Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique luggage

TiffanyM wrote at 2012-04-14 18:09:26
I wanted to add to this because i am having a similar problem i also have a matching set of luggage with the same alligator patterned trim and the under side of my clasps read in very small print R22 under that is an italic style print that reads GKG and then beneath that it reads made in the USA. It has no other identifying markings or tags. I believe at one time there may have been a satin like paper tag on the inside top but cant say for sure. let me know if any of this helps you find the designer i would love to know. thank you

Matt wrote at 2013-07-21 00:27:42
The PL hallmark is Presto Lock co inc.  The cases were most likely made by National Leather Goods. Hope this helps.

history in your hands wrote at 2014-05-03 02:15:28
I have a similar piece which has a small plate that reads "Star-Craft" luggage of quality. There is a star on the left hand side. Also have seen similar with a mark of "Carson". Mine has no marks on the clasps. It is faux alligator trim.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Marvin D. Miller

I can answer questions related to antique trunks, their age, manufacturers, styles, patents, etc, including all types of trunks such as steamer trunks, saratoga trunks, Victorian trunks, slat trunks, toy and doll trunks, stagecoach trunks, valises, hat trunks, and others.

I have over 40 years experience in trunk restoration, collecting, and research. I own the most extensive collection of historical documents, catalogs, maker's labels, cards, etc. related to antique trunks. I am always updating my inventory of historical documents and antique trunks.

Association of American Antique Trunk Restorers, President.

Primarily on the website Cotton & Quail Antiques newspaper (Southeast). Antique Journal magazine.

Bachelor of Arts from the University of Georgia. I have conducted extensive research related to the topic of trunk manufacturers and trunk styles in the U.S. and Europe.

Have consulted for the Pawn Stars TV show on antique trunks. I have sold antique trunks to museums in California and Florida and to customers around the world.