Collectibles-General (Antiques)/computing scale

LarDee wrote at 2015-11-24 00:19:28
Hello... I am LarDee and I run an exclusive Antiques Store/Boutique in Seneca, Missouri and I acquired one of these wonderful scales just recently...  I see this question was posted many years ago, and I have stumbled across it in my research. I have noticed a considerable amount of change in the values of these scales in the past few years.  One like yours made in Dayton Ohio Patented in 1913 yet had a white marble plate not glass and has not been restored in any manner going for $800.00 and several in UN-restored condition listing and selling for as much as $1850.00.  Ebay is listing for any where from $599.00 to $1000.00 for such scales. I am not sure if this is a positive up-trend or just a hick-up in time... But time will tell. I found mine such a treasure I have decided to keep her as a fixture for my store, Oh what wonderful charm she brings... Hope this helps with your bearings...  LarDee  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia