Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Charlotte Chair Company

Julie wrote at 2012-03-14 14:53:02
There was a Charlotte Chair Company in Charlotte MI from 1912 to the 1980's when they were sold to another company in the Grand Rapids area.  They began making dining room chairs only that were typically sold to other furniture manufacturers to go with tables.  They eventually also made chairs for restaurants, offices, and even for the Chicago Civic Center.  Their chairs were known for a special patented locking method for securing the seat and arms to the back that made for an exceptionally strong chair.

I couldn't tell you a value on the items. The above information I found when researching the history of the building they operated out of as I recently purchased it.

RW wrote at 2012-07-01 21:00:39
I also have a Charlotte Chair Company small bedroom chair, mahagony with a carved rose on the back.  I know my mother had this for years, before 1950s.  Same label as yours, No:1300-1; Chair: 1302, grade A.  does this help?

Keith Reynolds wrote at 2012-09-24 22:51:46
I am from Charlotte, Michigan, and my grandfather worked at the Charlotte Chair Company. The company is gone now, but the building is still there. They made some really fine wood furniture, steaming wood to make curved backs for the chairs.

robert klein wrote at 2012-12-25 06:17:49
additional information on the company.

http://www.charlottelibrary.org/Local%20Genealogy/CharlotteChairCompany.pdf

robert klein

Irma wrote at 2013-04-22 18:15:57
I have 2 chairs from the Charlotte Chair Company; I originally had 6, but I gave 4 to other family members.

My label is No. 1306, Cover # 692, Grade B.

Still wondering if there is any value.

I'm about to re-apholster and wonder if I should leave the original fabric which is still on the chair.

steve wrote at 2015-02-11 23:36:47
I live in charlotte michigan and we used to have a chair etc. Factory downtown for a lot of years. It has been closed down for quite a few years now, but the factory building is still there.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein