part of Bernhardt Furniture Co.

annika700 wrote at 2012-09-03 19:12:03

From Laura Robbins Johnston, 3/7/2011  1:15 PM

There were two companies--Hibriten Furniture C0. and Hibriten Chair Co. in Lenoir, N.C. Hibriten Furniture was founded in the 1920's by my great-uncle and Hibriten Chair was founded a few years later by my grandfather. There were three presidents of the company-

Robey C. Robbins--my grandfather

Orrin R. Robbins--my uncle

George C. Robbins--my father

My uncle died in 1970 and my father became president at that time. HFC had become part of Bernhardt Furniture in the late 50s or early 60s. HCC joined them in 1972.

Hibriten Chair Co. was known for its extremely high quality of solid mahogany french reproductions and other styles of furniture. All visible wood was either mahogany or walnut.

foxchair wrote at 2016-08-13 03:04:43
I have a newspaper from Lenoir NC datd Dec 11, 1924 that says R C Robbins & G C Robbins did buy the Lenoir chair plant.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida